I got my FPS back!

Short story: ACC used to run crappy on my senior PC, now it doesn't. I'm not gonna explain a thing because it's all well written here in plain english: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

You need to see hidden folders for this path:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Copy and paste this in the very bottom, thanks for the beer.

[ConsoleVariables] r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1 r.DistanceFieldAO=0 r.HZBOcclusion=0 r.LensFlareQuality=0 r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0 r.SSR=0 r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24 r.DetailMode=0 r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1 r.AllowLandscapeShadows=0 r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0

1 lap at MISANO, SUNSET
COMPARISON.png

Cattura.PNG

DEFAULT: Avg: 56.9 - Min: 43 - Max: 70
MODDED: Avg: 62.3 - Min: 46 - Max: 78

FPS Diff.: Avg: +5.4 - Min: +3 - Max: +8

Thanks @2stains for the AO suggestion.

Last edited:
I used a couple of strings from the engine.ini of @2stains and here are the benchmarks I did at Silverstone with and without the modded ini file:

original: Avg: 66.167 - Min: 60 - Max: 73
modded: Avg: 73.583 - Min: 68 - Max: 76

fps.PNG

Not much better peak fps, but waaay smoother game. I can't see the difference visually, expecially during driving.

Last edited:
I used a couple of strings from the engine.ini of @2stains and here are the benchmarks I did at Silverstone with and without the modded ini file:

original: Avg: 66.167 - Min: 60 - Max: 73
modded: Avg: 73.583 - Min: 68 - Max: 76

View attachment 422128

Not much better peak fps, but waaay smoother game. I can't see the difference visually, expecially during driving.
I noticed a AO difference is stills I took. I can post screenshots later. It is mainly visible on the rollcage in cockpit . So better visuals yet gains in performance. Amazing.

• Deleted member 197115

I've been testing Engine.ini files today taking screenshots and driving laps comparing FPS in clear weather and found this file to run highest FPS while adding AO that isn't there with the default Engine file and my current settings !!
ATM i have 5 different Engine.ini files renamed and swapping between them to find this to be best imo ;)
and this is my current "final" settings for 1080p triples on 1080Ti/7700k ;)
AO Quality is controlled by Post Processing settings, and is disabled if it's set to Low, and while looking prettier does add measurable performance overhead.
You can check Users\<You>\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Logs\AC2.log
for the actual vars applied during app loading. Some settings from your engine might not even get recognized (ignored). E.g TemporalAASharpness which is not in the default engine implementation.

Last edited by a moderator:
AO Quality is controlled by Post Processing settings, and is disabled if it's set to Low, and while looking prettier does add measurable performance overhead.
You can check Users\<You>\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Logs\AC2.log
for the actual vars applied during app loading. Some settings from your engine might not even get recognized (ignored). E.g TemporalAASharpness which is not in the default engine implementation.
Thanks.
Having set PP to low and the applying AO in the engine.ini seems to be where the gains are coming. Whatever is being applied is working for me, both visually and performance wise. The games looks as good /better while gains CPU overhead.

• Deleted member 197115

Thanks.
Having set PP to low and the applying AO in the engine.ini seems to be where the gains are coming. Whatever is being applied is working for me, both visually and performance wise. The games looks as good /better while gains CPU overhead.
Yes, doing it that way bypasses all other automatically enabled with PP Quality options. It is better for performance, not free though, from my tests in VR I was losing about 0.5ms frametime.
You can check Scalability Reference on which values are tied to different PP settings.
And AC2.log is golden for finding overlaps, ignored, and loaded console vars.

Yes, doing it that way bypasses all other automatically enabled with PP Quality options. It is better for performance, not free though, from my tests in VR I was losing about 0.5ms frametime.
You can check Scalability Reference on which values are tied to different PP settings.
And AC2.log is golden for finding overlaps, ignored, and loaded console vars.
As noted by @Giovaneveterano this .in file is helping quite a lot across the frame rate, min,max, average. If people wanted it would be easy to remove the AO but from my limited testing on that it seemed worth the minor hit for added fidelity.
That link is informative but I'm leaving be ATM. ACC is running and looking the best it has ever right now and I'm not about to mess with that ;)

I noticed a AO difference is stills I took. I can post screenshots later. It is mainly visible on the rollcage in cockpit . So better visuals yet gains in performance. Amazing.
Modded Engine.ini file
20201122125020_1 - Copy.jpg

Default Engine.ini file
20201122125211_1.jpg

I circled the easiest to see difference but i'll leave it to you guys to find the others ;) I see 5 easy spots :)

Im also just now noticing the VRAM/RAM usage is quite a lot higher in the modded file image :geek: (as seen in top right corner)

Last edited:
Modded Engine.ini file
View attachment 422188
Default Engine.ini file
View attachment 422190
I circled the easiest to see difference but i'll leave it to you guys to find the others ;) I see 5 easy spots :)

Im also just now noticing the VRAM/RAM usage is quite a lot higher in the modded file image :geek: (as seen in top right corner)
Nice! Gonna try this too!
The AO makes a massive difference... I don't care too much about the rest. Textures, AA/Smoothness, colours, Shadows and to some degree reflections is what's important to me.
So being able to mix low for some stuff while keeping the good stuff is very nice, thanks!

AC2.log is golden for finding overlaps, ignored, and loaded console vars.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna check which strings I wrote in the engine.ini are not actively used by ACC.

The AO makes a massive difference
Apparently, with the settings that @2stains suggested, the AO doesn't impact performance while it definitely improve the visual fidelity. So it's a win-win. I still kept the distance field AO disabled, as I couldn't find any significant visual improvement, but around 5fps loss. I updated the engine.ini in the first post.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Some VR measurements
AOquality=1
fpsVR Report: App: Assetto Corsa Competizione HMD: HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20 (60.000 Hz, IPD 68.0) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (27.21.14.5730) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz Delivered fps: 59.29 Duration: 3.8min. GPU Frametimes: Median: 15.4 ms 99th percentile: 19.1 ms 99.9th percentile: 23.2 ms frametime <16.7ms(vsync): 86.5% CPU frametime: Median: 5.8 ms 99th percentile: 8.5 ms 99.9th percentile: 13.5 ms frametime <16.7ms(vsync): 100% Max. SteamVR SS: 50% Render resolution per eye: 2240x2188(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 3168x3097)
AOquality=0
fpsVR Report: App: Assetto Corsa Competizione HMD: HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20 (60.000 Hz, IPD 68.0) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (27.21.14.5730) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz Delivered fps: 59.38 Duration: 3.9min. GPU Frametimes: Median: 15.1 ms 99th percentile: 18.1 ms 99.9th percentile: 22.7 ms frametime <16.7ms(vsync): 90.9% CPU frametime: Median: 5.5 ms 99th percentile: 7.9 ms 99.9th percentile: 12.7 ms frametime <16.7ms(vsync): 100% Max. SteamVR SS: 50% Render resolution per eye: 2240x2188(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 3168x3097)

7.5% higher CPU median frametime
1.9% higher GPU median.

Not super bad, but not free either. :(

EDIT: Had another control run and got 3% drop on GPU side. 14.9 vs 15.4ms.

Nice, certainly not something I can see while playing hence me saying it seemed "free" .
Have you done this same test with PP on so AO is enabled and disabled? I'm sure the hit will be more that way.

• Deleted member 197115

Nice, certainly not something I can see while playing hence me saying it seemed "free" .
Have you done this same test with PP on so AO is enabled and disabled? I'm sure the hit will be more that way.
PP On Medium certainly hits much harder.
Also nice tip on disabling r.DistanceFieldAO from @Giovaneveterano, that helps performance even more.
Results above are with it disabled, btw.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea