I got my FPS back!

Short story: ACC used to run crappy on my senior PC, now it doesn't. I'm not gonna explain a thing because it's all well written here in plain english: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

You need to see hidden folders for this path:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Copy and paste this in the very bottom, thanks for the beer.

[ConsoleVariables] r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1 r.DistanceFieldAO=0 r.HZBOcclusion=0 r.LensFlareQuality=0 r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0 r.SSR=0 r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24 r.DetailMode=0 r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1 r.AllowLandscapeShadows=0 r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0

1 lap at MISANO, SUNSET
COMPARISON.png

Cattura.PNG

DEFAULT: Avg: 56.9 - Min: 43 - Max: 70
MODDED: Avg: 62.3 - Min: 46 - Max: 78

FPS Diff.: Avg: +5.4 - Min: +3 - Max: +8

Thanks @2stains for the AO suggestion.

Last edited:
I have been using these in the engine.ini file with great sucess not sure where i found them :

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=48
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2
Did you gain FPS, what are the downsides? Can you elaborate a bit? Cheers.

Cheers for sharing. Will try on my ultrawide 1080p setup, especially the engine.ini.

Can you share your thoughts on:
  • What is your reason for going to 105% supersampling? I always had the impression the bottleneck is the resolution of the monitor (pixel density), so it will remain blocky no matter what you set supersampling to.
  • Is there a reason you prefer foliage set to epic compared to view distance, mirror view distance and opponents visibility set to quite mid/low settings?

Thanks again.
With the resolution scale, I came from a 4k monitor at 85% res scale, it was still crisp, now on 1080p's its noticeably more blurry and if i put res scale to 150 it looks crisper than 4k at 85%. 105 looks cleaner than 100 so I've just raised it as far as my GPU will allow. As for blocky at 1080p, I believe it's UE4 or something in ACC because there is a huge difference in clarity going to any other Sim, AC for instance looks really nice and crisp at 1080p (I was surprised that oming from 4k).
My biggest issue is CPU limitation, I've lowered all settings that seem to create the CPU bottleneck and just left settings that I didn't notice performance issues. Mirrors are the thing that I need to turn completely off let alone have any higher settings. I've played with what settings make it so i cant even run mirrors and view distance weirdly and opponents seem to be both CPU dependant. And I definitely had to turn mirrors off before running that Engine.ini.

Did you gain FPS, what are the downsides? Can you elaborate a bit? Cheers.
As i use Vsync i didn`t gain any FPS, but its At 60 for the most part no micro stutters (3840 x 2160) Starting at the back off the grid with 19 AI at Laguna Seca it was around 56. My advice is just try it if it doesn`t help then remove it. I also followed this guide the best i could :

Cool man, it's on the GPU side also so for me I find it easier to loose a few fps on GPU than on CPU it's harder to make up.

Any tips on what settings are most CPU intensive?

Struggling a bit with my i5 7500. Have a gtx1080 running at 60%, but still getting stutters of FPS below 60 with vsync on. Vsync off getting 100 FPS but mass tearing, so it is a bit strange.

I am guessing vsync is using up some CPU as well?

Struggling a bit with my i5 7500. Have a gtx1080 running at 60%, but still getting stutters of FPS below 60 with vsync on. Vsync off getting 100 FPS but mass tearing, so it is a bit strange.

Shadows , visible cars and mirrors ! Definitely turn OFF mirrors and reduce visible Ai ! But im not sure how much luck you ar going to have with only 4c no HT !

A general "rule of thumb" for CPU intensive settings is whether or not they use "actual geometry".
So as 2stains wrote:
- shadows: they are true calculated shadows of objects so definitely use the cpu
- visible cars: obviously geometric
- mirrors: also definitely geometric
- reflections (only a separate setting in AC): also based on true geometrics

In AC there is the "world detail" settings, which is also CPU intensive.

In ACC it's a bit more complicated sadly...

What's NOT cpu intensive:
- resolution
- Anti Aliasing
- post processing (mostly)
- sharpening
- fog
- bloom
- motion blur

This leaves these to test:
- mirror distance
- material quality
- mirror resolution (shouldn't make a difference. Either the draw calls are there or not. So on/off and the distance should be CPU intensive, the resolution should NOT be
- foliage LOD (distance/quality)
- LOD in general
- view distance
- effects

To test these:
- deactivate vsync
- activate an fps counter
- make sure your gpu load isn't above 90%

- see what settings give an fps boost

Cheers @RasmusP and @2stains

Tried a few things and mirrors off helps increase FPS by a good 10-20FPS. Shadows off as well helps. Everything else didn't make a noticeable difference.

One thing though i find strange is that i can easily hold 110-120FPS without vsync, so i'd expect stable vsync, but with vsync on i get every so often frame drops below 60. Any idea why this would be the case?

I guess my options are run with vsync off and handle some of the stutters and tearing, or use adaptive vsync to help stabilise at the odd times it drops below. Or work on the wife to allow me to get a new processor! :(

*Note i'm using triple screen setup 5760x1080

Tried a few things and mirrors off helps increase FPS by a good 10-20FPS. Shadows off as well helps. Everything else didn't make a noticeable difference.

One thing though i find strange is that i can easily hold 110-120FPS without vsync, so i'd expect stable vsync, but with vsync on i get every so often frame drops below 60. Any idea why this would be the case?

I guess my options are run with vsync off and handle some of the stutters and tearing, or use adaptive vsync to help stabilise at the odd times it drops below. Or work on the wife to allow me to get a new processor! :(

Many times I've had the same issue. Holding 70+ fps without a single drop even when I put MSI Afterburner to 100ms update rate and checked the frametime.
Enabling vsync and I had drops to 58 fps and microstuttering...

At one point I had enough and wanted a better monitor anyway so I splashed out to a g-sync monitor.
Limiting the fps to 60 still makes them drop to 58 or something frequently but now I don't notice these drops anymore.

Try the 61.8 fps framerate limit in nVidia inspector! I found that to eliminate tearing and give no tearing! Even better than vsync and framerate limit in game or RTSS.

Do we need to set readonly on the Engine.ini file?

Also with RTX2070 and i7-8700K i wonder if i can up some of the engine.ini tweaks to get a bit better graphics but still good FPS. Maybe someone with triples using these engine.ini files have some tips? Cheers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back