'Hypercar' Regulations Confirmed to Replace LMP1 in 2020/21

Hopefully dead by then :) And until that happens I hope to enjoy as much screaming engines as possible.

Everybody who has never been to the 24 Hours of Le Mans should absolutely go and visit it once in your life. In 2019 we are going to organize a trip ourselves to the race of races.

Not really sure this is the way to go, reminds me too much of the "let's all use 3.5ltr V10's, as Group C is boring". FIA killed Le Mans with that strategy and considering they hint that WEC is too popular compared to F1 I wouldn't be surprised they try and do it again.

I don't know... The idea sounds pretty good but combining much lower costs, individual technology and hybid systems seems almost impossible to me. And let's not forget that the WEC is organized by the ACO which has a long history of dumb and highly questionable decisions.

Will the hypercars be fast enough to outpace LMP2 or will that class cease to exists as well ?
They might slow them down to the 2015 regs, that would still leave them way ahead of GTE Pro teams but more space for the slower top class racers. The the moment I have no issue with that, lmp2 is amazing because its close racing, the new regs only changed that to make it formula oreca so if they went back I dont think there would be an issue. I loved watching the oreca vs ligier wars back in 2015 apart from fuji, still hate G-drive because of that.

Not really sure this is the way to go, reminds me too much of the "let's all use 3.5ltr V10's, as Group C is boring". FIA killed Le Mans with that strategy and considering they hint that WEC is too popular compared to F1 I wouldn't be surprised they try and do it again.
I think you will find the Poison Dwarf and Max the Nazi's fingerprints on the decision to run 'Formula 1' engines, which promptly led to the decline of 'Sports Car' racing for several years.
Jaguar powered by Cosworth???? Oh really!
:roflmao:

GTP_1.jpg
GTP_2.jpg
GTP_4.jpg
My LaFerrari GT1 prototype muhahaha

Will the hypercars be fast enough to outpace LMP2 or will that class cease to exists as well ?

Not if they're road car based and probably no - too much invested in LMP2, and no mention of anything changing in LMP2 ( and I guess they're still trying to make it global ) - yet, at least, and with three series ( am I forgetting one? ) using LMP2-ish rules you'd think there'd be some notice of any change by now.

We're not getting a new GT1 by sticking slicks on hypercars, they'd not even really beat GTE convincingly. We might get something that looks vaguely like a road car if you're half blind, like the GT500 cars. This hypercar tag is just dumb and as this thread is proving, people are falling for hype again.

I think you will find the Poison Dwarf and Max the Nazi's fingerprints on the decision to run 'Formula 1' engines, which promptly led to the decline of 'Sports Car' racing for several years.
Jaguar powered by Cosworth???? Oh really!
:roflmao:

The original idea was that Group C would use *old* F1 engines ( which sounds like dodgy wheeler-dealing already ) - only TWR did that deal with Cosworth, and so Peugeot & Toyota just had to do the same thing and there went any cost reduction. Strangling the older cars did not do anyone any favours, but honestly without a 962 replacement - I don't think even Spice were building customer cars although I vaguely remember one in IMSA - it'd have died anyway.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

Prototypes should remain the Top Class at Le Mans and not GT Cars.

I mean....thats what GTE is for right?!

And also, what is going to happen with LMP2?

Are they going to get killed to?

The WEC continues to be a gong show under Gerard Neveu. But hey, lets move races again for 1 Driver and act like that whole "Super Season" is nothing but a cover up for their failure. :sneaky:

This is interesting news, from what I believe and the interviews I've read there will not be a GT1 or GTX (if you like) categories. The ACO don't want the likes of the La Ferrari, Valkyrie, P1 racing in the top class. They are seen as being too much like GTE.
That would be slightly disappointing, I immediately thought of seeing race version of the La Ferrari and maybe even the Bugatti Chiron.

This why nobody should get in bed with FIA. Hey lets build brand new LMP1 Cars from the ground up and make them worthless in 2 years. Hopefully this ends the IMSA/FIA cooperation on rules.
Aren't all prototype race cars basically redundant after a season?

I like the idea but the devil is very much in the details here. Any lmp1 class needs to be faster than lmp2 which means lots of downforce. Downforce means adding wings. This means the look of the cars is going to be very different from their road going versions. Adding more downforce means adding bigger wings which will change the looks a lot. But the main issue is the ground effects. All hypercars have some kind of tunnels on their undersides. Hard to balance that. Some even have active ground effects with moving wings. Hard to balance those even though I'd like to see them. At least on the upper side of the car so people can see them working.

Second one is how is the fia going to control the engines. Things like tires are pretty straightforward. But if most hypercars can exceed 1000hp when all the gadgets are spinning... and if you allow tuning it is pretty easy to get more horsepower out of the 800hp engines. How do you balance that (fuel, hybrid deployment)? Other issue with high horsepower numbers is the big topspeed numbers. One of the reason the current lmps can make those big numbers is because it is all hybrids. Hold the button at corner exit and use it for acceleration, the putter around the straightway on your coal and then coast into corners to recharge the gizmos. On straightways the cars are pretty slow. But if you have 1000bhp petrol turbo engines then the top speeds can go near 400kmh because it is going to be 1000bhp all the time. When you have gtes going around 270kmh the speed difference is going to kill someone.

All the while making sure the costs don't escalate. I hope it doesn't turn into spec class.

I like the idea that in best possible scenario you have wide variety of cars. Some front engine rear wheel drive, some mid engine cars, some turbo petrol, some hybrids, some awd. I hope the cars don't get the same aero packages and engines. I'd like to hear the v12 shriek of the ferrari against the turbobanger porsches and v12 vulcans and V8 ageras.

I hope there is no fuel limit, no power train standardization (can run without hybrid) and no spec aero parts. If that means having a balance of performance then I'd rather take that than over regulate the cars into being almost the same thing with just different body shells.

I like the idea but the devil is very much in the details here. Any lmp1 class needs to be faster than lmp2 which means lots of downforce. Downforce means adding wings. This means the look of the cars is going to be very different from their road going versions. Adding more downforce means adding bigger wings which will change the looks a lot. But the main issue is the ground effects. All hypercars have some kind of tunnels on their undersides. Hard to balance that. Some even have active ground effects with moving wings. Hard to balance those even though I'd like to see them. At least on the upper side of the car so people can see them working.

Second one is how is the fia going to control the engines. Things like tires are pretty straightforward. But if most hypercars can exceed 1000hp when all the gadgets are spinning... and if you allow tuning it is pretty easy to get more horsepower out of the 800hp engines. How do you balance that (fuel, hybrid deployment)? Other issue with high horsepower numbers is the big topspeed numbers. One of the reason the current lmps can make those big numbers is because it is all hybrids. Hold the button at corner exit and use it for acceleration, the putter around the straightway on your coal and then coast into corners to recharge the gizmos. On straightways the cars are pretty slow. But if you have 1000bhp petrol turbo engines then the top speeds can go near 400kmh because it is going to be 1000bhp all the time. When you have gtes going around 270kmh the speed difference is going to kill someone.

All the while making sure the costs don't escalate. I hope it doesn't turn into spec class.

I like the idea that in best possible scenario you have wide variety of cars. Some front engine rear wheel drive, some mid engine cars, some turbo petrol, some hybrids, some awd. I hope the cars don't get the same aero packages and engines. I'd like to hear the v12 shriek of the ferrari against the turbobanger porsches and v12 vulcans and V8 ageras.

I hope there is no fuel limit, no power train standardization (can run without hybrid) and no spec aero parts. If that means having a balance of performance then I'd rather take that than over regulate the cars into being almost the same thing with just different body shells.
I think for motorsport to be relevant and accepted by the mainstream it has to face problems of the future and find solutions for it, so I find fuel limits not that bad of an ida. Many brilliant inventions used everyday come from motorsport

In the end the hypercars turn in to prototypes and it all starts all over again.
The old GTR1 class of cars were also more prototypes (in the end) than actual roadcars.
Sure they have build a few that had roadcar specs.

I bet you it'll be a "hypercar" series but the engines will still be largely stock like the lame GT1, GT2, etc. engines of today. Heck, a lot of the engines today rev much lower than even the stock engines and they sound muffled too.

I heard a Ferrari 360 GT while I was racing F2000s at Mosport years ago and the Ferrari, just at idle, sounded louded than most current GT racecars at full throttle. Also, the idle wasn't a smooth, muffled sound; the Ferrari sounder like the engine was about to explode into a million pieces. It was loud, raw, and very organic, rough, "lumpy." Racecars, up until the mid-to-late 2000s, used to have very highly tuned engines with very aggressive and rough camshafts and other "hardcore" racing internals. Nowadays, most GT cars sound mostly same as their stock counterparts but just just with a better and louder exhaust...lame.

I want to hear and see a car that is almost undriveable on the street because it's tuned so aggressively. I want the car to deafen my ears even while just idling. I want it to sound like the internals of the engine are banging and clanking away and the engine is about to explode.

RAISE YOUR VOLUME!

That was just a GT2 car back then...It sounds like it's revving to 20.000 RPM and wants to kill the world :) but modern GTs sound much closer to stock but just with a custom exhaust :(..

Last edited:
I think for motorsport to be relevant and accepted by the mainstream it has to face problems of the future and find solutions for it, so I find fuel limits not that bad of an ida. Many brilliant inventions used everyday come from motorsport

Motorsport should be motorsport. Not "relevant". I think the time has gone where motorsport was a technology laboratory. Nowadays the technology found in road cars is higher than the one in lmp1 or f1. Cars have active suspension, moving aero, complex electronics controlling driver aids and engines, self driving cars... Race cars are just more expensive and there is massive massive difference in how the cars are used. Your car mostly sees a steady 60-80-100kmh driving or 0-50-0 stop and go city traffic. Race cars are driven flatout, braked at maximum tire limits, spend all their time accelerating and decelerating and taking corners fast. The two have very little in common and as such both are moving to totally different directions. Race cars and road cars are just as relevant to each other as wheel barrows and forklifts are.

I think it is killing motorsports how some people want just dump road car technology into race cars and acts like it will save the world. It makes no difference at all how much fuel 30 something race cars consume during a race. Having the fuel limits only hurts the show and makes the driving less exciting. The engine technologies that save fuel are researched and implemented in normal cars. Race cars are and should be built to go fast with optimal fuel strategies. Not save fuel or look green.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.