HS6-GT – DIY H-Pattern Shifter

i was bought dowel pin od10x30mm and od8x30mm . I tried both and od8x30mm is better slide than od 10 if u use micro switch housing, But od8 used m5 20mm bolts but still strong. Btw, tell me what best spring for this shifter? i wanna try 0,6 x od 6mm x L 20mm spring.
Sorry for the late reply.
But something doesn't sound good. The space between the two bolts, that makes the gates slots is made to fit a od 10mm. If the dowel pin doesn't fit in it, there is only two possibilities:
1- the od of the dowel isn't really 10mm, but bigger.
2-the space between the bolts is smaller than 10mm. And this can be a problem of the printed part. You should assure that your printer can print with the correct dimensions
2.1 - Correct E-Steps
2.2 - Correct settings on the slicer for the used nozzle.

My printer is well calibrated and my slicer settings too, and i have no tolerance problems. I'm surprised with your results.

Hi all,

No idea... I have only the code version 1.1 and 1.2, and none are like that.

@pandax , can you share this sketch? Probably it is what me and @Fatapoc are looking for
Thanks in advance

Note: Nice to ear that the shifter is still working and going strong.
Hi all, I am also looking for the sketch with hall sensor too. My HDD crashed with all my code inside. Hope anyone have the sketch to share.

Sorry... so far, no luck... Is lost for ever, it looks like.

Someone needs to make a new sketch with the Hall Effect Sensor... Unfortunately, I cannot do it... I have not enough knowledge...

Hi all, I am also looking for the sketch with hall sensor too. My HDD crashed with all my code inside. Hope anyone have the sketch to share.

Sorry... so far, no luck... Is lost for ever, it looks like.

Someone needs to make a new sketch with the Hall Effect Sensor... Unfortunately, I cannot do it... I have not enough knowledge...

Is this what you where looking for?

Have anyone tried/thought of using these kind of bearings to lower the noise? I guess it could be possible to print a sleeve for the bearings in TPU, it it does not tear or wear out fast.

Attachments

• Hall Effect Holder v4.stl
    242.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Is this what you where looking for?

Have anyone tried/thought of using these kind of bearings to lower the noise? I guess it could be possible to print a sleeve for the bearings in TPU, it it does not tear or wear out fast.
The model you shared, is the holder for the hall effect sensors. What we are missing, is the Arduino sketch for the hall effect sensor version...

Regarding to the other subject. No, i never tried to make a sleeve. But, i doubt a tpu sleeve would survive very long. But, once again, this is my intuition... i can be wrong.

Last edited:
Ok, I misunderstood. I don't have high hopes for TPU sleeves, but it crossed my mind while thinking of these bearings from my old Ender 3.

1695848929204.png

Ok, I misunderstood. I don't have high hopes for TPU sleeves, but it crossed my mind while thinking of these bearings from my old Ender 3.

View attachment 697443
In Page 4 of the thread, I talk about the use of this V Slot bearings. I'm for the ideia of making the diameter of the bearing small, to improve the feeling. Using this POM bearings, would make the diameter bigger, and reduce the engagment feeling.

I never tested... So, once again, this is my intuition. I can be wrong

Did you ever share this model details? Would be interesting to try!
I wouldn't block this shaft... I would be in a very tight spot, and prone for jams.

1699438741183.png

If some one is interest in this mod, and in the mood to make a concept, I would suggest this area to attach a servo motor. If the shaft, where the ball bearing is mounted, is blocked from moving down, the Gear lever will be blocked. And in the bottom of the shifter have allot of space to add a less complex locking system.

Since i have no capacity to modify the arduino code (too ignorant), to implement a shifter lock, i have no interest in this mod... sorry. Someone with more capacity needs to take that in their own hands...

Hi all,
For a long time, the Hall Effect Sensor sketch is missing... Unfortunately, my level of coding is really low. So, I was unable to generate a new one.

Recently I tried to generate some code, for other project, using Chatgpt and had amazing results with it.

So I tried to change the actual working sketch, using micro switches, to HES sensor.
I have now this code to test:

Unfortunately I don't have the shifter anymore (Will make a new one for me, in the future), so I cannot test it.

It is required to play with the Threshold (Distance from the magnet to the HES to active the gear), in the Sketch and probably adapt the Analog Input pins, to your needs.

Last edited:
Welp, so, it failed :cautious:
In the most dramatic way : at rest, I have no idea why or when, but the spring retainer exploded ....

So, I look deep in my PC, find the STL, print a new one ... damn, i use a POM wheel which doesn't fit the normal part.
So I looked in this topic to find the modified one ... damn, dead link.
So I modified the part from the Fusion file and it should work :D

I brought back many memories, going through all this topic.
I'd really like to give this project more time, try different slopes, different bearings, but I already have too much at hand ...

But it's still going strong ! And that's incredible !

Welp, so, it failed :cautious:
In the most dramatic way : at rest, I have no idea why or when, but the spring retainer exploded ....

So, I look deep in my PC, find the STL, print a new one ... damn, i use a POM wheel which doesn't fit the normal part.
So I looked in this topic to find the modified one ... damn, dead link.
So I modified the part from the Fusion file and it should work :D

I brought back many memories, going through all this topic.
I'd really like to give this project more time, try different slopes, different bearings, but I already have too much at hand ...

But it's still going strong ! And that's incredible !
Wow. Thank you for the kind words!

Did you use the 3d model in Onshape? Inside there are some variants. Probably you would find the one you were looking.
1704624875147.png

But since you have it working, everything is OK.
Tiago

Did you use the 3d model in Onshape? Inside there are some variants. Probably you would find the one you were looking.
View attachment 719759
Tiago

Would it be possible to share .step files for the V2 shifter in addition to .stl? Would make it much easier for modifications. Im currently builing a hall sensor version of mine, and a lever with modified slopes. I would need to do some modifications to the V2 case though.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to share .step files for the shifter in addition to .stl? Would make it much easier for modifications. Im currently builing a hall sensor version of mine, and a lever with modified slopes. I would need to do some modifications to the V2 case though.

Can you try this STEP file? Is all the shifter parts and variants. I have no idea how good will open in Fusion360. In Onshape before importing the model, I can select an option to create sub products. And that way I have an organized structure, with the different variants.

Last edited:

Tiago

No, actually I still have all the Fusion part you shared back then.
So I modded it in Fusion, because I simply don't use Onshape ... Will have to, tho :whistling: :D

But I thought a bit more on my issue, and I think I know why.
As stated previously in the dicussion, I used 25mm springs instead of 20mm, which made it way harder.
I kinda liked it, but it's most probably the cause of the issue. (and it makes the whole shifter super noisy)
So, I modified the part to allow the 25mm spring to sit nicely. It's a bit too soft.
So, I'm trying another depth now, a bit shallower, to adjust the pression on the springs ... and I really like the idea of changing the sturdiness of the lever as simply as that.

On another note, I've had an issue, which I cannot explain !
It's gonna be hard to explain ... Bear with me on this one :cautious:
Take the shifter, upside down. Remove the spring retainer, the bearing shaft, the springs. Put the bearing shaft where it's supposed to be; it's now constraint free.
The bearing should be on top of the offset lever / slope assembly.
Now, if you look at the 3d model, on fusion or wathever, the bearing and the slope almost touch : they're super close.
But somehow, on mine (printed), there's like 3mm between the 2 parts, resulting in an excessive back-and-forth movement of the lever.

I looked around, again and again, tried to find an explainating, misprinted part, bent part, never found out why !
But in the end, I sanded down the 2 spring side stopper, to lower it by 2mm or so.
Bearing and slope still don't touch, but they're way closer now, and my shifter feels less sloppy than before !

No idea why tho ... Printing issue ? STL mismatch ? Dumb**** user ?
Still, the improvement is there, and I'm glad I found it :p

Last edited:
For finding the right spring seat for the tension you want you could also "shim out" the seat, eg with washers in the right size until the feel is just right.
Then you could take thickness of the shims and alter the print.
That should save you some printing.
(maybe leave one washer in so that the spring doesn´t damage the spring seat?)

No, actually I still have all the Fusion part you shared back then.
So I modded it in Fusion, because I simply don't use Onshape ... Will have to, tho :whistling: :D

But I thought a bit more on my issue, and I think I know why.
As stated previously in the dicussion, I used 25mm springs instead of 20mm, which made it way harder.
I kinda liked it, but it's most probably the cause of the issue. (and it makes the whole shifter super noisy)
So, I modified the part to allow the 25mm spring to sit nicely. It's a bit too soft.
So, I'm trying another depth now, a bit shallower, to adjust the pression on the springs ... and I really like the idea of changing the sturdiness of the lever as simply as that.

On another note, I've had an issue, which I cannot explain !
It's gonna be hard to explain ... Bear with me on this one :cautious:
Take the shifter, upside down. Remove the spring retainer, the bearing shaft, the springs. Put the bearing shaft where it's supposed to be; it's now constraint free.
The bearing should be on top of the offset lever / slope assembly.
Now, if you look at the 3d model, on fusion or wathever, the bearing and the slope almost touch : they're super close.
But somehow, on mine (printed), there's like 3mm between the 2 parts, resulting in an excessive back-and-forth movement of the lever.

I looked around, again and again, tried to find an explainating, misprinted part, bent part, never found out why !
But in the end, I sanded down the 2 spring side stopper, to lower it by 2mm or so.
Bearing and slope still don't touch, but they're way closer now, and my shifter feels less sloppy than before !

No idea why tho ... Printing issue ? STL mismatch ? Dumb**** user ?
Still, the improvement is there, and I'm glad I found it :p
I got you!
I believe you have problems with with the "Spring Side Stopper"(Yellow part).
1705408760691.png

The function of this part, like the name says, is to stop the lateral movement, when the "Offset Lever" rotates. But the name doesn't explain all the functions... It stops the Ball Bearing to be in contact with the "Offset lever"(OL).
You want to reduce/increase the red painted area, according to the distance of the Ball Bearing(BB). You don't want the BB too far from the OL, because you will have backlash (Like you have). Or, you don't want too close, because it will press against the OL and will create friction and the OL will not rotate freely.

This is a known difficulty. If the user doesn't understand how it works, it is difficult to fine tuning. And the fine tuning process isn't intuitive and easy to do (print different dimension parts, or file the parts till perfect fit).
The next shifter iteration will solve this problem(still WIP). So far, I'm really pleased with the improvements. So, stay tuned for news in the future (by my standarts, could mean 1 month to 1 year :D)
Please, check if my diagnose is correct. If not, i will think more on the subject.
Tiago

Last edited:
@Bitacaia : You got it, that's exactly my issue.
But i just sanded it out, and it's about right now ! :p

@stigs2cousin : how I have not thought of it ... :cautious:
I printed an intermediate settings, +2.5mm, and will try it soon.
Should be about right, but if needed I'll shim it !
Thanks for the smart tip :D

Hi all,
For a long time, the Hall Effect Sensor sketch is missing... Unfortunately, my level of coding is really low. So, I was unable to generate a new one.

Recently I tried to generate some code, for other project, using Chatgpt and had amazing results with it.

So I tried to change the actual working sketch, using micro switches, to HES sensor.
I have now this code to test:

Unfortunately I don't have the shifter anymore (Will make a new one for me, in the future), so I cannot test it.

It is required to play with the Threshold (Distance from the magnet to the HES to active the gear), in the Sketch and probably adapt the Analog Input pins, to your needs.
I have made on code using ChatGPT in this post. I never tested... but it was something.

But since you have a working Sketch, it is a better option! For that, thank you for helping!
I will put you link in the first post

Tiago Viana

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back