HS6-GT – DIY H-Pattern Shifter

Hello all,

I have finished the 1 year facelift. I want to make a video explaining all the modifications. and how to use the models inside onshape.
1611582705341.png

I will release the link, but I will only update the 1st post when I have the video, BOM, Etc.

the link for the Onshape parametric model is here:

STL:

Now we have allot of variants:

The B1/B2/B3/... - Different Offset Lever for different scenarios.
B1 - One single Ball Bearing 625zz
1611582279450.png
B2 - POM wheel with MR105 ball bearings
1611582313424.png
B3 - One single Ball Bearing 625zz, but with washers(DIN125-M14).
1611582353015.png

The S1/S2/... - Different Actuation method.
S1 - Simple Micro Switch
1611582447475.png
S2 - Hall Effect Sensor
1611582512733.png

All the names have the variant written on it. So the STL will be easy to identify when they are inside a ZIP file.

Tiago Viana

Last edited:
Looks amazing, well done! Can I use the bottom cover and spring retainer with the older version? And do I need to buy allen bolts to replace the old hex bolts?

Looks amazing, well done! Can I use the bottom cover and spring retainer with the older version? And do I need to buy allen bolts to replace the old hex bolts?

Yes you can. But you need to be aware, there are 2 bottom covers. One for the V2 and one for the V1. You need to print the bottom cover for the old version

1611736657507.png

Because the corner holes don't align with the new version.

And I decided to make the bottom fixed with Allen key bolts, to make the shifter prettier.

I guess I might have to try the new versions. I have issues with some fittings on the older revision, with a 3mm sideways play in the mechanism. Did nobody else notice this? It does not seem like there is any play in the first assembly video. And yes, the measurements are the same in the printed parts.

1612556988768.png

1612557025952.png

I will assemble it anyways and see how it feels. After I get a working version of this I might start printing the new 2021 version :)

Hi Pasen,

This measurement difference shouldn't be a problem. When the shifter lever is in the neutral position, the ball bearing should just barely touch the offset lever. If it is touching strongly against the offset lever, it will make the lateral movement not smooth or dampen it. And induce more wear on the offset lever.
If you have contact, try to put some layers of tape on the top of the "spring side stopper", until you get just a small amount of contact (enough for the shifter lever don't feel floppy). once you are happy, add in the 3d model the amount you added, and print a new side stopper.

Of course, I strongly recommend you to print the new version from this part. Since is interchangeable.

Is there a way to import the new version into Fusion? I had to make some changes to the parts due to my springs and shifter lever bushings and would probably need to again. Could you provide step-files also? They are much easier to work with than stl :)

I would like to share X_T file, to load in Fusion360. But, unfortunately, fusion deactivated this function for Free Users!!! :D

So, STEP is good too.

But I suggest to make an account on Onshape. In the end is free (till now), and gives you a bit more flexibility than Fusion. And all the models are parametric!!!

Hello all,

I have finished the 1 year facelift.

Now we have allot of variants:

The B1/B2/B3/... - Different Offset Lever for different scenarios.

The S1/S2/... - Different Actuation method.

All the names have the variant written on it. So the STL will be easy to identify when they are inside a ZIP file.

Tiago Viana

I am in the market for a h pattern shifter. I am very interested in this project. Is one of the 'B' superior when compared to the others? The same goes for the 'S'?

I am excited to start building this project.

Thanks for your work.

I am in the market for a h pattern shifter. I am very interested in this project. Is one of the 'B' superior when compared to the others? The same goes for the 'S'?

Thanks for your work.
Great choice, this shifter is amazing!

I would say B2 or B3 are the best options, it's just preference. B2 is a POM bearing (bearing with plastic) on 3d printed rail and the B3 is a metal bearing on a metal rail (several washers put together). I personally like B2 better, but I used extra strong material for the 3d printed rail (polycarbonate). S1 works with micro switches which need to make contact when shifting and acts like a button, S2 works with hall sensors that sense a magnetic field and don't need to make contact when shifting which means fewer moving parts that can break. S2 is definitely better than the S1, but S1 is the simplest option.

View attachment 449293View attachment 449293Finally finished this shifter with mod of clutch control with servo.
Hello Mussafph!

I would love to see more details of your Clutch control! Can you share more pics or 3d model?
And, I would love that you share your mod, so the other can implement them (3d model and Arduino Script).

Other point;
What printer do you have? And what material did you print? because you have allot of bed adhesion problems!!! the "Top Case" is completed deformed :) Hope that doesn't influence the functionality of the shifter!!!

Tiago

Thanks for your work.
Hi Jean Paul.

I made the 3d models, but I never test them. Except the B1 :D

But, I believe the B3 will be really good (but will make allot of noise!). This solution will give you the possibility to compress more the springs without the fear of destroying the offset lever.

Regarding the version S1/S2

Hall effect sensor for the win! Nothing can beat them. So, S2.

Hello Mussafph!

I would love to see more details of your Clutch control! Can you share more pics or 3d model?
And, I would love that you share your mod, so the other can implement them (3d model and Arduino Script).

Other point;
What printer do you have? And what material did you print? because you have allot of bed adhesion problems!!! the "Top Case" is completed deformed :) Hope that doesn't influence the functionality of the shifter!!!

Tiago
Untitled.pngJust a simple gear gate to lock the shaft from moving with the servo.

I believe it is not realistic with the force it takes to disengage the gears. The force for disengaging is about the same as engaging a gear with this shifter. I had an idea about changing the shape of the offset lever to make it asymmetrical with different "slope angles" on the outer positions.

If the shape today is like #1, my thoughts are something like #2 or #3. But I have not managed to create/modify this. What are your thoughts? Sorry for the bad paint skills, I hope you get my idea.

offsetlever.png

Last edited:
I believe it is not realistic with the force it takes to disengage the gears. The force for disengaging is about the same as engaging a gear with this shifter. I had an idea about changing the shape of the offset lever to make it asymmetrical with different "slope angles" on the outer positions.

If the shape today is like #1, my thoughts are something like #2 or #3. But I have not managed to create/modify this. What are your thoughts? Sorry for the bad paint skills, I hope you get my idea.

View attachment 452922
The dimension of the ball bearing plays a big role on your point. The bigger the ball bearing, the less possibility you will have to simulate different engagement/disengagement forces.
The best option, is to reduce the dimension of the ball bearing (mr105 is a good option). Then, the offset levers slops can have different contact surface angle.

1615303641468.png

Made a fast concept. Even with MR105 (outer diameter 10mm), will be hard to make a slop with enough difference to be notice.

So. Probably a ball bearing with Outer diameter 8mm and inner diameter 5mm (need to check if exists) will be better.

This problem can be solved with many different solutions. But can generate some other problems... And, in the end, is a subjective perspective.

The dimension of the ball bearing plays a big role on your point. The bigger the ball bearing, the less possibility you will have to simulate different engagement/disengagement forces.
The best option, is to reduce the dimension of the ball bearing (mr105 is a good option). Then, the offset levers slops can have different contact surface angle.

View attachment 453078

Made a fast concept. Even with MR105 (outer diameter 10mm), will be hard to make a slop with enough difference to be notice.

So. Probably a ball bearing with Outer diameter 8mm and inner diameter 5mm (need to check if exists) will be better.

This problem can be solved with many different solutions. But can generate some other problems... And, in the end, is a subjective perspective.

I dont understand your concept, it is asymmetric in the "wrong way" for it to disengage easier, and very slight asymmetry between the lobes. I guess this is a better illustration of my idea of an asymmetric shape. You don't think this will change anything?

asymmetric.png

Is the distance traveled between the slopes limited to this distance? Increasing the gap between the "lobes" with a few millimeters would enable for a longer "slope" shape. But also introduce slightly more travel to the shifter. (If there is room for it...?)

I don't have the knowledge to modify this on my own yet. I might just use softer springs instead...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back