HP Reverb Review

Mr Latte

Premium
So how good is it with all those pixels?

For Sim Racing we may not need to rely or care much on the windows mixed reality for the controllers and tracking. The concern with this, is more to do with the GPU loads as covered in the second video but seems a 1080Ti or RTX 2080 level of card is a good basis to start from.

Whats your thoughts guys, Valve Index has won me over with a current pre-order but I'm still waiting to learn more about it before fully committing.

Enjoy the videos and discuss...

Last edited:
MRTV will be doing another through the lens stream later. This time it'll be based around PC2

h//youtu.be/Gat6lMni_HE

Great thanks for the heads up.

Right now it looks like both the Reverb AND the Valve Index will arrived either in the same shipment or with a couple of days from each other.

From the HP reseller i got the june 13 as the shipping date and Valve just send me an email to check my shipping adres before the june 14 ( which means june 13)

Imagine the horror having both headsets arrive at the same time from the same UPS guy and having to decide which one to unpack and try first. :D

Upvote 0
I just got an email to verify my address too, but it's just for the base stations.

I guess I'll need to keep.close tabs on this if they are actually running ahead of schedule.

Great news though, given how frequently we see delays, being ahead of schedule is almost a miracle.

Upvote 0
I could see this being a good choice for dedicated flight sim guys. That probably has the absolute highest value for resolution of any type of sim.

We all want high res, but it's not until you are looking at an enemy aircraft and see only a spec and have no idea of its orientation or need to make out complex instrumentation quickly that you understand need.

Upvote 0
All I would say is for the love of God don't buy this via the HP store as trying to get it returned is a nightmare. Bounced around different departments and after several days got sent authorisation for returning the faulty product (written to an HP reseller I didn't use) and no contact details or instructions on how to return. Now back to the same hellish phone system. Been on the line for over 45 minutes and transferred to 5 different people all who then need to be told the call number etc and then hey presto forward me onto someone else who doesn't have a clue. Eventually got through to the UK store and was straight forward from there but of course no stock available for replacements. I've gone for a refund and will possibly try again in a months time or so though I have seen three other forum entries with people having similar display problems due to faulty cable connectors so it does look like a possible design / production weakness.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

That's pretty bad. Why support company that treat you like that. Plus HP quality was always bottom low, dying company with no future.

Upvote 0
If all goes well mine will be arriving tomorrow. From the experience above i think i'm lucky i bought it at a official HP reseller and not the store.

Let's just hope i have a good one :D

Upvote 0
mine is in the works, since June 11th, the delivery was scheduled for the 12th, but to other Italian guys it has been moved to June 27th or July 9th ... to me they haven't updated the date yet, I hope it will be resolved soon, I'm without VR . :(

IMG-20190613-120023.jpg

Upvote 0
Received mine last week. Sadly, it goes back to HP today.

PROS:

* Resolution. It's really good. ACC looks MUCH better in 2160 x 2160.
* SDE is gone.

CONS:

* LCD. Colors. Everything is washed out compared to OLED Odyssey.
* Blacks are not truly black. Dark gray at most.
* Mura is really visible. Once you see it it's hard to ignore. Looks like a really dirty lens.
* Bulky cable. It is thick and heavy. Very uncomfortable.
* The headset gets hot.
* Lack of hardware IPD adjustment.
* 110 degrees FOV is an outright lie.
* Off-center clarity is just Ok (no better than Odyssey).

On top of that, the unit I have received kept disconnecting every few minutes.

Upvote 0
Just arrived
IMG-20190620-130745.jpg

First impressions, SDE is gone, sharpness out of every measure, very light and much better performance than I thought, but Unfortunately in an hour I had two disconnections of the cable, and it takes a good 20 seconds to be able to reuse it, another negative side, even having an IPD of 66 and setting it in the settings panel I tend to cross my eyes, very little, but with the rift never happened, I also see the edge of the left display in the lower part, the right no.

Now I can reuse it only late tonight, I make another hour, I update you.

Upvote 0
@PurgerUK & @dedraro

Hi guys, I'm almost set on getting the Reverb but wouldn't mind some updated thoughts if you don't mind, especially regarding the "sweet spot" and whether it's noticeable after more hours of usage, thanks :)

Upvote 0
@PurgerUK & @dedraro

Hi guys, I'm almost set on getting the Reverb but wouldn't mind some updated thoughts if you don't mind, especially regarding the "sweet spot" and whether it's noticeable after more hours of usage, thanks :)
I returned mine about a week after this post, too many problems. I don't know the new versions how they behave, the sweet spot was quite good, I have an IPD of 66/67

Upvote 0
@PurgerUK & @dedraro

I returned my faulty one and didn't accept discount on a replacement. Went with an Index, not quite as sharp but much better FOV, comfort and build quality....no regrets.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back