HP Reverb Review

Mr Latte

Premium
So how good is it with all those pixels?

For Sim Racing we may not need to rely or care much on the windows mixed reality for the controllers and tracking. The concern with this, is more to do with the GPU loads as covered in the second video but seems a 1080Ti or RTX 2080 level of card is a good basis to start from.

Whats your thoughts guys, Valve Index has won me over with a current pre-order but I'm still waiting to learn more about it before fully committing.

Enjoy the videos and discuss...

Last edited:
Two elements of what? Odyssey and Vive Pro both use dual AMOLED screen.

The optics of the Index are supposed to use the screen pixels more effectively, and the screen is very different with 3 x the emitters for the same number of pixels.

Anyway, I'm going to take a little break from this banter. Later.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Looks like this is the only real next gen resolution headset.
Now we need more WMR partners to show up. Seems like Samsung is cooking something and I am pretty sure the quality of the build will be a few notches higher, perhaps adjustable IPD as well (hey, a man can dream :))

Upvote 0
Looks great problem is windows mixed reality, microsoft are not interested in it, look at steam mixed reality reprojection has been broken since january. i would buy this for for that problem

Upvote 0
I have owned both versions and Odyssey+ is just as sharp as original one minus SDE.
Picture of AC through the lens
Bloody hell. That looks great.

0419191923_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Looks great problem is windows mixed reality, microsoft are not interested in it, look at steam mixed reality reprojection has been broken since january. i would buy this for for that problem
It's not broken per se, just expensive to use.
Not defending them, btw. They put some WMR changes into 1903, perhaps including performance fix, but that broke renderTargetScale. From MS perspective WMR is a success, for businesses, this is what it was designed for. Gamers are secondary, reason we do not see them rushing new WMR spec with more cameras (which don't work that much better as Rift S shown), or game specific features like proper reprojection suppprt in SteamVR.

Upvote 0
Running with an i5-8600K 16GB RAM and GTX1080ti on Windows 10 x64 1803. Very quick first impressions resolution is fantastic and the screen grab above is real. Only tried it with R3E so far but runs well with the same settings I was using with the Odyssey. Seems to run a little warmer than the Odyssey and the FOV might be marginally smaller, certainly a little dimmer. SDE is still visible to me but certainly greatly reduced. The cable is a little thicker and heavier than the Odyssey, presumably due to it being DP.
As far as I'm concerned this meets my wishes for resolution, all future pixels can go on increasing the FOV.
The down side for me is it will most likely be going back as the connection keeps on dropping. Not tried my other PC yet but 3 different display ports and usb ports and every couple of minutes it powers down. Life is cruel...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Too bad.
Sounds like the same problem a guy at the VR Forum has.
The problem seems to be the connector,
He tried the short cable and that one worked for him.

Here is the thread (German only)
https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/113731-HP-Reverb?p=2477182&viewfull=1#post2477182

Thanks I'll give it a Babel. From a very quick 5 minute test on my other PC it worked with no problems after a reboot so might be driver related. Just had a quick blast of Overload and looked fantastic though it did highlight the fact it is an LCD screen rather than OLED with all of the dark tunnels.
Oh well - doesn't work on my other PC for longer than a few minutes and the shorter cable is mini DP which I don't have on my card. Sent an email to HP requesting a replacement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He's running it with motion compensation (openVR). If you look closely you see the tracker mounted on the left side. From reading in the forum at simtools it's not working perfect yet

Watching this video, I wonder, but if I had a closed cockpit with black walls, like this:

AA.png

indeed completely closed (maybe it opens with a door and you enter) all around my rig, but it moves with my rig and with my head, how does the VR interpret it? Does the gyroscope always work and so it moves in game? Or I stay still because the walls move together my head?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back