HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
Please test. In my case it was disabled by default and even when using Forced AC didn't work, attempt to create game profile and set VRSS there just gave Not available as an option for it. And those hidden flags to enable it for non whitelisted games are gone, NVApi does not publish them anymore.

My global VRSS shows as adaptive and it is "supposed" to use that profile for all titles without a specific profile setup for them.
I see the VRSS option at the bottom for all profiles now, but it is greyed out for titles they don't support.
The Profile editor shows varying "other" fields at the very bottom. The VRSS option doesn't show in the profile editor for profiles with and without the option set.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Same here, greyed out "Not supported"
1622486393733.png

And these two options (0x00D5E9C6 or 0x00D5E9C7) are gone from NVidia Inspector.

They say that they will continue adding more games here, but the list hasn't changed since last year.
Well, did it really work that well, I've never had a chance to try?
People who tried it with AC before were saying that SS area was off the center.

Upvote 0
Well, did it really work that well, I've never had a chance to try?
People who tried it with AC before were saying that SS area was off the center.
For starters I'm am still using this in other supported titles. It works beautifully in "In Death" to this day. The shadows, fire and smoke are all excellent too, but the on center clarity is very nice.

I liked it in iRacing. The biggest difference I saw was that there were NO jaggies anywhere when I looked at something. The dash was exceptionally clear. This included fences etc...

Upvote 0
Which sims can run at 144fps and look good at the same time? I am lucky if I can get 60 with visuals I find acceptable.
AC with ease, all goodies and visual plugins enabled :) without VR i get around 450fps with 2560x1440p
And as mentioned already : Iracing

Don't know if Raceroom count as good looking ;)

-Since all sims runs on old graphic engines one could argue the no sim looks acceptable 2021.

My setup: i9 9900KF and RTX 3080

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

AC with ease, all goodies and visual plugins enabled :) without VR i get around 450fps with 2560x1440p
I have same exact CPU and GPU and honestly with CSP/SOL opted to 60hz to have more headroom for night driving at 100% SS, daytime @90fps is not a problem though.
Flat (curved) screen I am getting between 120-140 daytime on 5,120 x 1,440.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
My Reverb G2 died after 5 months of sim racing use. Flickering picture on the left lense, no pic on the right. Obviously these are not build to last. With the recurring sound issues out of the box, I really can't recommend this set to anybody.

Upvote 0
My Reverb G2 died after 5 months of sim racing use. Flickering picture on the left lense, no pic on the right. Obviously these are not build to last. With the recurring sound issues out of the box, I really can't recommend this set to anybody.

My Reverb G2 is working perfectly and looks like new after 5 months of sim racing use. These things are obviously built like tanks and I can’t recommend enough to anybody.

Upvote 0
My Reverb G2 is working perfectly and looks like new after 5 months of sim racing use. These things are obviously built like tanks and I can’t recommend enough to anybody.

Lol, then tell me why my unit has died? Only sim racing use, no abuse nor nothing. I drove about an hour yesterday, no problem, then later in the evening I restarted and it is dead. I've done what I can today to solve the issue, but obviously it has gone to the pastures new. Not good.

Upvote 0
Lol, then tell me why my unit has died? Only sim racing use, no abuse nor nothing. I drove about an hour yesterday, no problem, then later in the evening I restarted and it is dead. I've done what I can today to solve the issue, but obviously it has gone to the pastures new. Not good.

Sorry. I absolutely know I was being a dick. I just read that post that yours has failed and therefore they’re all crap. I’ve not experienced that.

It’s terrible that you’ve bought a premium priced piece of kit and it’s letting you down. Hopefully as it should still be under warranty you’ll be able to get a full replacement, and hopefully the replacement will be better made.

Upvote 0
Could be a cable issue, I know that is the primary point of failure with the g2. Thankfully mine has been great and I haven't been super careful with it. Passing on the Vive pro 2 since it seems to be more of a side grade than upgrade. Maybe index 2 will hit at some point. Wish they could find something better than fresnel lenses.

Upvote 0
Could be a cable issue, I know that is the primary point of failure with the g2. Thankfully mine has been great and I haven't been super careful with it. Passing on the Vive pro 2 since it seems to be more of a side grade than upgrade. Maybe index 2 will hit at some point. Wish they could find something better than fresnel lenses.

Yeah, local support was about 99% sure it is the cable, so they'll send me a new one.

Upvote 0
Wish they could find something better than fresnel lenses.
StarVR has the best optics out there. A real 180 FOV (210 degree diagonal) with non-fresnel lenses.

They are just prohibitively expensive for most people, but all testers seemed to agree that they have best lenses out there.

I wish they would license the tech to a company with better follow through.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

PSVR and Gear VR used conventional dome shape lenses, so they don't have to be "prohibitively expensive". My understanding is that distortion characteristics might not be as good as on Fresnel, also there is weight penalty.

Upvote 0
PSVR and Gear VR used conventional dome shape lenses, so they don't have to be "prohibitively expensive". My understanding is that distortion characteristics might not be as good as on Fresnel, also there is weight penalty.
StarVR has extremely low distortion, far better than anything else available and across a wider FOV than any other VR headset available.

They put Pimax to shame.

Just because there are cheap poorly designed non-fresnel lenses does not means well designed lenses are inexpensive to make.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Are they Fresnel or not, confused?
1623084764167.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
You are confused.

They had the best non-fresnel lenses out there. Their most recent iteration is called a custom fresnel lens. My understanding is that it is a hybrid. Not sure if they went that route to reduce weight or cost or ???

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Forum trophies