HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
@RCHeliguy if you're starting point is 90hz, that 8KX you speak of is dead in the water. 75hz max refresh rate on that headset. I would be fine with this, however. I am never denying that higher hz is not better. Simply stating that the 60hz mode on the Reverb does wonders for titles like ACC where in the Index I was forced to run motion smoothing, as the 80hz minimum was a deal breaker for that title on a 1080Ti.

I've ordered an 8KX and have tentatively sold it on eBay already. I don't want it. I want the G2 and have recently been able to register interest on the website for purchasing. So hopefully pre orders in Australia are not too far away now.

Upvote 0
@RCHeliguy if you're starting point is 90hz, that 8KX you speak of is dead in the water. 75hz max refresh rate on that headset. I would be fine with this, however. I am never denying that higher hz is not better. Simply stating that the 60hz mode on the Reverb does wonders for titles like ACC where in the Index I was forced to run motion smoothing, as the 80hz minimum was a deal breaker for that title on a 1080Ti.

I've ordered an 8KX and have tentatively sold it on eBay already. I don't want it. I want the G2 and have recently been able to register interest on the website for purchasing. So hopefully pre orders in Australia are not too far away now.

Notice I said, something "closer to" an 8KX and not that I actually wanted one.

You've already heard why I think the 8KX headset is a cart ahead of the horse and won't be viable without Displayport 2.0 bandwidth coming with the next video cards specifically because I want a higher refresh rate.

AFTER the 3080Ti is released there will be a bit of a lag and then headsets supporting Displayport 2 will be released. That is likely my point of entry with something "like" an 8KX but by a vendor I trust more.

I like 4K per eye, but I also want more FOV. What don't care about is out of focus blur and I'm sure that adds to realism, but I don't think the new Oculus headset has much draw.

All that said, I need to get back to work. I'm going to be working ~70 billable hours a week for the next 3 months and haven't touched my rig or even started up my gaming computer in over a week. I'll be lucky to get enough sleep never mind have time to game for a while. When I come up for air I'll look around and see what's new.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be counting on a wider FOV headset than the 8KX coming to market. I think we have seen the current trend of VR with the G1, Rift S and Index moving into the G2 and whatever else comes next from the other vendors. The name of the game is image clarity and and FOV only detracts from this. The wider it gets, the more pixels you need to achieve the same result. I think most people putting on a current gen headset is more likely to notice how sharp the image is compared to how far into the peripheral they can see. I am a believer now that a base level of FOV is acceptable and the image can be significantly improved by staying around that 115 - 130 degree range. It's what took me so long to actually try a Reverb because I always thought I'd feel CV1 levels of FOV. Not true for me and now that I've seen what is possible when you cram those pixels into a smaller range, I will always prioritise that over FOV. Purely as a sim racer. I do not use VR for anything else at all.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be counting on a wider FOV headset than the 8KX coming to market.

I'm not, but I would like more than I have with my Index. 140-150 degrees with 2 x 4K panels and a high refresh rate would make me a happy camper.

I'm not trying to be too greedy. It will come eventually. We'll eventually have plenty of resolution, FOV and fps to make anyone happy. I'm very happy with my Index when I have a chance to use it, but I'd like to have more of everything please :) More resolution, more field of view, and keep a higher refresh rate.

Upvote 0
Really fancy getting my preorder in on the G2, I’m just nervous on the inevitable first headsets released issues.
I don’t use my pc as much as I’d like so any issue could take a while to manifest for me.

Guess I’m looking for some positive reinforcement from people to say just get it and take the decision out of my hands

Upvote 0
Really fancy getting my preorder in on the G2, I’m just nervous on the inevitable first headsets released issues.
I don’t use my pc as much as I’d like so any issue could take a while to manifest for me.

Guess I’m looking for some positive reinforcement from people to say just get it and take the decision out of my hands

So you want a warm fuzzy about purchasing a high tech toy?

Well... Valve has had a lot of influence so that is a good sign, but HP didn't get their last release out very well. So if you think HP just couldn't possibly repeat that performance and that Valve is the ringer to bring it home, sure.

But things happen.

You would think people would understand that when Pimax announces a product expect it be be delayed a year or so. Certainly they would stop doing that, right?

Just saying there is always risk with the initial release of a product. I wouldn't be an early adopter until you are comfortable that you may have to send it back in since there are always more issues in the initial release. The good news is that HP did honor their warranty and did refund people their money after their last initial release.

Do I think HP will have the same level of issues with their early models? Probably not. It looks like they took a lot of steps in the right direction, but I wouldn't bet money on it. There is no telling.

Upvote 0
So you want a warm fuzzy about purchasing a high tech toy?

Well... Valve has had a lot of influence so that is a good sign, but HP didn't get their last release out very well. So if you think HP just couldn't possibly repeat that performance and that Valve is the ringer to bring it home, sure.

But things happen.

You would think people would understand that when Pimax announces a product expect it be be delayed a year or so. Certainly they would stop doing that, right?

Just saying there is always risk with the initial release of a product. I wouldn't be an early adopter until you are comfortable that you may have to send it back in since there are always more issues in the initial release. The good news is that HP did honor their warranty and did refund people their money after their last initial release.

Do I think HP will have the same level of issues with their early models? Probably not. It looks like they took a lot of steps in the right direction, but I wouldn't bet money on it. There is no telling.

I have to come here for my warm fuzzy feelings about sim stuff, I certainly won’t get it off the wife.

I watched the original reverb Release like a hawk, I was adamant I was going to get it. They launched it the day my wife gave birth to our first child, and i decided to wait a few months as I wouldn’t get time to play it. I saw all the issues play out and thanked my lucky stars I didn’t get one. Then I waited for the update g1, but I was waiting for positive reviews to come out before getting it again. Anyway, months passed and others things happened so I never got round it.

Anyway that has made me nervous, and I think I’d rather wait. But then i don’t want to miss out on the price, if that is just a launch price.

Sensible me is saying wait, other side of me is saying just get it. Think I’m currently in the wait camp, I don’t get enough time on the rig to allow any issues to manifest themself In a quick enough time frame

Upvote 0
Take your suit pants off and give them back to your wife. Put your man pants on and order one.

It’s nice you think I had the chance to wear them in the first place!

We can all kid ourselves and say we wear the trousers, but really if we have a long hard look at ourselves, we know where we stand. I’ve just decided to admit it early lol no point fighting the inevitable for an easy life

Upvote 0
It’s nice you think I had the chance to wear them in the first place!

We can all kid ourselves and say we wear the trousers, but really if we have a long hard look at ourselves, we know where we stand. I’ve just decided to admit it early lol no point fighting the inevitable for an easy life

Of course. I get around such issues by lying about the prices of most things. You said you wanted some motivation but left out what kind :)

Upvote 0
Of course. I get around such issues by lying about the prices of most things. You said you wanted some motivation but left out what kind :)

Coward!!!!!!

I remember when I was about to buy a limited edition RC Heli and talked to my wife about it. When she heard it was about $5K (not complete) all she said was that she assumed I wouldn't be adding any other large helis to my collection any time soon. She even told me that I worked hard for my money and she guessed I deserved it.

The key is making sure she has what she wants first. Happy wife happy life.

Upvote 0
Coward!!!!!!

I remember when I was about to buy a limited edition RC Heli and talked to my wife about it. When she heard it was about $5K (not complete) all she said was that she assumed I wouldn't be adding any other large helis to my collection any time soon. She even told me that I worked hard for my money and she guessed I deserved it.

The key is making sure she has what she wants first. Happy wife happy life.

My wifes hobby is reading books. You just can't balance her side of the scale with that one so you have to fib a little.

Upvote 0
My wifes hobby is reading books. You just can't balance her side of the scale with that one so you have to fib a little.

My wife’s hobby and interest is horses, it’s better we don’t try and balance our sides!

My wife has said I should get the headset, it’s just selling it to myself with potential launch issues.

Money is not and hasn’t been a deciding factor in any of my rig purchases, it’s weighing up getting use of the kit and family time, currently I prefer my family time.

Upvote 0

Still don't think that's an excuse to lie to your wife.

Got my wife a nice guitar for her last birthday. She wanted a complete kitchen remodel down to the subfloor recently. Before that we had our master closet expanded to encompass the entire adjoining bedroom. Before that I got her a beautiful piano. She has as many nice bicycles as I do.

However, it is hard to compete with any equine hobby.

I know a guy who supported his wife's dressage hobby. Start with a large dually truck with 5th wheel and horse trailer, home with acreage, horse purchases, feed, vet bills, travel, lodging, fuel, saddles, etc etc... My wife's asks are cheap in comparison.

Sounds like the biggest issue for the guy asking is a concern over wasted time. I can seriously relate to that one. That's why I don't want to deal with multiple headsets. What I have just works great and I don't want to rock the boat. I barely get any sim time as it is lately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Meanwhile, at least VR related..... :)

I enjoyed watching this

No doubt MS Flight Sim 2020 and the new Star Wars VR title are going to be on peoples radar for enjoying a new HP G2
Was doing 24 hours Spa ACC Career event yesterday. Best simracing VR experience I had to day.
And this is on Odyssey+, can only imagine this in G2 resolution.

Upvote 0
Still don't think that's an excuse to lie to your wife.

Got my wife a nice guitar for her last birthday. She wanted a complete kitchen remodel down to the subfloor recently. Before that we had our master closet expanded to encompass the entire adjoining bedroom. Before that I got her a beautiful piano. She has as many nice bicycles as I do.

30 years together, kids, still going strong. I dont think you need to take one liners on the forums so seriously, thanks :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea