HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Why no one except Sebastian got a piece for review? :unsure: Where is VoodooDE?
Did we hear official word from HP on shipping date, the rumor was Sep-15th, but it wasn't confirmed from what I know.

Upvote 0
I will be getting it for sure. If I don't there will be no way to see if I prefer the fov of the index or the resolution of the G2.

Without the adjustable IPD the G1 was never an option but this one is certainly interesting and the audio on the index is great so no worries about having to go back to headphones.

Upvote 0
I've ordered a G2, and hope that it's going to work out well for me. I've never tried VR so am excited about how good it could be.

I currently don't have the right space to put a dedicated single or triple screen in, but when I bought my P1-X I also bought the caster wheels so I can move it in front of my desk which has a 34" ultrawide.

To be honest that's working well for now, but it feels like a bit of a faff moving the rig, pulling the screen forward, lining it all up etc. The idea of having a static rig with a VR set is too tempting.

I'm fairly sure I'll get a 3080Ti when released to ensure frame rate and quality are as high as possible on today's hardware, but depending on timing I'm sure my 1080Ti will deliver ok if not outstanding results.

I love a hobby where there is so much potential to get new kit. ;)

Upvote 0
I've ordered a G2, and hope that it's going to work out well for me. I've never tried VR so am excited about how good it could be.

I currently don't have the right space to put a dedicated single or triple screen in, but when I bought my P1-X I also bought the caster wheels so I can move it in front of my desk which has a 34" ultrawide.

To be honest that's working well for now, but it feels like a bit of a faff moving the rig, pulling the screen forward, lining it all up etc. The idea of having a static rig with a VR set is too tempting.

I'm fairly sure I'll get a 3080Ti when released to ensure frame rate and quality are as high as possible on today's hardware, but depending on timing I'm sure my 1080Ti will deliver ok if not outstanding results.

I love a hobby where there is so much potential to get new kit. ;)

Be ready to write the BIG check. (3080ti)

Upvote 0
The G2 definitely deserves attention. It does look like the ultimate sim headset for now.

I will admit that I'm very tempted, however I probably use room scale more than my rig in VR and I don't want to deal with two VR systems.

Upvote 0
I think the 1080ti with the new Reverb G2 might be like the 5'6" guy asking the 5'11" girl to dance.

Yep, I'm not expecting it to be a roaring success, but if there is a gap between the G2 arriving and being able to get a 3080Ti, then hopefully it will deliver something usable if not desirable. It's either that or I keep the G2 in a draw for a couple of months while I wait as I'm not dipping into the 2080 market to fill the gap ;)

Upvote 0
What I am saying is you won't need to. For rF2, AC, iRacing, even ACC. I am running pretty good settings, with a 60hz mode. It's right on the edge of being good enough without really needing an upgrade. I am even running 150% + SS on all titles except ACC, just a but under.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I think the 1080ti with the new Reverb G2 might be like the 5'6" guy asking the 5'11" girl to dance.
How, SS will be lower, that's it.
Using Odyssey+ 1440x1600 x 250%SS = 5760000 pixels
On Reverb translates to 5760000 / 2160 / 2160 = 123%

Plus WMR has 60Hz mode, that let few lucky us even enjoy ACC to full extent with gorgeous visuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
What I am saying is you won't need to. For rF2, AC, iRacing, even ACC. I am running pretty good settings, with a 60hz mode. It's right on the edge of being good enough without really needing an upgrade. I am even running 150% + SS on all titles except ACC, just a but under.

As someone who prefers running 120 fps over 90 fps, 60fps seems like a pretty hard pill to swallow.

Personally I consider not being able to hit 90 fps a non-starter, but we've had this conversation before and I know that you have been comfortable with lower fps since your early days with the Pimax.

IF I were to get a G2, I would likely want a 3080Ti to go with it but at that point I might want something closer to a Pimax 8KX.

A bit off topic, but how many of you expected Pimax to get their new headsets out before the G2 got here?
I wonder how many people canceled their orders when the G2 reviews started.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

As someone who prefers running 120 fps over 90 fps, 60fps seems like a pretty hard pill to swallow.

Personally I consider not being able to hit 90 fps a non-starter, but we've had this conversation before and I know that you have been comfortable with lower fps since your early days with the Pimax.
It works surprisingly great with UE4, not sure why, may be due to deferred rendering and how temporal antialising works sampling over multiple frames, but after a while you can't even tell you are not in 90hz mode. On AC for instance transition is not that seamless. And it works much better than reprojection, image is sharper and framerate is solid smooth.
No doubt 90 would be better, but not for ACC on current hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
LOL! I remember the first time I ran Dirt Rally in 120 fps and was blown away by how much smoother it was. Of course there is a lot of bouncing around and I have motion.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Looking forward to your chuckles running ACC at 120fps.
For me even at 60fps it is the best sim racing experience I have had to day.
If Ampere let us run at higher rate, sure, 60hz is an evil necessity, but I am glad that WMR provided that option or we'd miss out on one of the greatest sims.

Upvote 0
It works surprisingly great with UE4, not sure why, may be due to deferred rendering and how temporal antialising works sampling over multiple frames, but after a while you can't even tell you are not in 90hz mode. On AC for instance transition is not that seamless. And it works much better than reprojection, image is sharper and framerate is solid smooth.
No doubt 90 would be better, but not for ACC on current hardware.

Again, what Andrew said...

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Why no one except Sebastian got a piece for review? :unsure: Where is VoodooDE?
Did we hear official word from HP on shipping date, the rumor was Sep-15th, but it wasn't confirmed from what I know.
On release date. It is definitely not Sep-15th, and not October-1st as amazon.es lists
Official word is still sometime in the "fall".

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea