How much worse is the car handling/physics?

Msportdan

@Simberia
**CAR** not AR...

was watching motorstv last nite, and some iracing action at montreal in a touring car series. Looked really fun and i am tempted to start a trial 3 months. I have the usual sims (gsc, rf2 AC, rre, pcars).

So how does the physics stack up to say the best of the above.?

cheers.

Probably be cheaper to repair too! (re Pontiac v bmw)

I agree with what you are saying, but I think the devs are in a catch-22. Take assetto corsa for example. A small dev. Team.creating a labour of love by the time it was in beta, 2 years ago it was pushing the boundaries of most systems, by the time it comes to consoles it'll be just average to high end. The development takes so long that it gets overtaken and left behind to some extent.

Big publishing houses aren't interested in that commitment, they want regular development cycles & revenue streams like the Forza franchise.

Crowd funding almost worked from what I've read but I think project cars fell into the appease everyone camp and suffered as a result.

It really only leaves a subscription model or pay to play like RRE. They require constant development and expansion to keep the consumer interested.

Rfactor 2 ships with virtually nothing leaving it to the consumer to make their own content, graphically out of date I'm amazed this sells at all, but its people's passion that keeps it going.

Sorry for the ramble it's early morning and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

How many racing titles have you played and seen t1 as a massacre lottery gamble on almost every race? (non league). For me, it's every single one of them.

I don't do league racing, I dont have a regular schedule for this. For me, I want to turn my computer on, check out what's available, see what I fancy and go racing. I don't want to be steamrolled at t1 I want to be respected as a racing driver / obstacle in that instant, a problem to be solved if you will.

Relax and remember to breathe! Go enjoy the racing games!!
:)

Don't put words in people's mouths.

Nowhere did I say I hate it. I elaborated in response to a comment made by someone else.

As I said to @Eckhart von Glan and I'll say it to @snyperal it can be fun and has its moments. It IS a 'one stop shop' and nobody else, at least for now, is doing what they do. But, it is far from perfect. Out of all the sims, iRacing is the heftiest in cost. For all content plus subscriptions, averaged out over years can run as high as $400.00 year and if they close up shop tomorrow, what do you have? Zilch, nada, nothing you can't even play offline. So, yeah I'm especially critical of it since you'd think or hope that they better deliver.

Nah! No aneurysms here. Just being objective. I could write an essay like that about any simulator that's out right now because they all have their own unique set of issues.

Problem is they are all 12+ year old engines that have severe limitations. iRacing dates back to at least NR2k3 of not GPL which was what, 1998? rFactor/rFactor2 at least 10 years if not more if you go back to the first ISI engines with EA. pCARS is a derivative of ISI somewhere in there as is RRE are they not?

It's time somebody broke the mould. Some new hotshot CompSci kid is out there. Use ALL 8 cores (or more - future) of a CPU. 1 per tire and the other 4 for whatever other physics and operations. Use GPUs for Physics. Soft Physics modeling for chassis, drive train, suspension etc., not this archaic, rigid, outdated stuff. Stop catering to the lowest common denominator. You have a Potato, well you WILL need to upgrade. That's life, the price of progress.. blah, blah, blah. Sim Racing is a pastime/hobby just like anything else and those activities cost money. Make the new standard 8 Core CPUs minimum, support for more than one GPU, run the simulations at higher operational frequencies if it will truly help, utilize DirectX 12 or higher as it evolves, have engine component failure, drive train failures, suspension failures.

The current developer landscape is stuck in these old engines because the devs are, to a large degree locked into their current path, are trying to capitalize on their time and work, and most important rewrites or starting from scratch is either daunting or more likely, they don't want to. There are excuses for every issue, there are bottlenecks with hardware and software which are at least partially due partly to the way things were and are developed. i.e. I'll bet there is still some DOS 2.0 strain in Windows 10 because it has always only evolved from that back at day one Microsoft. How can Windows change? By that example, how can any of these simulators change. It's not 2005 anymore but some engine is still using old coding framework from back then and we wonder why video stutter is ever present with my amazing new 980ti or 390x or it doesn't work well on multiple screens or whatever. It won't or can't seem to get fixed.

Somebody new, something new will come along and set everything on its ear. It's due.

I play all the simulators. I enjoy it and have fun... to a point. I want more! As I'm sure many others do.

Oh, and btw, BMW is NOT the ultimate driving machine. Off the top of my head, a Pontiac G8 will mop the floor with several BMW models at an easy 1/2 the cost. And, it's not even my first choice of cars that will out perform any BMW hands down.

Fun fact:
Every game without super expensive content and without a subscription model is able to offer clean racing.

All that's needed is a minimalistic security rating (just counting contact with others) with an aging system and the option to limit servers to specific ratings.

Once you have an option to keep those rammers out of your servers the community of "serious racers" will grow and soon iRacing would have to overthink their business model, because it's the first time there's a game out there offering clean racing at no extra costs.

The fast guys at iRacing most certainly, while good there will or would have real world bad habits.
Yeeeaa...

Glenn McGee said:
HUGE thanks to iRacing for making a simulator so real I could develop myself to the point to beat the seasoned and best Mazda champions in club racing and for giving all of us this opportunity now and for years to come!!

We really surprised Mazda and its so great that they came through and are supporting us.

I remember back in GP2 we were using super oversteery setups for best laptimes, we basically were rally driving with those F1 cars.

Remember: race drivers saying "it's so real, i use it for practice" have said that about games 10 years ago too...
It's just advertising...

People should find and read the iRacing/McArthur lawsuit details. Not just an interesting read on many levels but certainly revealing on many levels.
You really don't like iRacing and I'm sure there is no argument which will change your mind. IMO Alfalla's and Huttu's experiences are the proof, that iRacing really helps in real racing. Coming back to Glenn I'll quote more (and this event isn't sponsored by iRacing, this is Mazda event, they just let 2 fastest iR Mazda racers take a part in the shootout).

Glenn McGee said:
Perhaps this is the only comp where sim-drivers were taken more or less "out of the box" and put up against Real-champions and judged from there instead of competing against other sim-drivers and then being developed to race against pro-drivers.
Glenn McGee said:
Everyone was very nice, but certainly None of the Mazda staff and the other drivers were looking at me or Rich as seriously as the rest of the drivers. It was pretty hilarious at the event though. It was raining really really bad, and fortunately from the very first session, I managed to put a big margin between me and the other guys in difficult conditions and when I came off the track, Andrew Carbonell (Pro driver for Mazda and data coach) looked at me, shook his head, laughed and said "this is crazy". It was cool to see him in total disbelief. He then showed me the data and I was less than 5/10ths off of his benchmark time. It wasn't something I expected really and the traditional drivers were really just flabbergasted.

After that, especially the next day, I had all of the drivers very interested in me and iRacing and the younger guys especially. One of the older champions came up to me and said that it was a big surprise to him and he wanted me to win, so that was pretty cool and Mark Drennan (who no lie, is a GPL sim-driver and knows Huttu and everyone) was very respectful and we had a great time off track w/ loads of respect for one another. I lost my advantage as the track dryed and was still trying to learn the finer points of the tires and car and Drennan was charging and consistent fast so it was a really close battle in the end and a lot of fun :D

And Glenn is not the only one example of iRacers who are really good in real life. To name a few:
  • Wyatt Gooden who won VW Jetta competition in iRacing, then he competed in the Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup. Having achieved 2 victories during the season, he won the Rookie of the Year title. In 2011 Wyatt was awarded the opportunity to drive a Honda powered Open wheel car in professional competition. His open wheel debut took place at the 2011 F1600 Championship Series Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course event, where he won both races. One month later Wyatt was selected for the 2011 Team USA Scholarship, becoming a finalist. In October 2011, he competed in two more F1600 Championship Series events at Watkins Glen International, winning both races and earning the title as #1 Ranked Formula Ford driver in 2011 by eFormulaCarNews.com.
    In 2012 Wyatt competed in the F2000 Championship Series with Quantum Racing Services.[2] He finished second in points with two wins and two poles among 12 podium finishes from 14 races.
  • Christian Szymczak - having never seen a race track nor been in a race car, Christian scored pole position in his very first race. The pressure of leading in his first laps saw him crash from the lead in turn 4, but his fate was sealed. Christian had bit bitten by the race car bug and felt that he must absolutely continue to race! In 2013 Christian won the SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup championship.
  • Richie Stanaway - formula Renault 3.5 driver who during his recovery from the crash in 2012 competed in iRacing Grand Prix World Championship to stay sharp and train racecraft.
  • Max Verstappen - Formula 1 driver, who is also Team Redline member and prepares himself for real world races in iRacing too:
    2 days later after this video has been published Max made the same pass in Blanchimont in real F1 race.

Last edited:
Why is this even an argument.... ?

Sure, every sims have flaws. With that said, I don't see anything wrong with the way the GT cars on iRacing have to be driven for example (which is what I've been driving these days). And being arguably a top-end simracer sure as hell helped me out when I first tracked my car.

My word he is passionate about the hate I will give him that! You should post all of this at iRacing forum if you want to make an impact or improvement in the game.

Or you can channel some of this energy into something productive....or something at least fun (if you say this is your idea of fun then you need to seek help right away!).
:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back