How much does a decent set of pedals help lap times?

Hello everyone – first post here, but have been lurking for a bit.

I got into sim racing about a year ago and am currently using a Next Level wheelstand with a Logitech G920 setup. I understand that this is not a “high-end” wheel/pedal setup but it’s what I have for the time being. However, I’ve never personally cared for the feel of the pedals. They feel like toys to me and don’t seem to have much modulation (personal opinion).

Please understand I’m a racer at heart…and that it is killing me to be several seconds behind the top guys in a session. While I know that practice makes perfect, is there time to be made up with a decent pedal set or is it just for realism? Will it connect to my current wheel until I can afford to upgrade that as well?

Any suggestions and experiences are appreciated.

I've recently moved to an OSW and HE Pros from the Fanatec CSW2.5 + the GT wheel w/Universal Hub and V3 pedals.

The Fanatec gear never let me down once and I've actually kept the universal hub and various wheels to use with the OSW along with a USB conversion kit. I even bought another couple of universal hubs to bolt third-party wheels to because the hub provides all the button box I'll ever need on a wheel and you can position them to suit, which is handy.

It's immediate 'plug and play' nature, the ability to set up an individual profile for multiple sims on the wheelbase) and great FFB 'out of the box,' make it a brilliant choice. The V3 pedals are excellent but as others have said, they are, IMHO, improved considerably with the Clubsport Brake Performance Kit, (there's no need for the damper), which I believe will help you gain a little time through improved consistency, if set up and configured properly in the Windows profiler. See the link below how to do that because Fanatec don't make it very clear in their instructions:

With regards the inclusion of the Fanatec Quick Release Adaptor, the wheels available from Fanatec will either bolt directly to the universal hub, (which already has the QR on the back of it) or will have the QR already attached to fit directly on to the CSW v2.5. Have a look at the link below and you'll see what I mean. Also the hub has a standard 6 bolt pattern to attach third party wheels to if needs be and as mentioned, I've currently got a Turn Racing wheel attached to one hub and a MOMO wheel attached to another.

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/product/pc#steeringwheels

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the wheel choice will depend if you can see yourself doing this long enough and often enough that you'd eventually want a DD wheel - if you do then you might as well just get one now, instead of forking out for a Fanatec wheel and then forking out for a DD wheel eventually anyway. You can apparently clamp one to a desk if you turn the force down a bit ( my desk is solid enough that I'm not sure I'd have to ).

The top end pedals seem to need a rig or an equally complex floor mount - I suppose you could screw them to the floor if you wanted instead but I don't think most people can do that! - and with the force required to push the brake you'd have to fix a chair in place anyway so you might as well get a rig at that point so they're actually a more complicated buy than a wheel.

Upvote 0
A very simple "frame" can suffice to hold the pedals and seat in position in many cases. I used light 80/20 profile to hold the pedals and keep my office chair in place during hard braking (load-cell brake). It's quite possible to make the frame fold, telescope or disassemble for storage.

Of course, a dedicated Race-Frame is ideal but, not always practical or affordable. Eventually, I had to build-up my frame to accommodate more and more hardware but, it's totally possible to do so in stages with a bit of planning and evolution in mind. :)

Upvote 0
"Rig also helps a lot. Armchair setups move around, I ended up with shoulder pains and back pain after seasons. So there's your excuse, it's better for your overall health to sim race on a rig."

I don't know you, but I like you! My kind of guy! A rig (P1 or 80/20 of some kind) is certainly in my long term plans. I'd love to try one. If anyone is near Charlotte, NC USA...help a guy out with a test drive! I've never tried anything like that but would LOVE to. First things first however.

Thanks to all that have replied with great helpful information. Honestly. Your insight is very much appreciated. Just for fun, I've attached a couple pics of the current setup. The TV looks odd/small, but it would appear to just be the angle of the picture.

Again, thank you to all for the replies and help.

IMG_3480.jpg
IMG_3481.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know you, but I like you! My kind of guy! A rig (P1 or 80/20 of some kind) is certainly in my long term plans.
I got a GT omega pro, I'd rate it as a low end rig but it has a price to match.

https://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-om.../gt-omega-pro-racing-simulator-basic-rs9-seat

I'm 6'2" so I just about fit in it, I'd like to have the wheel higher up and might try bodging it, but it works and it's easy enough to break down and store if needs be. If your handy at making things the 80/20 seems like a good solution.

Upvote 0
I got a GT omega pro, I'd rate it as a low end rig but it has a price to match.

https://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-om.../gt-omega-pro-racing-simulator-basic-rs9-seat

I'm 6'2" so I just about fit in it, I'd like to have the wheel higher up and might try bodging it, but it works and it's easy enough to break down and store if needs be. If your handy at making things the 80/20 seems like a good solution.
6'4" GT Omega Pro user with custom seat here. Can confirm it is a solid rig or the money.

Upvote 0
Hey Jebfour,
Just some food for thought...

I have the same stand as yourself and I am running a CSW v2. I have had to replace the bar, which the wheel fixes to, because the welds on the brackets (each side), which fit to the main stand (silver bars), either failed or started to rip the bar. This started to happen again, so rather than pay for another I reinforced the mounting myself. This happened over time, but I put this down to the torque of the wheel and the set up of the wheel strength.

If you upgrade your wheel, it will be worth noting that the torque of the wheel will increase:
G920 ~6Nm
CSW 2.5 ~8Nm
DD 16Nm upwards
If you upgrade your wheel I would recommend looking at your stand, which has already been suggested by others, because my stand struggled over time with the CSW.

I am now looking to go down the DD route and have an expectation that I will need to get a new stronger stand, probably 80/20 which give me flexibility to add mounts for other items further down the line.

Upvote 0
Possibly so, I was just going on what the internet says... I probably shouldn't believe all I read on the internet. ;)

The point I was trying to make was the step increase of forces generated if you upgrade your wheel and the potential impact on your rig. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back