HoiHman's GS-5 Review

My GS-5 review (from a SFX-100 owners perspective)

I loved my GS-4 and have posted a couple of times the GS-5 was too expensive and i would keep my modded G-seat.

But... as time passed i realised that the best upgrades i have done were always replacing something i loved for a better version. I was slowly justifing the huge price tag for myself and then i knew.

I was going to get one anyway in the future, so why not buy one right now:D

I know that there are a lot SFX100 owners wondering if this is the perfect add-on to their chassis mover. I will be covering this review from that perspective and maybe update the review on a later stage on how it is to use the GS-5 as a standalone motion solution.

The Seat

When i saw the GS-5 for the first time in real life, i was impressed. The GS-5 is a good looking and well built seat. The seat, the cover, the servos and panels all have a quality look to them. I expect this to last a lifetime. Almost everything is improved upon the previous version the GS-4. The GS-5 is made from aluminium, but it weighs much more that the good old GS-4.

Because there's more padding in the front of the seat than at the back, you are automatically forced to raise your legs. I really like the position, but it did made me have to raise my pedal deck.

The mounting bracket allows you to tilt the seat further backwards if needed and has enough recline adjustment available.

The comfort of the seat is much better than the GS-4, but this does have some drawbacks.

The GS-5 is a big seat.

The seat comes with an external control box and some really (too) long cables. Nothing to help you with cable management of these long and sturdy cables is included. The cables can be plugged in any order into the control box, the right panels will be recognised automatically.

Because the cables are very sturdy, i do think you have to be very careful not to damage the connectors when moving the cables around. That's why i ziptied mine on a plate, making the connector - cable connection secure.

I inquired at SimXperience about mounting the control box on a "d-box style" rig and got the answer "we think it will be OK" but also got the recommendation not to mount it close to a buttkicker.

Because the SFX100 can do some serious vibrations and i have installed 2 buttkickers under my seat, i decided not to install the controlbox on my rig, but on a separate panel that lies on the ground. This way it's clear of all vibrations.

Noise levels

The servos are definitely NOT quiet, if you are not a headphone or VR-user the noise may bother you. The noises are digital and to me personal very annoying when driving with a speaker sound system. With headphones or Oculus over earphones, they are almost non-existent and do not bother me at all.

Like with all things in simracing, great speed and performance comes with higher noise levels. This applies to my AccuForce, SimWind, Buttkickers, the SFX100 and yes it's the same for the GS-5.

The servos have 4 different modes available and the most quiet one is the one with the least performance obviously. The sound might be annoying, but it's the kind sound that does not travel far through closed doors or walls. I can race at night with the GS-5 at full speed and power without waking up the family

The different servo modes are still under development and some future improvements on the noise levels are expected.

So what's it like to drive ?

The GS-5 and the SFX100 are a match made in heaven and i'm writing this "review" from that perspective only. I have been enjoying the seat for a couple of weeks now. I have never even tried using the road bumps or vertical surge effects, simply because i have a system in place that does this a lot better and not only on the seat but for the entire frame.

When i got the seat at first it needed some (manual) tuning before it was the way i liked it. It needed a lot of smoothing, a special "Pat mode" and Pat Dotson created even a "Henk mode" before it felt exactly as expected.

Out of the box the GS-5 is very responsive, twitchy and this might be great for someone who sees it as an complete motion solution, but it was not why i bought it.

The support from Pat Dotson at SimXperience has been great in getting to achieve what platform mover owners expect from a GS-5 seat.

Stable and smooth constant G-Forces.

The strongest point of the GS-5 are two panels at the back, the bottom panels are a bit less present.

When you accelerate the 2 back panels push against your back and the lower 2 panels move down. This gives you instant throttle response and it's one of the main features of the GS-5.

Of course the G-forces in the corners is what most people buy a GS-5 for.

It does this really well
, you can feel the build up of the G-Force in synch with the FFB in your wheel. It even does this with a comparable amount of speed and torque. For example the S-curves in Suzuka, followed by the Dunlop corner are joy to drive through........... every single lap.

When you accelerate out of the corner, the panel that was already pushing, pushes you even more together with the other one.

To get a maximum sense of G-load you have to turn down of disable the sway effect of the SFX100. I will try to explain why.

When you have sway enabled and you turn in to a corner, the (frame) seat moves very fast in the opposite direction. Because of the mass inertia of your body, the seat will move away from you on the outside of the corner and taking the panel, that's supposed to press against you, also away.

I have tested this a couple of times and the GS-5/GS-4 feel much more intense with sway turned down or even of.

I've always been a big fan of letting each system do what it's best
Buttkickers : RPM
SFX100 : Heave, Surge, Roll, Pitch
GS-5 : G-Force (=sway)

The bottom panels do a great job for the constant G-Forces. Turning the bottom panels of is an instant miss in the corners. However they are not so good (out of the box) for surge. Compared to the SFX-100, which gives you instant brake response, they feel kind of laggy. Standalone (without the SFX-100) the surge on the bottom panels feels better, but improvement can be made in this area.

This "problem" is mainly caused because the bottom panels are lying (too) deep and pretty far back into the seat. On the front there's about 3-4 inches of foam. The bottom panels first have to travel through this tick foam layer in order to reach your legs, even though they are already lifting your butt.

Here you can see that the bottom panels lie relatively low and to the back.

Under your butt there's maybe half an inch of foam or less, which may cause some comfort issues. If you look closely you can see in the picture below, your butt is almost directly sitting on the panels.

I put an layer of hardform underneath the seat cover that greatly enhances comfort. You can clearly see the lines in the hard foam from the edges of the panels. Without hard foam, this is what your butt is feeling.

GS-5 tuning

There a lot of ways how you can tune the GS-5.

- You can set level of G's on which the panel reaches it's full position
- You can set the intensity of each individual effect
- You can add filters (like smoothing) to each effect
- You can increase the overall intensity of the panels
- You can change the mode of the servos that power the panels
- You can change the offset of the panels

The offset of has a great impact on how the forces are felt and where they are felt, also you can use the offset to adjust the GS-5 more to your body size.

Default profiles and even autotuning can make the GS-5 feel underwhelming, i recommend manual tuning to get the most of of the GS-5

Seat Belts

Wearing seatbelts with the GS-5 is an absolute must. It's the difference between sitting IN the GS-5 or sitting ON the GS-5. Effects are felt so much better, but also feel a lot better.

I just can't helping commenting on the Sim Racing Pit's review At 17:48 i found this rather funny: "I even read in the forum that some GS-5 owners were actually wearing seatbelts"

Get a couple Shawn and you know what all the fuss is about.

Final thoughts

Should you get a GS-5?

Short answer: if you have the money to spend is YES

The GS-5 is an expensive add-on but if feels like something once it's on your rig, it wil never leave. This has always been the case with the GS-4 and was the reason why it has been almost impossible to buy one used in the last couple of years. Nobody who has one wants to race without.

The GS-5 has improved in speed, reliability, torque, looks, comfort, build quality over the GS-4. There's still some improvement to be found with the bottom panels, but i'm a critic and really nitpicking here. I can also see ways for improvement on this area with the same hardware.

I have only scratched the surface of tuning the GS-5 and the combo SFX100 + GS-5, but it's already amazing.

The GS-5 is the only available turnkey simracing peripheral that can simulate G-forces and it does this in a very convincing way.

Thanks Hugo, yes labels can be made a label writer using white on transparent cartridges.

Of Course custom made has it the best, but it's a lot of work. There are a lot great buttonboxes out there and i'm sure you will the one you bought once you get used to where all the buttons are.

3D printing is great, make your own brackets and adjust if needed.

I can already see me designing and printing some adapter brackets for the GS-5 bottom plates which, of course, i will only mount after the warranty has expired :whistling:

Upvote 0
Did my first service of the GS-5 this morning. This needed to be done a bit sooner than i expected.

The Kirkey seat was squealing and squeaking all over the place. Because the entire seat is made out of sections bolted together, i first started with tightening all the bolts. They were definitely not tight enough, still the seat was making way too much noise.

I took some searching but i narrowed it down to a place where the bottom of the seat was scratching against the sidepanels during roll movements with the SFX100. These fast movements cause the GS-5 to flex.

A drop of oil in each corner fixed the noise :thumbsup:

Next step:

I also noticed that there are a lot of small pieces of foam from the cover lying in the seat. Some of these small pieces got stuck on the panels, making them sticky and will probably cause more wear.

I cleaned the panels and put some wax over them, that should reduce the resistance between the panels and the foam from the seat cover and in the end cause less wear.

And.. i also placed a new piece of 10mm hard foam on the bottom on the panels for extra comfort

Upvote 0
I've noticed a lot of foam "debris" also...good idea waxing the panels, I'll give that a go.

What kind of "hard foam" are you using? DO you have an amazon link or similar..and does it noticeably help?

Upvote 0
Hi Henk,

I am curious about you are finding the mounting points you used for the BK Advance and the BK LFE you mounted to the seat. I am waiting on delivery of a GS-5 and planning my build out. As it looks like I will need to get some additional mounting brackets made, experimentation won't be terribly easy.

In my current build I have a single BK advance mounted on the lower back of my seat for RPM and gear change, do you find the mounting point so high on the seat to be problematic at all or because you are sitting against the floating panels does the vibration effectively transfer to that contact point against your body? Would it still work without the LFE between your legs (assuming one might be added down the road?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
You should mount the Advance as high as possible, the higher the mounting point the more it will vibrate the entire seat.

Yes an advance will be sufficient for RPM effects on the back of the GS-5, but obviously adding a LFE improves even more.

Upvote 0
Of course, just means another $600 for the amp to drive it and the LFE. Baby steps...

I am curious how you mounted that 90 degree plate you appear to be using however. Measured a friends seat this morning and remain curious what existing holes you routed it through or if you drilled new ones? My measurements failed to offer any sort of obvious solution.

Upvote 0
@nerdthewise

Well who knows, maybe one day a GS5 owner will take my hint and add multiple exciters (not the Dayton Pucs) to the panels and seat sides. Going a step beyond what Simvibe can offer or in how it can add the frequency limited Dayton Pucs for some effects. I assume the GS5 is still limited to the tactile effects that Simvibe uses and not even supporting positional G based sensations?

Having stumbled onto something a few months ago in seeking to extend engine detailing by adding small tactile exciters. I am currently developing custom effects to operate over multiple body zones. The reason is, that these give feedback that greatly improves over typical installations.

A typical installatiuon being we add a tactile unit or two (or more) and place multiple effects on these. The unit then has to output the Hz for various effects combined at once and this being applied to the seat generating via only one primary body location.

I recall the OP himself has used a phrase "less is more" in the past as often with typical installations by adding too many effects to a single unit the detailing for individual effects can get lost and it can become mush. Lots of people overwhelm tactile units with too many effects and high gain levels. Most likely have no clue what even happens with the dB of the frequencies when we do this.

By applying multiple units with specific roles goes beyond this limitation. To some extent like the seat cushions. However, in this case, we can use the best "tactile exciters" that are available and the important part that typical seat cushion solutions do not have. This is what I can help bring with exclusive effects as its my own goal for my own build to take tactile much further.

Using controls/features that only SimHub seems to offer. A point to note, the developer of Simhub has went out of his way to add several options I and other have requested. Giving us more control and features. Its like the SFX of tactile as it is leading the way but also community focused. Not costing a penny but certainly (donation worthy).

New Potential
Yes, this includes G-Force Based effects that can add (positional vibrational detailing) to your left/right panels for lateral and longitudinal G with felt acceleration in the Back panels, deceleration in the bottom panels. So If it feels great on a static seat then it has to feel even better when such sensations are combined with pressure based contact. I am really curious to have a GS5 owner put some faith into this concept and help with feedback for effects creation.

The Potential:
4 Units for back Panels (Shoulders & Spine)
2 Units for seat Sidewall (All stereo positional effects)
2 Units for bottom Panels (Legs Buttocks)

* Further expand these to work with additional large BK units if desired.

My own build will combine the exciters with large scale units making use of high energy and multiple bodyzones. This approach I can assure anyone, greatly enhances tactile beyond what Simvibe and typical installations can offer. SFX may bring awesome power for bumps and other effects but it clearly is limited in what it can achieve in this regard and all effects emitting from 4 corners is not ideal anyway.

With some creativity and by having Individual effect groups for each unit with the ability to have customized layers operate only on specific units direct to different body regions. Including transitioning effects that can shift over more than one unit with delay being possible. Let me tell you that Simvibe isn't close to letting us achieve what is now possible but its up to each person to decide what they want to go with.

Heres a recent example of ongoing testing (static seat) but some interesting effects and the ability to have multiple layers of effects combined within tidy folder groups. None of that CM/EM nonsense neither.

upload_2019-7-6_2-39-48.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@HoiHman hello! I own a gs5 as well as a prosimu prs200 rig. I've been trying to tune my gs5 alone in an attempt to nail those settings. I've been using pat mode with Henk profile as baseline, but I can't get it the way I want it. I'm starting to suspect that the problem is my expectations more than anything. I just can't get the g-seat to feel strong enough. I use a harness in my seat.

My prosimu actuators feel properly aggressive and really offer a feisty ride. I can't get the gs5 to match relatively. I was wondering is you could share a setup you use now?

And also how would you describe the strength of the forces? I know I shouldn't expect 1 to 1 strength, but the g's in my Honda jazz is stronger going around a roundabout in 35 km/h.

Upvote 0
Hello again!

Well I tried to do the following: I let simvibe autotune a lap with the ferrari gt3 at watkins glen. I changed the offset to your setting and put smoothing on every effect and pat mode. Nothing else was changed. When I got in my seat I for a second thought I had forgot to activate the profile in simvibe as I could hardly feel anything (I was running my actuators as well so I wasn't quite sure). I bumped my overall intensity to 200 and then I got movement. Did not feel strong. I also tried to lower the g force on acceleration to 1.5 and lateral g's to 2 as to make the panels reach 100 % movement at lower g-load. Now it might be that we have different sized backs and an offset of -75 does not fit me. Still can't shake the feeling that something isn't right.

The last couple of days I've gotten a fail message in simcommander: "failure to set driver on iface#1" if I click on it it pops up with different numbers after iface# and I have to shut down simcommander in task manager. Afterwards I sometimes get a message that windows can't identify the connected usb. In that case I need to reboot to get simcommander to open.

This didn't use to happen this often (but I believe it has happened a few times earlier), but I have done some changes to my rig and instead of the short and shielded usb cable that came with the gs5 I use an unshielded 4 meter usb cable. Can this have anything to do with it?

Upvote 0
@HoiHman

Do I recall you are using simhub to power your fans? All of a sudden simhub seems to take control of the COM3 port the gs-5 runs through whenever the Arduino is active (using COM15 for the monster motor shield). Not a whole lot of us out there, don't suppose you been dealing with anything similar?

Upvote 0
Some great news for all GS-5 owners: SimXperience has a new update which brings great performance enhancements for the GS-5.

Turns out that the GS-5 wasn't running at full power until now :D

This version of Sim Commander is being made available for public preview due to several key changes that we would like to gather feedback on:

-We work hard to engineer bulletproof products and ensure that your investment in SimXperience gear is a wise one.
To that end, we will at times throttle back the performance of a new product while we gather real world reliability data.
I'm pleased to announce that today we're taking the rev-limiter off the GS-5 in public preview. This can result in as much as a 50% performance improvement. To test the new experience, simply uninstall Sim Commander 4, install the preview version of Sim Commander attached to this post and auto-tune your profiles with the 'reset to defaults option' checked.

-New GS-5 specific auto-tune logic won't change effect intensity settings unless you choose the 'reset to defaults' option.

-UI on main screen has been changed from the carousel method to a Netflix style grid method.

-The Sim Commander UI will now take focus when a game is running like any other app. This has been done to help novice users who may not understand the previous behavior. If you run the Sim Commander Control Center on another screen and wish to interact with it while games are running and/or wish to ensure that Sim Commander won't take keyboard inputs away from the game even when it should, you can disable the new 'Allow Settings Window To Take Focus' option.

-This version transitions Sim Commander 4 from Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8, bringing several key performance and stability improvements

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back