HoiHman's GS-5 Review

My GS-5 review (from a SFX-100 owners perspective)

I loved my GS-4 and have posted a couple of times the GS-5 was too expensive and i would keep my modded G-seat.

But... as time passed i realised that the best upgrades i have done were always replacing something i loved for a better version. I was slowly justifing the huge price tag for myself and then i knew.

I was going to get one anyway in the future, so why not buy one right now:D

I know that there are a lot SFX100 owners wondering if this is the perfect add-on to their chassis mover. I will be covering this review from that perspective and maybe update the review on a later stage on how it is to use the GS-5 as a standalone motion solution.

The Seat

When i saw the GS-5 for the first time in real life, i was impressed. The GS-5 is a good looking and well built seat. The seat, the cover, the servos and panels all have a quality look to them. I expect this to last a lifetime. Almost everything is improved upon the previous version the GS-4. The GS-5 is made from aluminium, but it weighs much more that the good old GS-4.

Because there's more padding in the front of the seat than at the back, you are automatically forced to raise your legs. I really like the position, but it did made me have to raise my pedal deck.

The mounting bracket allows you to tilt the seat further backwards if needed and has enough recline adjustment available.

The comfort of the seat is much better than the GS-4, but this does have some drawbacks.

The GS-5 is a big seat.

The seat comes with an external control box and some really (too) long cables. Nothing to help you with cable management of these long and sturdy cables is included. The cables can be plugged in any order into the control box, the right panels will be recognised automatically.

Because the cables are very sturdy, i do think you have to be very careful not to damage the connectors when moving the cables around. That's why i ziptied mine on a plate, making the connector - cable connection secure.

I inquired at SimXperience about mounting the control box on a "d-box style" rig and got the answer "we think it will be OK" but also got the recommendation not to mount it close to a buttkicker.

Because the SFX100 can do some serious vibrations and i have installed 2 buttkickers under my seat, i decided not to install the controlbox on my rig, but on a separate panel that lies on the ground. This way it's clear of all vibrations.

Noise levels

The servos are definitely NOT quiet, if you are not a headphone or VR-user the noise may bother you. The noises are digital and to me personal very annoying when driving with a speaker sound system. With headphones or Oculus over earphones, they are almost non-existent and do not bother me at all.

Like with all things in simracing, great speed and performance comes with higher noise levels. This applies to my AccuForce, SimWind, Buttkickers, the SFX100 and yes it's the same for the GS-5.

The servos have 4 different modes available and the most quiet one is the one with the least performance obviously. The sound might be annoying, but it's the kind sound that does not travel far through closed doors or walls. I can race at night with the GS-5 at full speed and power without waking up the family

The different servo modes are still under development and some future improvements on the noise levels are expected.

So what's it like to drive ?

The GS-5 and the SFX100 are a match made in heaven and i'm writing this "review" from that perspective only. I have been enjoying the seat for a couple of weeks now. I have never even tried using the road bumps or vertical surge effects, simply because i have a system in place that does this a lot better and not only on the seat but for the entire frame.

When i got the seat at first it needed some (manual) tuning before it was the way i liked it. It needed a lot of smoothing, a special "Pat mode" and Pat Dotson created even a "Henk mode" before it felt exactly as expected.

Out of the box the GS-5 is very responsive, twitchy and this might be great for someone who sees it as an complete motion solution, but it was not why i bought it.

The support from Pat Dotson at SimXperience has been great in getting to achieve what platform mover owners expect from a GS-5 seat.

Stable and smooth constant G-Forces.

The strongest point of the GS-5 are two panels at the back, the bottom panels are a bit less present.

When you accelerate the 2 back panels push against your back and the lower 2 panels move down. This gives you instant throttle response and it's one of the main features of the GS-5.

Of course the G-forces in the corners is what most people buy a GS-5 for.

It does this really well
, you can feel the build up of the G-Force in synch with the FFB in your wheel. It even does this with a comparable amount of speed and torque. For example the S-curves in Suzuka, followed by the Dunlop corner are joy to drive through........... every single lap.

When you accelerate out of the corner, the panel that was already pushing, pushes you even more together with the other one.

To get a maximum sense of G-load you have to turn down of disable the sway effect of the SFX100. I will try to explain why.

When you have sway enabled and you turn in to a corner, the (frame) seat moves very fast in the opposite direction. Because of the mass inertia of your body, the seat will move away from you on the outside of the corner and taking the panel, that's supposed to press against you, also away.

I have tested this a couple of times and the GS-5/GS-4 feel much more intense with sway turned down or even of.

I've always been a big fan of letting each system do what it's best
Buttkickers : RPM
SFX100 : Heave, Surge, Roll, Pitch
GS-5 : G-Force (=sway)

The bottom panels do a great job for the constant G-Forces. Turning the bottom panels of is an instant miss in the corners. However they are not so good (out of the box) for surge. Compared to the SFX-100, which gives you instant brake response, they feel kind of laggy. Standalone (without the SFX-100) the surge on the bottom panels feels better, but improvement can be made in this area.

This "problem" is mainly caused because the bottom panels are lying (too) deep and pretty far back into the seat. On the front there's about 3-4 inches of foam. The bottom panels first have to travel through this tick foam layer in order to reach your legs, even though they are already lifting your butt.

Here you can see that the bottom panels lie relatively low and to the back.

Under your butt there's maybe half an inch of foam or less, which may cause some comfort issues. If you look closely you can see in the picture below, your butt is almost directly sitting on the panels.

I put an layer of hardform underneath the seat cover that greatly enhances comfort. You can clearly see the lines in the hard foam from the edges of the panels. Without hard foam, this is what your butt is feeling.

GS-5 tuning

There a lot of ways how you can tune the GS-5.

- You can set level of G's on which the panel reaches it's full position
- You can set the intensity of each individual effect
- You can add filters (like smoothing) to each effect
- You can increase the overall intensity of the panels
- You can change the mode of the servos that power the panels
- You can change the offset of the panels

The offset of has a great impact on how the forces are felt and where they are felt, also you can use the offset to adjust the GS-5 more to your body size.

Default profiles and even autotuning can make the GS-5 feel underwhelming, i recommend manual tuning to get the most of of the GS-5

Seat Belts

Wearing seatbelts with the GS-5 is an absolute must. It's the difference between sitting IN the GS-5 or sitting ON the GS-5. Effects are felt so much better, but also feel a lot better.

I just can't helping commenting on the Sim Racing Pit's review At 17:48 i found this rather funny: "I even read in the forum that some GS-5 owners were actually wearing seatbelts"

Get a couple Shawn and you know what all the fuss is about.

Final thoughts

Should you get a GS-5?

Short answer: if you have the money to spend is YES

The GS-5 is an expensive add-on but if feels like something once it's on your rig, it wil never leave. This has always been the case with the GS-4 and was the reason why it has been almost impossible to buy one used in the last couple of years. Nobody who has one wants to race without.

The GS-5 has improved in speed, reliability, torque, looks, comfort, build quality over the GS-4. There's still some improvement to be found with the bottom panels, but i'm a critic and really nitpicking here. I can also see ways for improvement on this area with the same hardware.

I have only scratched the surface of tuning the GS-5 and the combo SFX100 + GS-5, but it's already amazing.

The GS-5 is the only available turnkey simracing peripheral that can simulate G-forces and it does this in a very convincing way.

Ok thank you. So it really is a tank, good to hear. Am considering buying GS-5 with G-Belt, only the potential noise is holding me off now, since my current setup (SFX100) is so quiet I can race with the Valve Index headphones at 40-50% volume and I don't hear the motion. I hope I wouldn't need any on-ear or in-ear headphones with the GS-5 because I love the Index that doesn't press on my ears.

Both G-belt and GS-5 are noisy and require noise cancelling headphones if these type of sounds bother you. I always found them quite distracting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok thank you. So it really is a tank, good to hear. Am considering buying GS-5 with G-Belt, only the potential noise is holding me off now, since my current setup (SFX100) is so quiet I can race with the Valve Index headphones at 40-50% volume and I don't hear the motion. I hope I wouldn't need any on-ear or in-ear headphones with the GS-5 because I love the Index that doesn't press on my ears.
I second that it is a tank, and I still find it a very useful part of my system that I would not want to live without. The seat is a very comfortable one, even for bigger drivers. The driving experience is great. On the cons side, the seat can be a be creaky/squeaky (but that is easily be fixed ). The actuators are annoying sounding (with it being annoying to others in the house). I have found simxperience to be quite disrespectful to customers and in response to customer requests.

In the end, for a g-force seat, they are the only game in town. I still enjoy mine. Just make sure the games you want to play are supported.

Upvote 0
@HoiHman I'm not sure if you're using VR with your G-seat/G-belt, but I've found that adding some fake g-effects (using Neck FX in Assetto Corsa, for example) can not only deepen the immersion, but also correct what are incorrect physical side effects from the seat and harness.
When braking, the belts physically pull you slightly backwards and away from the dashboard, whereas in a moving vehicle, inertia under braking should force you forwards. Similarly when accelerating, the backrest actuators physically push you slightly forwards towards the dashboard, when again, the opposite should be true and you should be sinking backwards into the seat. These physical movements, although tiny, are very noticeable in VR. By adding appropriate visual g-effects so that the HMD view surges slightly forwards under braking and backwards under acceleration, these physical side effects from the seat and belt can be cancelled and actually corrected. Similarly, lateral visual g-movement can also be applied to help enhance the physical cornering effects of the seat and harness.
None of this might be necessary on flat screens but in VR the slightest movement of your head is very easily perceived. Applying these virtual forces to my viewpoint fixed the slight disconnect I was initially feeling and seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle.
They're definitely worth trying if you haven't used them before. They might feel weird at first if you're not used to having them... but I think definitely worth persevering with.

Upvote 0
@HoiHman I'm not sure if you're using VR with your G-seat/G-belt, but I've found that adding some fake g-effects (using Neck FX in Assetto Corsa, for example) can not only deepen the immersion, but also correct what are incorrect physical side effects from the seat and harness.
When braking, the belts physically pull you slightly backwards and away from the dashboard, whereas in a moving vehicle, inertia under braking should force you forwards. Similarly when accelerating, the backrest actuators physically push you slightly forwards towards the dashboard, when again, the opposite should be true and you should be sinking backwards into the seat. These physical movements, although tiny, are very noticeable in VR. By adding appropriate visual g-effects so that the HMD view surges slightly forwards under braking and backwards under acceleration, these physical side effects from the seat and belt can be cancelled and actually corrected. Similarly, lateral visual g-movement can also be applied to help enhance the physical cornering effects of the seat and harness.
None of this might be necessary on flat screens but in VR the slightest movement of your head is very easily perceived. Applying these virtual forces to my viewpoint fixed the slight disconnect I was initially feeling and seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle.
They're definitely worth trying if you haven't used them before. They might feel weird at first if you're not used to having them... but I think definitely worth persevering with.

Thanks @Mascot for the idea, but in my experience the GS-5 does not actually move my body, since i'm strapped in and going nowhere. It just applies or releases pressure on the 4 panels, same goes for the seatbelt tensioner itself.

Those viewpoint changes under surge you are talking about are already there because the SFX100 is diving forwards under braking.

I feel very connected in the sim and the combo of GS-5, belt tensioner + SFX is a golden one, especially in VR. However it does not even come close to the real thing. You have to fool your self thinking you are actually there on track and a you will be having a great experience. It's awesome, but it will always require some level of imagination. Unwanted head movements would distract me, but good to hear it's working for you.

From my experience with my real life track car, sim racing will be sim racing. Real cornering or braking can't be simulated, but the biggest difference is the adrenaline that goes through you body giving you absolute focus. One slight mistake could have serious consequences. People might think the GS-5 is expensive and it is, but compared to the real thing it's only a couple of trackdays;)

After almost 5 years of owning the GS-5 i can say it has been flawless.

I would pick the GS-5 + belt tensioner combo over any chassis mover like the SFX / Dbox if i would have to make that difficult choice, but i 'm glad i don't have to.

Upvote 0
Thanks @Mascot for the idea, but in my experience the GS-5 does not actually move my body, since i'm strapped in and going nowhere. It just applies or releases pressure on the 4 panels, same goes for the seatbelt tensioner itself.

Those viewpoint changes under surge you are talking about are already there because the SFX100 is diving forwards under braking.

I feel very connected in the sim and the combo of GS-5, belt tensioner + SFX is a golden one, especially in VR. However it does not even come close to the real thing. You have to fool your self thinking you are actually there on track and a you will be having a great experience. It's awesome, but it will always require some level of imagination. Unwanted head movements would distract me, but good to hear it's working for you.

From my experience with my real life track car, sim racing will be sim racing. Real cornering or braking can't be simulated, but the biggest difference is the adrenaline that goes through you body giving you absolute focus. One slight mistake could have serious consequences. People might think the GS-5 is expensive and it is, but compared to the real thing it's only a couple of trackdays;)

After almost 5 years of owning the GS-5 i can say it has been flawless.

I would pick the GS-5 + belt tensioner combo over any chassis mover like the SFX / Dbox if i would have to make that difficult choice, but i 'm glad i don't have to.
After posting, I did realise that your SFX100 would be diving under braking and lifting under acceleration so added virtual g-effects probably wouldn't be necessary for anyone using the G-Seat/G-Belt on a chassis mover. I have owned a seat mover and a chassis mover in the past, but use my G-Seat/G-Belt on a static rig, and TBH don't feel the need for any additional movement at all. They are wonderful products.

I'm also strapped in with a very tight harness (no point having it loose..!) and my shoulders/head definitely move fore from the seat actuators and aft from the active belt tension. As I said, it's a very small amount, maybe no more than 10-20mm, but easily perceptible in VR and in the opposite direction to what would be expected in a moving vehicle.

For the record, I've never used (or even felt the need) for virtual g-effects in my headset while using the seat mover, the chassis mover or in a completely static rig. The requirement only became apparent with the G-Seat and G-Belt because they were moving my view counterintuitively. Thankfully, the issue easily addressed.

Upvote 0
I've heard a number of people say they were perfectly happy with tactile and/or G-forces without motion and a few people like you have removed motion from their rigs.

Perhaps they agree with Neil Heusinkveld about motion systems giving you the wrong cues.

I know some had early SFX-100 systems and had high pitched whines and other issues that became deal breakers to them.

For racing on a track, I firmly do not believe that motion is needed, but I still like mine.

For Rally and flight, I think that motion makes a much bigger difference in the emersion factor. However once you get used to having motion ( whether it is realistic or not) you tend to miss it when it's gone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've heard a number of people say they were perfectly happy with tactile and/or G-forces without motion and a few people like you have removed motion from their rigs.

Perhaps they agree with Neil Heusinkveld about motion systems giving you the wrong cues.

I know some had early SFX-100 systems and had high pitched whines and other issues that became deal breakers to them.

For racing on a track, I firmly do not believe that motion is needed, but I still like mine.

For Rally and flight, I think that motion makes a much bigger difference in the emersion factor. However once you get used to having motion ( whether it is realistic or not) you tend to miss it when it's gone.
Yep, the coil whine was the reason I eventually had to sell my SFX100. I believe it's no longer a problem with the new controllers.
I was very relieved that the G-Seat and G-Belt both have zero coil whine. Like others have said, the actuators are quite noisy during operation in a quiet room, but at racing volume with my 5.1 satellite speakers, they can't easily be heard... and any noises that do come through just sound like the types of mechanical rattles and squeaks you'd expect from a stripped-out race car being angrily thrashed around a circuit, and actually kind of compliment the rest of the sim audio. They certainly don't sound out of place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FWIW I love my G-Belt and I know the G-Seat is the obvious complement to it. This is especially obvious in flight when the G-Belt pulls in when I dive and nothing happens when I climb.

The idea of adding G force pressure in flight makes a lot of sense because of the sustained G-Forces. I'm sure the same it true for driving around corners and having sustained pressure etc.. Some day I may decide to take the plunge, but I love how my seat currently holds me snuggly and I know the G-Seat will be a loose fit and I have no idea how much tweaking with various foams etc.. I would need to feel right in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SFX has coilwhine, the GS-5 is noisy, buttkickers are noisy to, especially with rpm effects and last but not least the windsim isn't quiet either.

My solution : Noise cancelling headphones :)

Not only do they filter out all the unwanted peripheral noises, but they kind of act like a support for my VR headset, keep it more stable with less pressure on my cheeks.

It's a win win.

I could never go back to a motionless rig, it wouldn't be fun anymore. It's like going back to driving with a G25. Yes it's possible, but it would take the joy out of simracing for me.

Upvote 0
I agree. I don't understand why more people don't use headphones. You don't even need noise cancelling. A good pair of closed-back headphones and a decent volume level wont let you hear anything from the real world. I use Sennheiser HD 25 light new ver. The are not bulky nor heavy so they work great with VR headsets, sound great and isolate very well.

Upvote 0
I agree. I don't understand why more people don't use headphones. You don't even need noise cancelling. A good pair of closed-back headphones and a decent volume level wont let you hear anything from the real world. I use Sennheiser HD 25 light new ver. The are not bulky nor heavy so they work great with VR headsets, sound great and isolate very well.
I might go that way at some point but it's extra faff (and expense) that I'd rather avoid, if possible. Plus, you don't always want to be isolated from external sounds.
I assume your headphones are wireless and 5.1? Wired headphones would be one more cable to annoy me, and racing in stereo would be a step backwards.
Never tried 5.1 headphones so no idea how convincing they are, but my Yamaha surround amp and speakers are fantastic. I need that 360 degree audio to go with the 360 degree VR view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I might go that way at some point but it's extra faff (and expense) that I'd rather avoid, if possible. Plus, you don't always want to be isolated from external sounds.
I assume your headphones are wireless and 5.1? Wired headphones would be one more cable to annoy me, and racing in stereo would be a step backwards.
Never tried 5.1 headphones so no idea how convincing they are, but my Yamaha surround amp and speakers are fantastic.
Of course, wired. Not even my mouse in my rig is wireless. Of course, stereo. 5.1 headphones is just a marketing strategy for selling low quality headphones to gamers.

Upvote 0
Of course, wired. Not even my mouse in my rig is wireless. Of course, stereo. 5.1 headphones is just a marketing strategy for selling low quality headphones to gamers.
Well, hopefully there ARE good 5.1/7.1 headphones for gaming because 360 audio is extremely useful for sim racing. Not only useful, but also more immersive.
I have an ASUS ROG headset (noise cancelling) that I've tested once in sim racing, but it's stereo only and was like losing one of my senses after gaming in surround sound for the past 20-odd years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back