Heusinkveld Sprint pedals occasionally stops responding mid race !

I got my new Heusinkveld Sprint pedals a couple of weeks ago and they are amazing! I almost exclusively race Assetto Corsa Competizione. However, twice they have started to act up mid race! Either you get stuck in full throttle or they do not respond at all and same with the breaks. If you wait a few seconds they respond again for a second and then they act up again!? It is like they get stuck in on/off loop. Anyone have the same issue or suggestion on what is happening?

Just thought I would chime in here, I recently got a Fanatec DD1 and I have the DD PSU and a large APC battery backup unit mounted right next to my pedals and I do not have any EMI issues with my HE sprints. I also run a diy rumble mod on my pedals with an arduino and a stepper motor. I don't know if this helps at all but I have attached a picture for reference.

P.S. Don't mind the cable mess, I am in the process of rewiring and moving my tower :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Pedal_Mount.jpg
    Pedal_Mount.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0
I have a 3M USB extension with HE Pro's and apart from issues relating to motion platform which I've since removed, never ever had a problem with the pedals not even once. It's just a generic extension from Amazon or eBay. If you have other things going on, you'll most likely need shielded cables or a total revision of how you connect your devices.

I would be starting out by removing anything unnecessary for your driving and testing by adding back one device at a time. See which one is most likely causing a conflict. Sim racing is never without compromises and problem solving. Each system is vastly different from another and needs to be treated as such.

I've had so many issues with my setup that needed individual troubleshooting. From DIY motion to tactile to VR headsets, the list goes on.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Same here with HE Pro. They outlived few PC builds (all Intel), OSW DD wheel with lots of EMI, SC2 Pro now, not even connected directly to PC, using USB Hub with extension. Rock solid. The only issue I had was jittery brake pedal reading until I properly grounded OSW DD.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's weird I kinda like simple design so nothing fancy and not many USB things
Mouse
Keyboard
HP Reverb
Arctis 7 headset
DD1
Sprints
(nothing I can remove to race...)

That's all and I never had any single issue with any of these devices...
Actually in 2.5 years of racing not a single issue...

But the Sprints failed again twice yesterday and I was lucky 2nd time I was in the warmup for an Iracing Race...
Not the best to feel confident after that...
  • I've tried all my usb ports and an external PCI USB3 board... Disable all thats sleep mode related in Win10.
  • I tried with a powered hub just before the pedasl to make sure they have enough power.
  • I've tried with 3 different USB A to B cable and ordered one that has ferrites on both sides
  • I've tried with only the pedals , DD1 and Reverb were not plugged (even electrically for the DD1), so that means pedals alone on the rig...
  • I moved and redid all my wiring too...
  • I updated the Mobo bios

Same it can work 20hrs straight then start to lag like crazy and not respond anymore...
The only thing that is still common his my 10m ugreen active extender and teh pedasl themselves... (https://www.amazon.fr/UGREEN-Rallon...en+10+usb+extender&qid=1616583953&sr=8-7&th=1)

So right now I bought a 5m USB A to B cable that I plugged crossing the room.
5m is within USB cable length specs.
It's not a great solution but a least I can troubleshooth without the active extender...

An no I can't make it with a shorter cable...

Upvote 0
Only thing left under the pedal tray is teh amp for basshaker and it's small PSU , some USB cabling and a powerstrip... But again pedal failed at least twice when the main power cord was not even plugged in the AC outlet so the whole rig was not powered...

Upvote 0
Yeah I know do you think pedals are high power ??? I mean appart from registering inputs and sending them... Anyway I'v tried with a powered hub just before the pedals to make sure they have enough juice... And same happened...

I'm waiting from Heusinkvled to come back to me and in the meantime I check with a single 5m cable if that prooves to be stable i'll buy a bunch of extender from amazon and check if one works better than the other...

Problem is that it's so random, for example it worked flawlessly from last Wednesday untill yetersday...

Upvote 0
Yeah I know do you think pedals are high power ??
I avoid active extenders. First, if it is actually active, then it also requires power,
in addition to whatever device is connected to it;
the combination can be problematic for the PC USB port.

I extend USB connections only by a long cable from PC port to a powered hub,
then another long cable to the device.
Never more than 2 cables between device and PC.

In case of issues, open Windows Device Manager, find the USB device,
right-click for properties and open Events tab, View All Events.

I mostly do the opposite of cable management;
running cables closely together induces signals from one to another AKA interference.

Particularly for USB 3, very high frequencies are involved,
and cables rated for USB 2 can be problematic for USB 3.
If at all possible, avoid using USB 3 ports on the PC with long cables.

Upvote 0
OK. Firstly, nice rig! Nice and clean, I particularly like the carpeted platform. I think you lost me a weekend here pal, so thanks for that ;).

Seriously though. I know you say the cable "can not" go shorter. But it MUST. At least, until you confirm that the issue is still present with a regular length cable. Preferably the one that Heusinkveld send you with the pedals. It's been a while but I do not remember having to source my own USB A to B cable so it must have come with the Pro's when I bought them. This is the ONLY way you're going to assess the issue accurately. There are a couple of outcomes here:

- You find that the shorter cable solves the problem
- You find that the shorter cable does not solve the problem
- If solved, can you organise the room in any way that allows you to use a shorter cable. If not, what is the shortest cable possible that gives flawless results but still meets your needs
- If not solved, do another set of pedals work in your desired set up? If so, perhaps it's time to concede that while not flawed in themselves, the Sprint pedals do not fit your individual requirements and start the returns procedure with Heusinkveld. I am sure they will be able to accommodate you.
- If another set of pedals do not work as you desire and show issues akin to the Sprints within your layout, it's DEFINITELY time to reconsider how you're connecting your devices.

There is a solution. Take mine for example. I solved / found issues with my motion setup for the better part of 2 years. In the end, even though now that I think about it, USB devices may have been affected by x570 issues and not correlated to the motion platform itself in the most recent case, I decided to remove the entire thing. Because racing reliably and consistently was THE MOST important thing to me. I am aware that you require a set of pedals to race, but contrary to what I stated initially upon finding your post, perhaps exchanging them for something else may be the most beneficial outcome.

It all comes down to how the hardware suits your needs, The Sprints may be flawless in many applications, for nearly all people, but if they fail you in your usage case, it's not sustainable. It's a shame that a product not found of fault will be returned for the company who sells it but HE have the interest of their customers at heart from my experience and I'm sure will help you reach a satisfactory result.

Upvote 0

Very nice and clean rig :thumbsup:

I like the style in your mancave.

But there is an elefant in the room to talk about:

You state categoricaly that you can´t live without the ultralong cable which is not completely true.
Your style can´t do without, but for troubleshooting it would be possible ( but admittedly a pain in the ass) to setup your compi directly next to your rig and use only OEM cables.
If that works troublefree the problem is out there, maybe not even the cables but a live wire in the wall next to extender?

On another note, WiFi pedals anyone??

Good luck and success Carsten

Upvote 0
I avoid active extenders. First, if it is actually active, then it also requires power,
in addition to whatever device is connected to it;
the combination can be problematic for the PC USB port.

I extend USB connections only by a long cable from PC port to a powered hub,
then another long cable to the device.
Never more than 2 cables between device and PC.

In case of issues, open Windows Device Manager, find the USB device,
right-click for properties and open Events tab, View All Events.

I mostly do the opposite of cable management;
running cables closely together induces signals from one to another AKA interference.

Particularly for USB 3, very high frequencies are involved,
and cables rated for USB 2 can be problematic for USB 3.
If at all possible, avoid using USB 3 ports on the PC with long cables.

Thx for the advices !
I have only usb2 devices on rig so only usb2 cables but yeah they are plugged on USB3 ports as I "think" them more reliable on my B550 mobo (as think even if I never had any most people have issues with usb2 ports) and my DD1 is happily running on USB3 port...
Now your remark for the extender that also need power is really interesting and makes sense... But I tried with a powered hub just before the pedals and had same issue... But I still suspect the extender...
So I'm still running with the single 5m passive cable ATM will see in 5 6 days if it's reliable... It's been working 24/24 for the last 2 days without issues...

And concerning cable managemnt if come both from OCD lol but also more serioulsy the rig is movable I can store it in the corner of the room when not in use as original use of the room was a home theater lol...

So in case it works with the 5m cable what would you suggest ?
Try every extender on market (10m so only active ones) ?
Try a powered extender ? (some have a power input) ?
Try a single active 10m usb A to B cable ?

Thx for taking your time !!

Upvote 0
OK. Firstly, nice rig! Nice and clean, I particularly like the carpeted platform. I think you lost me a weekend here pal, so thanks for that ;).

Seriously though. I know you say the cable "can not" go shorter. But it MUST. At least, until you confirm that the issue is still present with a regular length cable. Preferably the one that Heusinkveld send you with the pedals. It's been a while but I do not remember having to source my own USB A to B cable so it must have come with the Pro's when I bought them. This is the ONLY way you're going to assess the issue accurately. There are a couple of outcomes here:

- You find that the shorter cable solves the problem
- You find that the shorter cable does not solve the problem
- If solved, can you organise the room in any way that allows you to use a shorter cable. If not, what is the shortest cable possible that gives flawless results but still meets your needs
- If not solved, do another set of pedals work in your desired set up? If so, perhaps it's time to concede that while not flawed in themselves, the Sprint pedals do not fit your individual requirements and start the returns procedure with Heusinkveld. I am sure they will be able to accommodate you.
- If another set of pedals do not work as you desire and show issues akin to the Sprints within your layout, it's DEFINITELY time to reconsider how you're connecting your devices.

There is a solution. Take mine for example. I solved / found issues with my motion setup for the better part of 2 years. In the end, even though now that I think about it, USB devices may have been affected by x570 issues and not correlated to the motion platform itself in the most recent case, I decided to remove the entire thing. Because racing reliably and consistently was THE MOST important thing to me. I am aware that you require a set of pedals to race, but contrary to what I stated initially upon finding your post, perhaps exchanging them for something else may be the most beneficial outcome.

It all comes down to how the hardware suits your needs, The Sprints may be flawless in many applications, for nearly all people, but if they fail you in your usage case, it's not sustainable. It's a shame that a product not found of fault will be returned for the company who sells it but HE have the interest of their customers at heart from my experience and I'm sure will help you reach a satisfactory result.

Thx for your tips mate !
Unfortunately as I said I cannot move teh rig and reorganise the room it was mainly designed as a Home theater, so theer is a screen 5.1.2 audio system a dedicated projector box in ceiling and many other things ... Only possibility is to by a 2np PC but well that's little overkill...
Shortest I can go is 5m which is within USB2 specs so it should not create any problem cable wise...
Ans concerning pedals I've been using CSL Elites with LC for 2.5 years without issues...
I'm really hoping the 5m cable is OK, It kills my cable management but I 'd rather have a reliable rig...
Now I have a couple friends that use sprints with both extender and hubs with no trouble so...

Upvote 0
Very nice and clean rig :thumbsup:

I like the style in your mancave.

But there is an elefant in the room to talk about:

You state categoricaly that you can´t live without the ultralong cable which is not completely true.
Your style can´t do without, but for troubleshooting it would be possible ( but admittedly a pain in the ass) to setup your compi directly next to your rig and use only OEM cables.
If that works troublefree the problem is out there, maybe not even the cables but a live wire in the wall next to extender?

On another note, WiFi pedals anyone??

Good luck and success Carsten

Yeah I could lol, I mean everything is possible but a massive pain in the ass lol... That would be the ultimate troubleshooting I guess, I'll move PC next to rig :/

Upvote 0
First I would like to say you have an awesome setup, very nice! I myself am actually converting my rig to entirely self contained. By that I mean everything is mounted on my extruded aluminum frame. The only thing that comes off of it is the power cable for the APC battery backup. That could potentially be an option for you if your up for modifications. The best part of extruded aluminum is the near limitless customization. I am waiting for a couple pieces of aluminum and mounting plates but I can share some pictures when it is done.

Upvote 0
Can't you just temporary move PC next to the rig.

Yes I can of course, but the thing is it can work perfectly for several days... (For example it has worked nearly 24h a day for 5 days then failed twice the same day) I'm not even shutting my PC down at night at the moment just to see if any disconnect happens during the night...
But yeah that would be the ultimate test...

Upvote 0
What other electrical/electronical devices are close to the cable?

EMI is a bitch.

If you´re lucky the temporary cable shows an improvement, than maybe routing the extender " the other way around" to the PC could help. But than probably you have to go around/over the door??

Or can you confiscate the gaming PC from your son to check if its a software/hardware problem?

Good Luck Carsten

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

Votes: 114 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,069 90.4%
Back