HELP!! Randomly lost 30FPS

Hey all,
I'm running the latest version of Sol (1.6.2) and CSP (0.1.62) and I have been able to get between 80~90 FPS on any car and track combo.
Yesterday I started messing with my Ambient Occlusion settings and ran 5~6 session with my normal FPS.
After that my average FPS dropped to around 50 and I can't change it back!
It also feels like the game takes longer to load and after hitting EXIT it does not quit the game instantly as it did before.
I reset everything I changed to its original value but that did not fix my FPS.
I am completely clueless about how to solve this as I reset all my changes and even re-installed CSP but nothing helps!
I was thinking about a hardware issue but other sims/games I tested still run fine. (my PC is far from being a potato too)
My specs:
Specs.png

This is all I actually changed in CM:
Change.png

Last edited:
If you have a problem like that & haven't rebooted, you can try changing your desktop resolution ( you can hit revert straight away ) which basically resets your GPU; I find sometimes I get pretty similar issues with AC when the PC's blanked it's screen for a while & that's a quick way to fix it.

I've rebooted my PC multiple times and have tried to change the resolution in Display Settings and in Content Manager but the problem is still there. :mad::mad:
Weirdly after one of the restarts I manged to run one session with 81 FPS average but after starting a new one I was back to 41 FPS.....
Here is a pic of the game running with task manager:
Annotation 2020-08-04 184338.png

Both CPU and GPU usage seem normal to me and I presume the power usage is fine (??)
Annotation 2020-08-04 184500.png

According to Speccy my CPU is overheating but after I close the game it instantly cools back to 40C?
Maybe this is somehow the cause of the problem? (Summer is in full swing but I use AirCon....)

I did some testing and for some reason I only get normal FPS after doing a restart

AFTER RESTART:
After Restart.png

5 lap stint AVG: 82 MAX: 91 MIN: 41 (weird stutter in the pits that I could not replicate again)

10 MINS AFTER THE 1ST SESSION
1 lap.png

1 lap stint as the lack of FPS made me nauseous
AVG: 48 MAX: 55 MIN 29

I've made 0 changes between the two sessions!

Last edited:
Check GPU temperatures? it could be throttling because of overheating - check your fan profile hasn't reset to a low-noise one, make sure it's clean etc...
My GPU temps seem pretty normal to me but my CPU and Motherboard temps are WAY too high according to Speccy. I've turned my fan profiles up in BIOS settings but it doesn't seem to change much...
I'm taking my PC apart tomorrow to check for damage and do some cleaning.

Here are the results of some testing that I've done (might help):
AC AFTER RESTART.png

This is after a restart, was getting good FPS but relatively high GPU temp
10 MINS LATER.png

This was the second session 10 mins later with much worse FPS but lower GPU temp?!?!?!
iRacing.png

iRacing on basically max settings with similar conditions to AC but I never dipped below 80FPS
AC ORIGINS.png

This is Assassins Creed Origins where I easily get a stable 60+ FPS on max settings

What confuses me is that the CPU and GPU temps are nearly identical in all 4 cases but the performance is completely different.
Also AC getting worse performance with a cooler GPU makes 0 sense to me:O_o:

Hi Gabor. I have had this same issue of losing FPS in second session that I chased for about three weeks looking at temps and usages etc. I fixed my issue the other day but I dont really know what was causing it as I changed a bunch if things at once. I think it may have been an app called razer cortex that was perhaps causing an issue. I also changed background apps and lock screen in windows to picture. Also maybe go through these if you haven't seen it already. https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...-most-common-issues-updated-24-12-2017.16619/
I didnt really change anything in assetto corsa that helped. Also I noticed that 2 cores would jump to 100% usage straight away. Hope some of this helps.

Lower GPU temps & lower FPS suggests either it's bottlenecking elsewhere - as above, what's running in the background? are you auto-starting any other processes ( like ACTI ) with AC? - or the GPU has clocked itself down ( what was the actual GPU usage in the second run? ). Unfortunately usually a long process diagnosing these things if it's software...

I haven't given an update in a while but here is a list of all the things I've tried:
  • Bought a new CPU cooler (my temps are super low now and its really quiet)
  • 7% Overclock on CPU
  • Reinstalled graphics drivers
  • Uninstalled Razer Cortex as suggested by @package
  • Freed up space on drive where AC is installed
  • Gave AC high priority in Task Manager
  • Optimised AC in Nvidia Geforce Experience
  • Tried enabling all CPU and GPU optimisation options in CM
  • Tried downgrading CSP
  • Tried new DXGI stuff in CM
But the bad news is that NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

Lower GPU temps & lower FPS suggests either it's bottlenecking elsewhere - as above, what's running in the background? are you auto-starting any other processes ( like ACTI ) with AC? - or the GPU has clocked itself down ( what was the actual GPU usage in the second run? ). Unfortunately usually a long process diagnosing these things if it's software...
It does seem like a bottleneck but I have no idea what's causing it. I don't run anything in the background when I run AC. The GPU usage according to task manager drops from around 85% to below 60%. I was thinking maybe a temp issue but the GPU running at around 70C seems completely reasonable to me....

It does seem like a bottleneck but I have no idea what's causing it. I don't run anything in the background when I run AC. The GPU usage according to task manager drops from around 85% to below 60%. I was thinking maybe a temp issue but the GPU running at around 70C seems completely reasonable to me....

GPU use ( try using GPU-Z or MSi's tool or anything specific to GPUs ) that low suggests it's bottlenecking elsewhere, like CPU; AC uses two cores ( I think it's more like a core and a half really ), you can find out what it's doing with the render stats ingame app - also running the benchmark will give you some ideas too. Unfortunately it's been ages since I did any AC tuning so I can't really remember the main gotchas :S

GPU use ( try using GPU-Z or MSi's tool or anything specific to GPUs ) that low suggests it's bottlenecking elsewhere, like CPU; AC uses two cores ( I think it's more like a core and a half really ), you can find out what it's doing with the render stats ingame app - also running the benchmark will give you some ideas too. Unfortunately it's been ages since I did any AC tuning so I can't really remember the main gotchas :S
More accurately, AC uses one core for audio/video/general organization stuff, and as many cores as you have for physics (1 thread per car). The first is far more likely to be the bottleneck, as the second only comes into play if you have more AI than cpu power (eg. if they take 10% each, an 8 core can run about 75 AI). of course having more cars increases the audio/video load on the first cpu thread so it also gets worse with more cars.

i have a ryzen 2600x with a r 570 8gb version 32 gb ram @ 3000mhz
watercooled cpu temps 40 until 50 celsius and gpu 60 to 65 degrees celsius. with csp on.

when i drive alone a get up to 200 fps and more
when i drive with some AI cars the fps drops lowest 90 fps

depents on the car/track combi.

some of the ks_xxx cars causin me fps drop even when hot lapping
like the nissan skyline. even dropped it to 40 fps

and when i change car to a other no problem switching back to skyline fps back to 40 again.
but not on all tracks or mod tracks some do some dont.

at the moment do to outside conditions 35 degrees celsius my gpu and cpu are running 7 degrees hotter in idle at the moment.

Last edited:
i use river / msi afterburner to see my real time ingame temps without the need to switch to desktop.
most games wil go in some kind of sleep modus when you switch to other program
so the temps will drop when you switch.

on my pc, my gpu temps will quickly drop from 60 to 40 ish.
and cpu even quickly to 32 degrees when i switch assetto corsa to desktop.

msi after burner also keep track of your high and low temps during computer use. <temp history>

also your vidcard maybe too quick for your system..

a fast pc is not fast by simply buying the most expensive stuff you can afford.

if your gpu is too fast that he out run the cpu < central processing unit>
then you never will use the full potential of your gpu.

its better to have a fast cpu then a fast gpu if you have limited amount of cash for a pc.
its a little balancing act / compromise

Last edited:
i use river / msi afterburner to see my real time ingame temps without the need to switch to desktop.
most games wil go in some kind of sleep modus when you switch to other program
so the temps will drop when you switch.

on my pc, my gpu temps will quickly drop from 60 to 40 ish.
and cpu even quickly to 32 degrees when i switch assetto corsa to desktop.

msi after burner also keep track of your high and low temps during computer use. <temp history>
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try those software.
For the RAM mhz can't I change that in my BIOS settings somehow?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back