Head Tracking options

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Thanks SOLO59, very good info, esp. settings. On 49" G9, I had to set speed to 0.1 and I think doubled smoothness from default 1 to 2. To my surprise as I got Pro Clip version, which also includes hat mounted TrackClip, they both worked pretty much the same, with hat mounted option not needing any wires. Guess in full darkness it would be a no go, but I always have some ambient light, WMR habit.
Would there be a chance to show what you can see on the 49-inch G9 while driving, is it possible to look in the right mirror without any problems?
If that's not a problem, I'd love to see what it looks like, is it possible to make a gameplay movie?
Thank you very much.

I have Trackir 5 on my setup w/ clip. Is it only useable in one camera view on AC? Currently I can only get it to work on the cockpit view with the wheel where as I would like to use the view just before it which is closer and mirrors are out of fov.

I have Trackir 5 on my setup w/ clip. Is it only useable in one camera view on AC? Currently I can only get it to work on the cockpit view with the wheel where as I would like to use the view just before it which is closer and mirrors are out of fov.
Yeah, only cockpit view allows for looking around, sadly.
You should be able to move the camera forward enough to have the same view though!

Hi All, I've been sitting on the fence researching head tracking for ages and finally jumped in. Grass Monkey Solutions "Monkey King" 240 Hz camera is awesome, and the IR clip is sturdy. All 3D printed, but it still looks pretty sharp. I have no affiliation at all BTW, I'm just wrapped to finally find a decent solution and not many sim racers seem to know of this now - might be more popular in the flight sim community maybe.

See attached... I made up a table comparing the specs for all the options I could find before I decided.

The service from Roger was amazing too. If you want full DIY do it all yourself, or go with Delan Clip I guess, but this setup is MUCH smoother than a PS Eye (which i have tried on a friend's rig) and from the stats i think it is better than Track IR too, and it is way cheaper than Track IR in my part of the world (Aus).

Very happy with it.

Attachments

• head tracking options 2022.xlsx
    11.5 KB · Views: 107
Just got a Fusion Clip and it is very thick the casing and not suitable for rounded headphone sided sets like my Beyers.

Just wondering what is suitable?

Another silly impulse buy sigh.

• Deleted member 197115

I have used Track Clip Pro on Beyer T1 no problem.

I have used Track Clip Pro on Beyer T1 no problem.
Track Clip Pro is OK but I nearly break my legs tripping over the cables all the time.
Declan Fusion clip is too big for use on most headphones.

It requires a large flat surface to mount on.

Track Clip Pro clips tend to sllip around on Beyer headphones.

I am so used to the beyer sound,I don't feel the need to splurge on another headphone just to fit a Fusion Cllip.

The best I could come up with are these.

Cheap but non wireless and nice big surface for the Declan Fusion Clip to attach too.

I do not want wireless.

Track Clip Pro is very flimsy with Beyer head phones and the Delan Fusion clip does not fit to anything.

Sigh.

I used to use the Track Clip Pro on my razer headset but that sounded tinny as eff ,250 headset that sounded like a 50 dollar headset.

Just need to keep searching for a headphone that is 4 inches wide on the sides lol to hold the Delan Clip Fusion.
The Fusion Clip is too large to fit onto any headset or head phone.
It's because of the large battery inside.

If anyone knows of a headset/headphone with a big side mounting option,let me know.

Been trawling the internet with no answers.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

If you need flat cup decent sounding ones, Sony MDR1AM2 is a very good choice.
And they are the lightest headphones I've owned, pretty much disappear when worn.

Well,all of my whinging about the Fusion not fitting my Beyer dt 770's were unjustified.

I thought the two velcro dots would not be enough to hold the Fusion Clip but decided to give it a try and happily,the clip has been rock solid and held on firm.

So sorry to Declan for my usual misinformed rant earlier.

Loving the freedom of a wireless mount and it seems more smoother than the Track Clip Pro.

LOL,to think I had this thing stored for a few months searching for another headphone when all I had to do was try.

That video comparison was from 2 years ago and not going to reflect any improvments made... Seems hard to find more up to date videos on the Tobii Eye Tracker 5 well at least for sim racing.

More content seems available that is related to flight / space sims and people enjoying it.
This user gives some very interesting tips in combining the Tobii with Opentrack

Mine has shipped and I am curious to see how well it performs to Beam tracking via phone.

Last edited:
I’ve got the Delan Clip Fusion and as mentioned above if you’re a little bit creative with how and where you apply the velcro you can get it to stick well on most headphones. On my Sen 599’s the velcro is on the top of the plastic bit next to where the adjustment for the head band slides in and out. No problems at all with tracking would definitely recommend.

I’ve got the Delan Clip Fusion and as mentioned above if you’re a little bit creative with how and where you apply the velcro you can get it to stick well on most headphones. On my Sen 599’s the velcro is on the top of the plastic bit next to where the adjustment for the head band slides in and out. No problems at all with tracking would definitely recommend.
I have one of these allso ordered but think I might stick with the tobii as they continue to make improvements and I like it's other features...

I have one of these allso ordered but think I might stick with the tobii as they continue to make improvements and I like it's other features...
Obviously they are at quite different price points so it’s very much down to whether the extra features you get from the Tobii are worth it.

I bought the Delan Clip for flight siming and only briefly tried it out for racing. I’ve since gone to VR for racing but still use the Delan clip for flight siming when I need to read manuals at the same time as flying which can be a pain in VR

Obviously they are at quite different price points so it’s very much down to whether the extra features you get from the Tobii are worth it.

I bought the Delan Clip for flight siming and only briefly tried it out for racing. I’ve since gone to VR for racing but still use the Delan clip for flight siming when I need to read manuals at the same time as flying which can be a pain in VR
Indeed price is quite different but compared to prices of other sim hardware its not that bad. The packaging is apple like, the metal build is excellent and for me its operation and setup has been hassle free. The only drawback is that the main racing sims do not seem to have official support and requires some additional steps.

The Delan clip, looks less robust or could get knocked but having to fix something on my head every time. I would trade this and a little less precision for convenience and comfort.

Different people will prefer different things I suppose...

Last edited:
Long timeTrack IR user.
I was quite curious a while ago to try the Tobii. But never purchased because there were a few things I could not understand:
- I really don't see how to mount the device to my monitor bottom. My monitor is down as close as possible to my wheel. I don't see any way to have a sensor there, without other compromises or general blocking from my wheel rim/hands, etc.
- I was really confused that the max recommended screen size is only 27"

It's just too costly to buy it just to test/experiment. I'm sure there are many people that it can be a game-changer. But I just don't see how it can work in my situation.

The Track IR is easy, simple, no hassle, and works perfect every time. Once you figure out the software (I struggled for a bit....) it can be really powerful to dial things in. I had a battery powered 'pro' sensor for a while, but actually went back to the simple 'hat clip' attached to the top of my headphones.
- The *only* downside is if you have windows or reflective surfaces in the camera's view. But that's pretty easy to manage.

Long timeTrack IR user.
I was quite curious a while ago to try the Tobii. But never purchased because there were a few things I could not understand:
- I really don't see how to mount the device to my monitor bottom. My monitor is down as close as possible to my wheel. I don't see any way to have a sensor there, without other compromises or general blocking from my wheel rim/hands, etc.
- I was really confused that the max recommended screen size is only 27"

It's just too costly to buy it just to test/experiment. I'm sure there are many people that it can be a game-changer. But I just don't see how it can work in my situation.
I went through the same loop with the Tobii. I had it in my basket a few times but couldn’t find much on people who had it set up in a less than optimal configuration. The wireless Delan clip has been rock solid and going with a Quest 3 for VR the Tobii became a bit of a moot point.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.