Have Your Say: Tell Us Your Best RaceDepartment Moments

Having joined a little while back I have only completed one race (AC - Porsche 908 vs GT40 @ Historic Monza) and it was brilliant!

Having come from race2play (RIP) I would like to see results posted and some smaller leagues to create a bit more competition?

I have had none because all of you bastards are too damn fast and haven't let me win yet!

Joking, of course. Racing the 911 cup around Zandvoort was a hoot. It was so much fun, I don't hate that bumpy sandy bastard of a track any more...

I have had so many great moments at RD in the short time I have been here. I became a member in early 2016(?) and only became a premium at the start of this year. :cautious:
I have had amazing races, but my best for sure is the time I got my first (and only podium) online :laugh::
Following a few more races, I met @Bram on TS, and we started to talk. And behold the voice of RaceDepartment! I think this discovery by Bram has benefitted everyone. I mean; you need me! :p

I am not a long member here, only joined some time ago and only became a premium member a few weeks ago (why didn't I do this earlier), when I wanted to try out the club races (you guys really should promote how fantastic those are a bit more - people should KNOW what they miss out).

One of the first great moments was when I met some awesome race buddies during my first few club races. Those guys are not only great buddies on the racetrack, making for fantastic side by side racing action but are some the best guys to talk with and learn from. The most incredible thing about you guys is that on the race track everything else does not matter. Everyone helps everyone else out - real racing spirit.
You will find that new guys in the club races are well taken care of by the old fellas. There is always someone lending you a hand - real racing spirit ;-)
If I would have known what I have missed, I would have joined many, many years ago.

One particular recent moment stays in mind: after a club racing event a few buddies stayed on the TeamSpeak and we tried out a few public servers to race on together.
I had a particular unsuccessful day at the racetrack and went in with the guys to try out some new cars, tracks and just have some plain good old fun, shooting the ****.

We turned out at Monza 1966, a track I have never driven on before, we picked a Lotus 49, a car I have never driven before.
I am usually one of the slow guys, having fun at the end of the pack in the club races.
Initially I felt this vintage Lotus F1 racer fits like a glove and handles like a dream.
I won the first race on an online server ever after a white knuckle 10 (or was it 15?) lap race around Monza, running those high walls being rattled by the bumpy track.
The entire time I had a very fast Frenchman just a little distance behind me and was under constant pressure, not screwing up and not letting him pass. It was the race of my life!

Another equally wonderful moment was done in similar manner - on another day we just raced Porsche 917 on Daytona road course - it was a hoot, even though I was consistently at the end of the pack.
We all felt like Steve McQueen for an hour or two and it was a blast!

Thanks guys, always a high moment racing with you - you know who you are ;-)

For me it will probably my first RD league race win (of only 2 race wins in a league lol)

I believe it was round 3 or 4 of RDTCC S9 Marcas @ Jacarapagua Curva Sul. It was awesome but the main reason I love it at RD is for the sence of comunity. Im just a bit annoyed that I can't race more often these days.

this is an essay :roflmao: so TL;DR : quite many. but to say one of the most meaningful is. i have obtained and learned a new skill and knowledge, and meet new people (and also give a huge thanks for them).

there was a time, when i visited some blog which had F1 2012 mod while i was surfing randomly, i saw one of the ML2166's skin that linked to this site. (i wasn't aware that F1 2012 had mods TBH)

i signed up, downloaded that skin and install. and very amazed with the quality. then, i downloaded his other skins and from few skinners too. felt like it's a entirely brand new game.

later, i had a motivation to create my own for F1 2013. but i'm blind at 2D graphic mod. i have PS but i didn't how to use it before. it's quite scary when tried it at the first time. either i would make it good or even worse.

i downloaded the template, install the NVIDIA dds plugin and read the tutorial about importing/exporting livery using EGO PSSG Editor, and went to PS. at that time i didn't know how to use pen tool, coloring etc. i just only knew about resizing/placing logos, and brush tool. funny if i remember it again.

at first, my first ever skin mod was just a personal used only. but didn't know how, my mind changed to shared my first ever creation to RD. i got a star rating means it's horrible, and i was thinking i would not made it again. it would be first and last time i created a skin for public because they won't accept it. but on positive note, i got a many feedbacks from TheJlFan and w1n1x and taught me patiently how to use PS.

a moments later. i uploaded my 2nd skin when i have had learned PS a bit. amazingly, i got positive appreciations and there was Wilmer, rendered my 2nd skins. felt like a birthday gift my not-so-good skin rendered in such a good look. that was a time he introduced me to KeyShot.

had an eager to continue, i created many skins while also learned both PS and KS in process.

then i jumped to AC. one of my work was praised and got an input by ML2166. the skinner who i admire to. at first, i thought ML was like celebrity which was hard to had a conversation with, but i was wrong. he is really helpful if you want to learn something you don't know. and from him, i have learned how to create new skin template using 3DSMax and many other things in PS.

i want to say many thanks to @ML2166, @realitychecked , @w1n1x, and @Wilmer Chavez to your input, help and knowledge you have shared to me. without you guys maybe i won't be able to do skins and learned 2D graphic. many thanks and hope i can give you something to return in the future. and also to all RD members who have enjoyed my creations.

(and i didn't type this while having a tears you know, it's not like when someone handed you an Oscar at the stage) :p

Last edited:
Having been around here on and off since 2008, I definitely miss the days when to become a premium member, you had to have 100 (or was it 150?) forum posts, and then you had to submit an application to be assessed by staff...

Not :)

Joking aside, among all the great moments in RDRC and on club races (on and off track) from Race07 through to AC, I'd pick a quite funny moment from quite some years back now (2010?) when preparing for Season 4 of the RDRC .
While studying and without my G25 during that time, I spent more time on photoshop than driving (although I did participate using the keyboard!) so I decided to make the livery for my Group N Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6.5.

By letting myself get inspired by my sweet tooth, long story short: this livery caught the attention of @Roy Magnes @Ole Marius Myrvold @Joakim Skalstad , who surprisingly enough I came to meet in person a couple of years later at local folkraces and rallies in Norway (and will meet again tomorrow to try and see if I manage to keep at least two wheels of Joakim's Toyota on the ground :whistling:)

There is a lot of friendly camaraderie here in RD, it's full of easy-going (though sometimes incredibly fast!) people and one does learn a lot around here, so thumbs up for this community for having been around for so long and for keeping on going stronger :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back