Have Your Say: Should F1 Drivers be Involved in Circuit Design?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have your say track design.jpg

Lewis Hamilton sparked an interesting debate recently when suggesting F1 drivers could have a role to play in future circuit design, do you agree?

Hamilton cited the world of golf
where professional players will often be involved in the development of new courses or sections, begging the question as to why the same level of engagement is not employed with Grand Prix drivers in the design of future Formula One circuits.

So the question today is:

Should Formula One drivers be involved in future circuit designs, and if so, could they help improve the racing spectacle?

Go on then folks, 'Have Your Say'!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it would be a good wrap, but something that the most interesting circuits have in common in its layout are high speed parts, combined with strong brakes, sinuous sectors, elevation changes, look for Spa, Interlagos, Nordschleife only a few examples

there was great racing circuits that had something in common, they follow natural landscapes, and thats the big deal with today circuit, they are totally out of place, like most of circuits used for F1 and not use anymore like Korea,India and others. Please the circuits are already there, just use it, dont design new one :) and put this guys to drive with out aero and not much electronic, dont make them design tracks.

The right drivers must be used. Area 27 looks good.

The circuit has the unique distinction of being envisioned, designed, engineered, and constructed by professional racecar drivers. Designed to take advantage of the natural terrain, Area 27's sixteen turns flow through elevation changes like a favorite country road. Complex corner sections are followed by long straights to give drivers a chance to relax and check their gauges.

Jacques Villeneuve explains: "I have always relished the challenge of designing an exciting track, taking into account the single lap excitement, combined with wheel-to-wheel racing opportunities, all while avoiding the pitfalls of the uninteresting tracks. The goal is to design a track I would be proud of getting pole position on, where the fans would also enjoy watching an exciting race."

http://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/canada/area-27.html

blog-area-27.jpg

Drivers are the ones that drive the tracks, so THEY are the ones that know what makes a track fun.

Yet at the same time, if you allow the wrong kind of driver design a track, he will make it another tilkedrome for "safety".

Miami's design from Hamilton was -ok- But it could be improved.

Maybe they should try the tracks in sim before deciding on the track layout. Simply driving the track (driven by someone who knows how to drive fast in sim) and see how it is. Test the overtaking and instead of focusing drs try to create places where drivers can switch back and forth and go over/under. Turns 1-2-3-4 in nurburgring are pretty nice example of this. Just have couple of variations for each corner and choose the best in sim.

Whatever they do they need to stop making every straight perfectly straight and every corner perfectly constant radius. Make the straights curve little and add little variation into the corners by making all them slightly tighten or open. Also add little irregular camber and small elevations into the corners. And test all so it actually makes the track better. A double apex corner becomes a lot more fun if you add little bit of elevation between the corners. Just enough you notice it is there. Even one meter is enough.

Also stop adding corners like turn 2 sochi and turn 1-2-3 in mexico. I can't imagine a corner more stupider than those. It is like a chicane but even more annoying. Also never put a chicane. If you need a chicane your track profile is wrong. Instead of ruining it with a chicane start over.

The right drivers must be used. Area 27 looks good.

The circuit has the unique distinction of being envisioned, designed, engineered, and constructed by professional racecar drivers. Designed to take advantage of the natural terrain, Area 27's sixteen turns flow through elevation changes like a favorite country road. Complex corner sections are followed by long straights to give drivers a chance to relax and check their gauges.

Jacques Villeneuve explains: "I have always relished the challenge of designing an exciting track, taking into account the single lap excitement, combined with wheel-to-wheel racing opportunities, all while avoiding the pitfalls of the uninteresting tracks. The goal is to design a track I would be proud of getting pole position on, where the fans would also enjoy watching an exciting race."

http://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/canada/area-27.html

blog-area-27.jpg

When I looked at the track layout it was very much a meh but when you watch some onboards videos the track has some really nice double apex corners. It looks very fast track though.

I would like to see all drivers in a circle with a pencil and paper: "And now you are going to make a beautiful drawing. Not for ur momy or dady but for the people outside. Sorry Max?...yes u may go to the bathroom, but come back immediately, and watch were u walk. Ooohh...nice Hamilton, that is a circle!
Kimi my dear, a dot is not really a drawing"

Wonder if there would there be any spark in the debate if this was mentioned by Marcus Erricson or Lance Stroll?

Drivers and fans complain about lack of overtaking if all drivers have some input in track design I don't see how that can be a bad thing.....

What difference does it make whether drivers are involved.
Quite frankly, they can have a say since they know what makes for exciting racing.
Being part of a track design team wouldn't offer any more advantage than say...the guy who drives the very first lap on a brand new circuit.
If you want to use the argument that it shouldn't happen, then the whole Pirelli tire testing would fall into that category as well.
Not all teams get to test tires.
By that reasoning, the guys who test them have an advantage and understand them better than the guys who don't and will win everything.
I think we all know that's not the case.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.8%