Have Your Say: Should F1 Drivers be Involved in Circuit Design?

I'll dispute Hungary a lot, but regardless of that - why is this about F1? a permanent circuit is going to have far more hours spent holding races other than F1. Why should a circuit be designed for F1?
100% agree. For example - Korean Racetrack. Couple of F1 race's and gone from calendar and now is ruined. Billions in mud...Ok, maybe somwhere are countries with money to spend for almost...nothing, but if F1 says always - we need cut the budget, why in other side they need and expect from others a great budget only for F1 track? It's like...Ok I must my money save but if You want to enjoy, buy me a car :D

I'd rather the drivers pick the tracks, actually. Get rid of all this modern garbage.

Then again I'd rather they just stick to tracks in Europe (and maybe a couple in the US). I could live without Bahrain if it means I don't have to sit through another Abu Dhabi abomination.

The right drivers must be used. Area 27 looks good.

The circuit has the unique distinction of being envisioned, designed, engineered, and constructed by professional racecar drivers. Designed to take advantage of the natural terrain, Area 27's sixteen turns flow through elevation changes like a favorite country road. Complex corner sections are followed by long straights to give drivers a chance to relax and check their gauges.

Jacques Villeneuve explains: "I have always relished the challenge of designing an exciting track, taking into account the single lap excitement, combined with wheel-to-wheel racing opportunities, all while avoiding the pitfalls of the uninteresting tracks. The goal is to design a track I would be proud of getting pole position on, where the fans would also enjoy watching an exciting race."

http://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/canada/area-27.html

blog-area-27.jpg

Can someone mod this for Assetto Corsa please? :rolleyes:

Because F1 has all the money and grandeur in international motorsports. It sucks but it's true. And it usually takes Formula 1 discarding a facility from its calendar for the event organizers to realize what a grave mistake they've made.

That's the responsibility of the FIA mostly. Several times they've knobbled other series for encroaching on F1's popularity, if they'd actually bother to properly promote and control several different motorsport disciplines ( how much does endurance racing have in common with F1? that's like saying rugby & football are the same sport because they involve running with a ball ) they could have had multiple F1's financially.

At least they've been trying ( again ) with the WEC recently. I've no doubt they'll let it die again at some point though.

Look at COTA and pretty much any other recent international circuit from the perspective of driving something less agile than a F1 car - they're awful.

I'd rather the drivers pick the tracks, actually. Get rid of all this modern garbage.

Then again I'd rather they just stick to tracks in Europe (and maybe a couple in the US). I could live without Bahrain if it means I don't have to sit through another Abu Dhabi abomination.
Right and...Philip Island in :) So many great tracks are abandoned only because of money :/

All Herman Tilke designed tracks should be destroyed. They are boring and have zero character. I have drawn tracks that are far more interesting and made for good real racing. Tilke has made a fortune off F1 and the host countries budgets. Stinks !

I heard so many times that Tilke designs bad tracks: Sepang is awesome. Austin works quite good too. The big problem is not Tilke, but the FIA standards for F1 tracks.
Nowadays you can't design corners like Eau Rouge-Raidillion. Monaco would not be possible according to today's standards. He is handcuffed by the strict rules.

I heard so many times that Tilke designs bad tracks: Sepang is awesome. Austin works quite good too. The big problem is not Tilke, but the FIA standards for F1 tracks.
Nowadays you can't design corners like Eau Rouge-Raidillion. Monaco would not be possible according to today's standards. He is handcuffed by the strict rules.

The restrictions for permanent tracks aren't too bad, there is no real restriction on the layout, The track needs a minimum width of 12 meters, 8 meter grid slot for each car, and runoff areas in every braking zone. There are also limits on banking, slope and drainage Radillon is not against the rules. There are also rules about how the road widens and narrows, IIRC it's 1 meter width change for ever 10 meters of track. Other than that you can go nuts on the layout.

In city tracks you're limited by the natural topography, you're not going to level buildings or parks to put race track on, you have to use the existing roads, that's why Tilke has 90 degree turns, you need to have run off, and most cities are arranged in grids.

Tilke is fine. Most of the tracks are fine too. What we need, plain and simple is - elevation changes ! And the faster you go trough that section -the better. Simple.
Eau Rouge is of course a perfect example. And the first turn in COTA is a fine example of how they wasted that perfect elevation change with slow corner, in my opinion.

Tilke is fine. Most of the tracks are fine too. What we need, plain and simple is - elevation changes ! And the faster you go trough that section -the better. Simple.
Eau Rouge is of course a perfect example. And the first turn in COTA is a fine example of how they wasted that perfect elevation change with slow corner, in my opinion.

Miami is flatter than a pancake, but those bridges have 120 feet of elevation change.

Speaking of "pancakes"... my probably favorite track is - Portland.
Don't ask.
And I said I really love elevation changes. Go figure.
Sometimes it's all about the chemistry. :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back