Have Your Say: Robert Kubica F1 Dream - Best Left in Past, or Potential Winner?

To buy a reasonable driver into F1 you start to negotiate regularly into the multi-million region and up depending on the team. Talented racers do normally only have to bring lucrative sponsors, outstanding drivers are swarmed with potential multimillion sponsor deals. Talented drivers thus have to compete with good drivers which have a good financial backing. And then you have the politics and likability of drivers and management behind drivers. There it gets complicated if you get to F1 and/or make it in F1.

My educated guess is that Kubica doesn't have to pay to drive. What I learned from interviews with Jan Lammers, Kubica is far from a likable person. But I guess what he does, he does it extremely well and fearless. Considering his condition I doubt Renault will take a chance to have him as a driver for a whole racing season. I think a more suitable role for him would be as a third driver and main testdriver to really help Renault getting forward and making them to be able to make way better progress.

In that regard imho we should praise him for the past, and praise him for his current work but have to be real for the future.

All that said, I still would f#ckin' love it if he would come back as he was my favorite driver at the time and will be again if he returns!

Could he return in Sauber? Renault is now concerned to have Alonso, who is driving in an unreliable car at the moment
I liked Alonso , had a lot of respect ,
but the guys a clown , he left Ferrari for Mclaren , everyones dream is to drive for Ferrari ,
he left because the hopes of a few more points here and there ,
I love Hamilton the guy is class ,
but from sheer principle I hope Vettel wins to rub Alonso,s face it it :D

Leave Ferrari F1 for a Mclaren Honda , the guy wants medicating :O_o:

He is a good driver, but arent they all...

However in Roberts case, i think he raced or tried out a different formula and had a accident...unfortunately it was bad luck, why do you think other f1 drivers dont do this...

No one forced him to do this and this is the result... remember he had his time in F1 there are many young drivers going through the struggle of getting to F1, give them a chance, lets see new talent...

Sorry Robert, you had a go and now its time for others...without the crash you probably still be in F1 with a good seat, sometimes you call that fate or stupidty...

Good luck with what ever you do...

I don't see why he shouldn't come back. He's done tests and proved that he can drive the current cars pretty damn quickly, possibly quicker than many of the other guys that have no disabilities whatsoever.

People comment on his age... he's 32 for God's sake, not 52! Alonso is 36 and still considered one of F1's most talented drivers.

Other's say that young blood should be allowed to take the seat instead. Why? What makes them so deserving of a spot on the grid? Most have bought their seats anyway so it's hardly based on who has the most talent. Also, many have (in my humble opinion) entered the top tier of motor racing far too early in their careers, before they have the experience to deal with it properly. Am I the only one that gets fed up of watching these kids smashing into each other on lap one?

Give the guy a chance. He's got experience/maturity, he's clearly got the talent, and the story of his comeback alone would be good for the sport.

Sure, why not. Let him drive. Maybe he'll do great. Fans love him. Great for the sport. I say, F1 go into the neighborhoods and recruit everyday people for F1 drives. Train them, give them a shot. So tired of these super-privileged stuff-headed snobs always getting the seats. The first thing they do is complain about how the car sucks. Put me in a car. I'll love every second of it and the fans will know it.

Best comment of the year!

I also would love to be F1's first cerebral palsy driver. At least for a race!

I think it'd be great marketing. ☺

Ok, maybe F1 would demand too much fine control. But damn I'd love to race a GT4 car or a Continental Sports Car Series ST car!

Best comment of the year!

I also would love to be F1's first cerebral palsy driver. At least for a race!

I think it'd be great marketing. ☺

Ok, maybe F1 would demand too much fine control. But damn I'd love to race a GT4 car or a Continental Sports Car Series ST car!
its not control man its fitness nothing else .

Robert will do, what Robert wants to do.
The man is not a fool.
The team are not doing him a favour.
Too much money and risk involved for favours.

Robert is testing that car because he is fast in it.
Simple.

If Robert thinks he can win in that car, he will want to drive that car.
If the team thinks Robert can win in that car, then the team will sign Robert.
Simple.

I've said this in a previous thread about the subject and my feelings haven't really changed.

If Renault and Kubica want to work together and they both feel he'd do a good job, then go for it. Even if it was a one year deal I'm certain he would get an amazing reception at every Grand Prix.

The problem I feel is what does Robert want out of the deal? Does he want an F1 drive that will delivery wins? Podiums? Lots of points? I'm afraid to say I think Renault are still a few years away from regular podiums and I just can't see them winning in the hybrid era. Mercedes and Ferrari are just too far ahead.

It's just a feeling I have after the few other tests he did that he has no desire to finish 12th or 14th, he wants to win races. If that's his desire I think his best option is either something like WEC/Sportscar or even the '18 spec Indycar where I'm sure he would be very welcome. Depends on whether he's an oval fan or not.

In reference to the post about F1 cars being easy. Well done on doing a good job and I'm glad for you that you did well. However being in F1 is a lot more than just driving the car. It's politics, it's dealing with nastiness, it's dealing with pressure from the team, pressure from the media, pressure from trying to raise the funds 24/7, a dozen media events every day, and spending most of the week in planes flying from one venue to another. Also don't forget there are only a few F1 drivers that are actually paid, the rest just survive the best they can.

Success is difficult quantify in F1... He's not going to win races with Renault at the moment but if he comes in and performs at the standard of his team mate then I would consider that a massive success.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back