Have Your Say: Robert Kubica F1 Dream - Best Left in Past, or Potential Winner?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea1.jpg

Robert Kubica made an emotional return to F1 duty in Hungary on Wednesday, however is the test a serious indication of a return, or should the Polish driver leave the sport with his star still bright?

At 32 years of age and having been out of competitive action coming up to 7 years ahead of the new season, is Kubica just that little bit too old and far removed from the world of Formula One, or can the Polish master rekindle some of that famous magic last seen on the F1 racetrack in 2010?

The test in Hungary came off the back of two comprehensive runs in older Formula One machinery earlier in the year, and if nothing else the driver has gone a long way towards proving his fitness and dexterity of arm and hand movement ahead of any potential race return next season.

Ending up in position four after the final day of testing on Wednesday, the Kubica of old doesn't look as far away as some might of imagined following his horrific rally accident in 2011.

With plenty of seat time now behind him, the question for this weekend is:

Is Kubica right to try and return to Formula One, or should the driver put his top level single seater career to rest rather than risk a potentially embarrassing return to the sport?

Many of us would love to see the Pole back in Formula One action again soon, however if one thinks more with the mind that the heart, can the driver pick up where he left off in 2010, or is the challenge ahead of Kubica just too big of an ask?

Happy debating and have fun people!

Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 4.jpg
Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 5.jpg
Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 10.jpg

Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 2.jpg Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 3.jpgHave Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 6.jpg Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 7.jpg Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 8.jpg Have Your Say - Robert Kubica Return Good or Bad Idea 9.jpg

I don't think Renault should do it. He would give them huge marketing potential, but the fact that he hasn't raced anything other than a Renault Sport Trophy car in the last few years tells me that he'd probably no do very well. I think he should go off to Nissan's GT3 program or something because he'd probably be successful their.

Robert seems to have 'unfinished' business.
He'd probably never be happy, not knowing what could have been... unless he retires after giving it a proper shot.
He's still fairly young and plenty fast, so why not give it a try. He clearly still enjoys driving the car.
Having never as much as touch the car, he comes back...after six years away... and matched the current drivers in his first try.
That says a whole lot.
He certainly can drive the car....competitively.
It will just improve with practice as he becomes more familiar with managing the Hybrid system.

Last edited:
I do not find the title very classy to be honest.
I am happy what is coming along with his recovery and his possible reentering in a sport that is damaged among others by a lack of good characters in the grid.

Kubica always has been a special person who was very missed after his accident.
He is good for the sport even if it only diverts media attention from the current crop of princess snowflake drivers to "men with balls in race suits going fast", you know like the sport used to be not too long ago ;-)

Impossible to answer. There are so much joy in the story, and it would be awesome to see.

At the same time, there are many young drivers who are struggling to get in to F1 today due to money, lack of space etc. That employing a 32yo that will be a somewhat unknown quantity in a race situation, who haven't been in F1 since 2010 feels somewhat "wrong". It also renders the Renault jr programme obsolete for some years, which I honestly don't think Renault wants, they have already lost Ocon due to not being decisive enough with young drivers. They cannot afford to lose another one.

With that being said. I would actually like to see di Resta in Williams for 2018... and many of the same arguments can be made there (with the exception of $troll dictating a bit and Martini demanding someone over 25...)

Sure, why not. Let him drive. Maybe he'll do great. Fans love him. Great for the sport. I say, F1 go into the neighborhoods and recruit everyday people for F1 drives. Train them, give them a shot. So tired of these super-privileged stuff-headed snobs always getting the seats. The first thing they do is complain about how the car sucks. Put me in a car. I'll love every second of it and the fans will know it.

He should stay in an advisory or testing role with Renault or any team. He was a great talent and headed to being a champion. But he is also one who is drawn to bad karma. I don't know how the boy is alive really.

I understand that they had to modify the shifting for him which not sure if that would be a rules violation anyways. Plus has anyone noticed the size difference between his good and bad arm? Not a good idea to be racing 70 laps with 1 arm/hand. Wish him the best though. Check out link below to watch Kubica & Massa. 2 drivers with the biggest balls on the planet.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...f411216eb6a016c200fcd2e171c1b768&action=click

I see no problem with him coming back in deference to most other drivers out there trying to find a place. If he is quick enough and his arm is not a problem in either driving or getting out of the car in emergency then that's the only consideration as far as I am concerned. I'm sure Renault would not bring him in if he was not able to do the job required, they are a team that are looking to climb the ladder to the top and would not bring anyone in that could not help them get there.

Good luck to him a far as i'm concerned.

I see no problem with him coming back in deference to most other drivers out there trying to find a place. If he is quick enough and his arm is not a problem in either driving or getting out of the car in emergency then that's the only consideration as far as I am concerned. I'm sure Renault would not bring him in if he was not able to do the job required, they are a team that are looking to climb the ladder to the top and would not bring anyone in that could not help them get there.

Good luck to him a far as i'm concerned.
Give the guy a chance , what the worst that could happen ?
replace him after 5 races lol thats it , let the guy fly :D

Firstly, i am absolutely over the moon for Robert as i've always admired his enthusiasm coupled with his desire to return to the sport...i say give him the credit and chance he deserves!

Secondly, in regards to Formula One as a whole, and the drivers within, i have always been baffled by people within or associated with F1 when they say they "are the best drivers in the world!" - This clearly isn't the case...they haven't tested the whole male/female populations of the world have they! lol

Let me put it like this...

I had the opportunity to experience the single seaters at Silverstone (before the rules got heavy!); And with this came a surprise to me especially when we all returned to the 'pits' and had a debrief and presentations...
Just after the presentations were finished, i was approached by a woman (can't recall her name) but she was a LeMans winner/Driver.
Anyway, she asked me how i managed to lap the track in such a quick time(quickest for quite some time btw)!

I was absolutely amazed as you can imagine and she asked if i'd done any racing prior to the event, to which i replied 'None at all'...she couldn't believe it she said. After a brief conversation, her final comment was "You should've started racing m8!"

Now, this isn't no fantasy as i have the documents to prove it with photos of the day...and with the lady driver.

My point being, it just frustrates me when i hear the praise and amazement being spewed out from the presenters mouths during every F1 weekend about certain drivers' actions!
So in essence...NO, THEY AREN'T THE BEST DRIVER'S IN THE WORLD PERIOD!!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back