Have Your Say: Are Graphics Important?

Like my great old grandpappy used to tell me ,
Graphics are just as important as breakfast ,
Physics are just as important as dinner ,
And finally Audio is just as important as tea! ;)

Graphics 5-5 playability = 10

Important do not forget to use Reshade or SweetFX :laugh:

Gráficos 5-5 Jugabilidad = 10

Importante no olvidarse de usar Reshade o SweetFX :laugh:

Graphics only seem important when a sim looks bad enough to break immersion. Otherwise, if it can look as good as iRacing or Raceroom, it's good enough. If development resources are taken away from physics and force feedback to give us better visuals, the sim will fail. But in 2017 there are no excuses to look like rFactor2. And don't give me the DX11 response it still looks like crap, just will lower fps. :p

Graphics only seem important when a sim looks bad enough to break immersion. Otherwise, if it can look as good as iRacing or Raceroom, it's good enough. If development resources are taken away from physics and force feedback to give us better visuals, the sim will fail. But in 2017 there are no excuses to look like rFactor2. And don't give me the DX11 response it still looks like crap, just will lower fps. :p

It's true, rf2 still has far inferior graphics than the others, however, at least for me, the dynamic lighting is quite appealing, something that Assetto Corsa for instance doesn't have, and I think it helps a lot with the immersion. But on the other hand, what I really hate about rF2 graphics is that it's nearly impossible to get consistent fps accross all car-tracks combinations, unless you set all options down to the minimum... when you are happy with a configuration that gives you consistent fps and good quality, then you try another car or track and fps go haywire... :mad:

What's funny here is that almost EVERYONE says graphics are OK, but its the underlying physics that are important. I'd love to see the women on the posters in these guys' rooms... ;)

Yep for me graphics and physics are on the same level.....what's beautiful graphics without gameplay and physics but what if you have the best physics but damn ugly graphics ....hmm wont do it either ... so for me BOTH !!

... then you try another car or track and fps go haywire... :mad:

Exactly. rFactor2 looks like a game that should run @200fps, but rarely reaches 90 on any given track with about 15 AI cars, and occasionally dips below 50. And in some spots it actually looks ok, while in others looks 15 years old. The car selection is my biggest disappointment with rF2. There's no consistency in quality with car models either, and in some the FFB is crap too, so consistency is a problem in every aspect of rF2, not just graphics

Project Cars: 230 hrs. Rf2: 24 hours. (AND MOST OF THAT IS LOADING TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

On my latest PC build, I simply did not install rFactor despite how much I used to enjoy it. I even stopped racing with my favorite league b/c they went BACK to rF. There was simply no way for me to go back to rF after playing PCars back to back. And it was work, but I got the FFB to be in the ballpark of my other sims on most cars.

rF2 is still a crap show for me. Loading times are so long, it is unacceptable. No other game comes close. Then I get dropped into a car with dark lighting, poor interiors and muddy track textures. Straight out of rF1 stuff. At least the car look good in exterior cameras, but they are driving on awful looking tracks. That being said, we are very lucky to have so many good choices.

In another example, I think Dirt Rally looks better than Dirt 4, but I play Dirt 4 because there's some novel gameplay there. I actually maybe played too much Dirt Rally....

Let me put it like this, if GTR-2 or GTR-EVO had better physics than PC2 or AC; I'd go with GTR.

The graphics on GTR2 with everything maxed out are equal to AC with some things dialed back for speed on my ageing PC, I love the way the wheel works on GTR2, in AC it feels slightly detached as does the cars handling IMHO. If I had to choose out of the two games it's GTR2, so physics beat graphics.

We just raced at Singapore in the F1 2017 league here. Boy, that track is beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that I watched from the T.V. The physics didn't prevent a bug from exploding my tire when I hit a wall at 5mph. So, I say...neither. :laugh:

Graphics are only minor thing for me as long they don't look too bad.

But I'd rather stick with physics 90% of the time no matter what because all what matters in sim-racing is the driving experience and race experience. That's why I tend to stick with rFactor 2 most of the time and barely touch my copy of Assetto Corsa.

rFactor 2 has the handling and physics I've never witnessed before. Coming back to AC feels lackluster.

Between running a game at 144 FPS with lower settings and running it at 100 or, heaven forbid, 60 with higher settings, the former will always come out on top.

Not for me. If we say AMS have a decent graphics, that's enough for me. Anything better are welcome. But if it is about to choose, sound and other options are more important for me to improve

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.