Have Your Say: Are Graphics Important?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say - Are Graphics Important.jpg

Sim racers often say the thrill of virtual racing is in the on track experience, but how much importance should be placed on graphics in modern racing games?

Often we find a racing title has either one or the other - great graphics and poor physics, or less than ideal visuals and a sublime experience behind the wheel. Now that we are in 2017 and technology ever improves in game development, exactly how much importance should be placed on the visual experience of a racing title, and does lesser quality graphical presentation of a game break immersion when in the throws of a racing situation?

So for today the question is this -

How much importance should be placed on graphics in a racing simulation, and do below par visuals have a negative impact on the gaming experience?

Have fun debating and leave a comment below!

Given two games with the same physics but one with amazing graphics and the other with so so I'd pick the first.

Good graphics are definitely helping the immersion, however devs should still put main effort on the physics, especially in simracing titles. Devs should stop thinking that they can cover poor handling with amazing visuals. I assume this won't matter for many, but we're talking about graphics in simracing titles that are about - yes, clue's in the name - simulation.

Graphics are still integral part of that simulation of the real world too, so it's still a vital element, however, this is a secondary thing for me and as long as it's 'good enough' it's fine.

In ideal world I'd like to see all sim titles with graphics matching physics realism and accuracy :)

Last edited:
In modern day titles is there any reason to have poor quality graphics. I can run pCars and Asseto Corsa on max settings on a 1050ti and a i7 960 ( stock ) and they look great. I am upgrading soon as there was another delay on the refund for my gaming laptop that had issues.

Of course it's important, but it doesn't have to be photorealistic to be good. Although for sims in particular it's nice if certain aspects of reality look like reality. But between the two, I'd rather my cpu be running high-end physics than high-end graphics, and the best sims do seem to have to make a choice between those.

Plus there's the whole "good enough at 50 feet" deal. high res textures and tiny details matter on screenshots... but they really don't affect the driving experience. It's more the overall impression that counts then.

We already have solid physics across many current titles at this point, so yes some good visuals on top of that going forward wouldn't exactly reduce their simulation value. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since racing games are primarily about racing, therefore driving, and the physics department in my opinion make the 80% of the game. Good graphics are a residual value which I welcome no doubt with arms open, but if they're not good it's fine by me. When asked what is realism, most people say graphics, and developers give people what they want: Most racing games out there have breathtaking graphics, but they still have the physics engine of Mario Kart! They forget that racing games are about driving! Otherwise they should call it "Viewing Simulators"!

• Deleted member 6919

Hell yeh, but it doesn't necessary mean over the top bling..

Yes, but good graphics do not make a game. Take Project Cars. The graphics are really stunning, but the physics are terrible. That makes Project Cars a game I really did not enjoy.
Assetto Corsa on the other hand has okay-ish graphics, but a fantastic physics modell.

For me: When the physics are on point, the graphics are allowed to be not so good. That does not mean, that the game can look like an early 2000 game.

Also there is a difference between "eye candy", "photorealistic" and "eye realistic" graphics. Every kind has its users. My dream would be a modular simworld. You take the physics engine from them and the graphics engine from this people and then some tracks from this pack.... I think more people could be happy.

Also there is a difference between "eye candy", "photorealistic" and "eye realistic" graphics. Every kind has its users. My dream would be a modular simworld. You take the physics engine from them and the graphics engine from this people and then some tracks from this pack.... I think more people could be happy.

Although I did just say that graphics are not important, I do hugely appreciate the work you put into the Good and Bad weathers mod :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back