GTR2: Why are Modern Sims Still Not as Good?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GTR2 - 2.jpg

GTR2 is 11 years old, features a series that no longer exists and was developed for technology less advanced than a modern smart phone. Unbelievably it's still one of the best sims available today.

What I want to know is why? Why in the last 10 + years have some of the many awesome features found in this now long forgotten game not made their way into something more modern? Ok granted many different games feature some of the bits in GTR2, but no single title has taken what was already an incredible base and expanded upon it with the aid of much advanced technology we now have at our disposal.

Driving School? Check
Fully animated pit workers? Check
Animated flag marshals? Check
Day - night transition? Check
Weather cycle? Check
Full official series licence, over two separate seasons? Check
...and the list goes on and on...

Simply put GTR2 was massively overdeveloped, period. SimBin Studios quite literally took every single aspect of the then premier GT racing series in the world and recreated it all into a compelling racing experience that still stands out as a top simulation even by the standards of today, 11 years after the game hit our shelves.

I just find it all incredibility bizarre. In very few industries outside of sim racing will you see a decline in product quality and content as the years progress like we have to put up with today. When GTR2 first shipped in September 2006 the game was a complete package, not splattered with ridiculous bugs that prevented anyone having a good time, not bombarded by wave after wave of disparate DLC content with little or no relevance to the main experience and not hanging on by the merest thread for dear life as another iteration of something that's been released by someone else already. It really was a golden time for sim racing fans, and those who witnessed it all first hand really did think this would be the beginning of something big in sim racing.

Fast forward to 2017 and sadly the progress expected post GTR2 has quite simply not materialised. The game, the official simulation of the FIA GT World Championship, was probably the very last fully feature complete racing simulation we have seen in our niche genre. We've had loads of new games since then, some of which have even been released by the same people responsible for GTR and GTR2, but none have even come close to matching the level of features and polish afforded fans back in 2006. It's down right strange.

GTR2.jpg

Take RaceRoom Racing Experience for example, developed as the next GT game from the people behind GTR and GTR2, when the title first hit public beta stage back in February 2013 what did we have? Basically a hotlapping simulation with limited content, no official series licence, no AI to race against and precisely zero multiplayer features. Added to the still missing animated flag marshals and a range of other GTR2 items that haven't made the move over with time, it's all rather a depressing scene in which to take in.

Ok I appreciate Sector3 have worked exceptionally hard at improving RaceRoom to get to a level where it is barely recognisable now to what it looked like on launch day, but still to even consider releasing a game that was basically stripped of everything that made GTR2 great is simply mind boggling.

And it's not just RaceRoom that are guilty of missing out some key features considered par for the course 11 years ago, everyone is doing it! You only have to look at one of the most popular sims on the market Assetto Corsa as a perfect example, they consider themselves to be perfectionists on a mission to produce the most true to life experience possible, and they even miss out the core basics like weather and day to night transition, never mind such "nice to have" features like a driving school, proper flag implementation and multiclass racing options. It's simply amazing to realise that these features quite simply only exist in a game that was designed and released over a decade ago. Unbelievable.

GTR2 still looks pretty good on top graphics settings, still feels very nice indeed with my trusty CSW V2 and still sounds like it belongs in the very top tier of audio experience. All that whilst replicating a seriously mega international championship in a exceptionally detailed simulation that really does pick out all the little features that makes driving on a virtual track feel like the real thing. With that said and the pretty compelling physics considering the age of the title added up with stuff that no other sim has all together in one package, this is why I still believe GTR2 is, without reservation, the very best simulation racing experience one can purchase during 2017.

I love the game, it's just a bit sad that no one has thought to try and make something similar in the following 132 months since it was released.

GTR was released by SimBin Studios exclusively for PC. The game is still available to purchase on Steam for £4.99.

GTR 2 - 3.jpg
GTR2 - 4.jpg
GTR2 - 5.jpg

Like GTR2? Well lucky you, we are seriously considering a brand new informal league! Check out the GTR2 sub forum for general GTR2 discussion or our new GTR2 RDGT Championship forum for more details of the new league season. To prepare for the league all we ask is you have Premium membership, a fresh GTR2 install and these two additional patches HERE and HERE. Get ready for a return of the legend....

Do you still enjoy GTR2? What did the sim do right in your opinion? Why do features present in GTR2 still not appear in moderns sims? Let us know in the comments section below!

I have to say, GTR2 is actually one of the finest simulators I have come across. Not only is the driving school really fun and informative, but even doing a championship is nice. My only issues with the game are those brought about due to some issues with Steam; mainly with the playtime count and getting the Steam overlay to work. But despite those issues, I have never felt bored of doing a long race on GTR2. You can also get telemetric data readouts from MoTeC's i2 pro data logger which is something that has only come recently to Assetto Corsa Competizione. So, I think the reason no modern sim can match GTR2 is that the latter is a complete package of fun, realism and immersion without having too many things changed to improve an already superb experience.

You can make it even better, (if you haven't already) by grabbing the HQ Anniversary Patch from our downloads section.
I have. And also the 2000-2009 mod from the EEC forums. And the game has reached a new level of excellence. I also forgot to mention my gripe with the AI. I finished P21 in the first round of the 2003 championship driving an N-GT Ferrari 360; from a grid position of P37. So, I have been searching the forums as well as the download section for a good AI patch or editor. What would you guys recommend?

fia gt 2000-2009 MOD by maxellero has got its own AI, so AI tweaks from hq anniversary patch will not work in this mod, neither in all others mods (super touring, etc...).
Indeed, AI tweaks in hq anniversary patch work at 50% for base game, and at 100% for hq 2003-2005 content only.
I could add 2006-2012 seasons in hq in theory but RD TOS forbid NFS SHIFT, AC and Forza RIP contrary to EEC, so hq 2005 fia gt is the only extra season you will get from me.

Last edited:
the problem with gtr2 is that AI settings are located/spread in many files and not only 1, that's why AI quality is mostly dependant from each modder/mod as taste is different. By example I set my AI to not run into my back but Furinkazen has set the exact contrary in super touring mod.
Many explanations of AI in gtr2 has been made by von dutch at old nogrip forum, jgf has posted pdf archives from nogrip here :

the problem with gtr2 is that AI settings are located/spread in many files and not only 1, that's why AI quality is mostly dependant from each modder/mod as taste is different. By example I set my AI to not run into my back but Furinkazen has set the exact contrary in super touring mod.
Many explanations of AI in gtr2 has been made by von dutch at old nogrip forum, jgf has posted pdf archives from nogrip here :
Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out.

My current AI settings in-game are 95% strength and clean aggression. If I can make any changes to my .PLR file for better performance, what should I change?
I found this post by Shovas very helpful. I first try to find a value for AI to not brake unrealistically too late by adjusting brake grip. And then, I increase cornering value to make them fast enough. That's the simplest way I found to tune them up for my needs.

Biggest issue I get with a lot of mods they tend to run into my back, adjusting brake grip helps, but not always. Need to re-check VonDutch's guide.

Hi guys. I have also found another problem with GTR2's AI. I don't know if it's due to any of the mods installed but it's pretty annoying; especially during a long race and you want to swap with your AI teammate. So, when I entered the pits during a test session at Magny-Cours and did a swap in the pits and not via autopilot, the AI turns away from the fast part of the pit lane and rams into one of the walls of the pit building. It stays there for a while and then proceeds to reverse and then merge into the fast part of the pit lane. It's quite annoying especially at Spa where the AI can essentially break off the car's front splitter. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

So, I'm about to change my tune temporarily. I tried to reinstall GTR2 so that I could try out the HQ mod collection. And now, the game doesn't even start. I have the 1.1 patch installed; as well as the No-cd patch. And when I click the play button on Steam, the 'sudo' application that Steam uses to run the game starts up; and then nothing. Could someone please help me out with this?

First verify the game in steam or even delete all and redownload.
Then copy the Gtr2 folder from steam to any other location.
Gtr2 do not need Steam and applying the NoCd gtr2 to the steam install makes no sense.
Just use the Steam install as you back up.

I think by now there are no real reason to use the NoCD version anymore as the steam version of version Gtr2 got so many advantages by now.
Like VR, Crew chief and enhanced rules and some bug fixes with Crewchief.dll.
See the Gtr2 forum part of RD for how to do that.
If you have issues with hex edit to get the porches and Ferrari's in game send me a PM.
But otherwise read the instructions to the HQ/ anniversary patch careful and all files and info are in that mod.

If you just want the plain old Gtr2 still do the folder copy to somewhere else and apply the NoCD Gtr2.exe and the net.dll to that new folder install.
But you will be missing out on a lot of features!

If you follow exactly step by step from the very start of the GTR2 install the How To install included in the download of the HQ Anniversary Patch by @GTR233 .... everything will work perfectly.
My installs are perfectly working ... without hex editing and external NOCD and I have all cars visible.

I have other older installs with the old way of GTR2 install and improvements but the Steam version truly offers the same but with more recent improvements making it still much better than it was.

Keep just the original Steam GTR2 in Steam ... but in order to use and mod GTR2 ....make a copy outside Steam and everything will be better.

A little bit of context: I deleted my original install, because I wanted to try out the HQ mod collection, and it didn't work. So I re-downloaded the game. I tried using the European v1.1 patch, the subsequent No-CD patch to get the Porsches and Ferraris, and then tried to install the HQ anniversary patch to bring the game up to par with my old install. I also tried tweaking the 'sudo' .exe to help with my playcount. I do all that, and I can't access the Porsches and Ferraris. I try using HxD to restore them that way, but the hex code looks horribly bunged and I can't find the offset containing the hex codes for the missing cars. I also followed the HQ anniversary patch install guide to the letter. So, I'm really confused about the problem.

Most of what was in the HQ Mod Collection is since a few months included in the HQ Anniversary Patch except mostly the HQ Skies.

So rather download the HQ Anniversary Patch and follow its GTR2 install instructions.... from the very start... this means immediately after downloading the pure unchanged Steam Version.

You'll see that you don't need to install the 1.1 patch and same for the No-CD patch beforehand ( as you say you did )..... all this in included in the Anniversary Patch ... and may be installed with the GTR2_SETUP.CMD included in this Anniversary Patch.

I know it may seem strange to install it that way following a "Install Readme" for someone who is used to use the install older ways .... but that works perfectly.

EDIT:
By the way ... create different installs with GTR2 Steam version is also possible at the condition they are used outside Steam and in separate folders.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd keep only the unmodded version in Steam so there's no risk to spoil this version you just modded by an eventual Steam update.

As mentioned somewhere in the readme ... it should have been better to make a copy of this Steam version and install it somewhere else on PC in another folder .... but anyway it will also work in Steam. ;)

If you followed the instructions of the readme and the install of the HQ Anniversary Patch ... the 4GB Patch should already be installed.
Always better to use a Process Manager to use more cores ... but momentarily I think it may also work without.

GTR2 is 11 years old, features a series that no longer exists and was developed for technology less advanced than a modern smart phone. Unbelievably it's still one of the best sims available today.

I love this game, I have Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, which I like to play especially AC, but for sheer fun this is my go to racing game. My DFGT wheel works a treat on it and I have all sorts of mods that if I had to start over I doubt I could get it back to where it is, I even modded the HUD so it looks much better.

I bought a new Thrustmaster T150 Pro on super special so I could use it with my PS4. I tried it today with GTR2 on my PC, after a few adjustments and a bit of fiddling it works fine, makes my old DFGT wheel seem like a toy now. I have other racing games but always seem to come back to this for sheer fun.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea