Having always driven F1 sims, I remember when I got GTR2. I never thought I would love driving tin tops, but SimBin changed that for me. I hope that this becomes a reality so everyone that wasn't able to drive GTR2 can experience what we did back in the day. It will be a tall order to fill since we have AC and Race Room to compare it too, but here's to a bright sim future.

Not really sure how GTR3 would stand out against something like ACC (& SRO partnership) ....
more tracks?
Or a new Official ADAC GT masters?

Your thoughts?
GT Open, ADAC, SGT, IMSA, Australian GT, VLN. These use GT3 and are not under SRO, if they want to compete they'll have to spend a lot more, on the good side it would end up being a better game than ACC as it would have way more tracks (and cars if they get more stuff from IMSA, SGT and VLN) right out of the box

Honestly? The whole thing is merely annoying to me at this point.
I was one of those eagerly waiting for GTR3 back when it was a website with an engine sound. Then Sector3 announced they would go for RRRE, instead of a complete series-based title with all content included and offline play.

Years later, there's a new Simbin who again only manages to put out cryptic screens or hints instead of something tangible. Wheres ACC stepped out of the shadows with a huge bang and plenty of proof that there's a serious game coming, based on a licensed real world competition no less.

If the new Simbin wants my positive attention they better show something meaty and encompassing, with full mod support - which might be the only thing they could beat ACC on.

Having never played GTR2 but hearing so many great things about it

Honestly, as someone who wasn't interested in circuit racing much back then and only got to check GTR2 recently based on all that praise - I'd say a lot of people are viewing the game through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia. I'm not saying it's a bad game, absolutely not, but it's also not as incredible and flawless as many would have you believe, at least not from current point of view. It hasn't aged very well IMO.

Really looking forward to this. I still enjoy plenty GTR2 (in part because my PC is soooooo poor, and in part because of the GT/Gr. A mods).
Just curious which kind of cars will it have, I mean, if it is a certain series, which looks highly unlikely, since R3E and ACC got almost every major touring car series now a days, or if it's gonna be a Project CARS kind of game, with cars spanning different categories.

When Kunos was negotiating for ACC deal with SRO, they mentioned they weren't only players in the table. They didn't mention who was trying to secure the Blancpain license too, but someone did. Possibly SimBin?

Kind of hope there would be something else cooking than GT3. ACC will have enough of that.

fA1bWDv.jpg
Should have done the Multipla, winner of the ugly car contest :p

I'm trying to find a car that has the rear wing with connectors that go over the top of the wing. The Lamborghini Huracan GT3 car seems to.

Or a McLaren Senna, for something different, but that has a much more messy rear wing.

Honestly, as someone who wasn't interested in circuit racing much back then and only got to check GTR2 recently based on all that praise - I'd say a lot of people are viewing the game through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia. I'm not saying it's a bad game, absolutely not, but it's also not as incredible and flawless as many would have you believe, at least not from current point of view. It hasn't aged very well IMO.

That's why I haven't bothered buying it. I know its age and old tech will be evident now when compared to current sims, but heard that back then it had features no other sim had and was a very complete sim for the time, so if Simbin can continue that path but with current technology, it could be a pleasant surprise

I'd say a lot of people are viewing the game through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia. I'm not saying it's a bad game, absolutely not, but it's also not as incredible and flawless as many would have you believe, at least not from current point of view. It hasn't aged very well IMO.
Nah Martin, it's was tops in it's day. You're right, compared to today's games it pales in comparison. BTW my rose colored glasses are so old that they are simply clear readers these days:(:D

I think you miss the point seeing it that way. GTR2 was kind of "ahead of its time" just like GP4 also did back then, they are seen the way people do now because probably everyone was expecting sims to evolve more when they played these games more than a decade ago.

Too little too late IMO. I doubt they beat ACC to the punch and when released, they have even said it won't entirely be a sim:

"The plan will be at some point to branch off" said Allan. "It will be proper simulation but for the console version the casual user is just as important. At some point RaceRoom will switch over to the technology we are creating and we'll just take that a different route, as in simulation with support for both console and PC."

Maybe it will do well on console, but I just don't see it doing well on the PC at all. Why would I buy it if I already have R3E and your're telling me it will get all the good bits and be the more "sim-ish" title? Had they beaten Kunos to it, it probably would be a hit. Now though... not so sure.

I was part of the GTR2 development team and I'm afraid none of them are working on GTR3. What impressed me originally when GTR3 was anounced was that the new Simbin seemed to appreciate what the GTR franchise was about, while everyone else seemed to be going for the generic multi-purpose racing sim.

However, following that initial GTR3 announcement, Kunos announced ACC. They too appreciate what GTR/GTR2 was all about, and they have the background experience which the new Simbin seem to be lacking. And they have the license for what is IMO the best current GT series. With the Unreal engine as well its hard to see how a new Simbin team could produce a better product.

So it seems to me Kunos have pulled the rug out from under GTR3. I am of course still very curious about what the new Simbin will do. Will they also license Blancpain or another series? I think if I was them I'd abandon GTR3 and go for GT Legends 2 but the car under that sheet looks modern to me.

A GTR3 would be a success anyway. We are waiting the game since ever.
If in the end Simbin will release the game and this will have full modding support on pc, it will be a success.

Being an absolute GTR2 fanboy, I would still not trust GTR3 to be worthy of my euros. Not after all these years, not without any proof it even exists aside of rendering shots that could just be photoshopped things.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 29 14.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • Friday

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 116 56.0%