GTC-TC-76 BMW2002tii @ Kyalami / Oesterreichring - Thu 16th May 2013

flyergtc76.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: GTC76 BMW2002tii ( Download )
Track: Kyalami 70 (Download) / Oesterreichring 70 (Download)

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 ( 14 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 ( 14 laps )

Note 1: Race 1 we will use theKyalami 70 circuit
Race 2 we will use the Oesterreichring 70 circuit
Note 2: We are using the BMW2002tii model that is car
#5,#31,#51,# 58,#72,#77,#91,#105,#112,#202,#203,#207
Note 3: only the skins that come with the mod please, and lets try and use all the liveries for a colourful grid.
Note 4: Unpack the mod into your main GT Legends folder
Note 5: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 6: We run a superpole qually, you get one chance only at a outlap and qually lap. Take it easy on your outlap and get you car in a good position to run you qually lap, leave enough room to allow for the unexpected from the car infront
you don't get another go if you have to take avoiding action..
Note 6: Racing Room must be given to all driversand this works both ways.Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly. AndThe kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times..

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Rupe Wilson #105
  2. Paul Bennett #72
  3. Senad Subasic #51
  4. Antonio Tavares
  5. Sakis Politis #91
  6. Knut Omdal Tveito #58
  7. Antonio Tavares #31
  8. Steven Walkerr
  9. Hans Sneep #112
  10. Brian Harlow
  11. Alex Prescott
  12. Marcin Piatkiewicz #5
  13. Brian Wallace
  14. Eck Simpson
  15. Roland Warmenhoven ?
  16. Rene van Zijp
  17. Ross McGregor
  18. Hiroshi Awazu
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
Rules:

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

We have used these track before in previous events. then we brought them together and never looked back.
Certain track car combos just work so well its finding them, luckily for me Stuart and Knut did such a great job previously. All i can say is its made my job a lot easier as i have a great archive to look through and test and compare with..
But you just know form about the 3rd lap of testing if its good...
You get that tingly feeling down below:rolleyes::whistling:

We have used these track before in previous events. then we brought them together and never looked back.
Certain track car combos just work so well its finding them, luckily for me Stuart and Knut did such a great job previously. All i can say is its made my job a lot easier as i have a great archive to look through and test and compare with..
But you just know form about the 3rd lap of testing if its good...
You get that tingly feeling down below:rolleyes::whistling:

Rupe Wilson, like James May that fizzy feeling ? :D

A night at the track.

Tonight I made the first contact with the BMW at Kyalami. I know this track quite well, although in the ABB version, which is quite similar; but not the BMW. Besides the initial difficulties in figuring out the car behavior, I was confronted with another one: there are 3 different tires to choose from! After some laps to adjust the car, my strategy was this: I tryed each set of tires one at a time, doing some laps with each one to adjust tire pressures and taking notes of pressures, temperatures and lap times. The results (unpolished) were as follows:

The laps times were quite similar with all tires, but there are differences in the handling characteristics of the car. Overall, my best time was achieved with the Dunlop Historic, the second best with the Dunlop (+ 0,3 secs) and the Goodyears gave me the slowest time (+ 0,6 roughly), but were also the ones I tested less.
My general impression is that the the Goodyear are the tires with more grip, but they are also the most difficult to drive because their behavior is more abrupt. When grip is lost, it's difficult to control the car.(a)

The Dunlop and the Dunlop Historic are more alike, but perhaps the easiest to drive, because it's more predictable and less abrupt, is the Historic. As I mentioned, my best time was with the Dunlop Historic, perhaps due to the fact that they need significantly more pressure to operate under correct temperatures than the Dunlop/Goodyear and Kyalami is a high speed track where more pressure helps the car going faster on straights. Both the Dunlop and the Goodyears require significantly less pressure. But perhaps with more practice I would have been able to take advantage of the extra grip of the Dunlop or the Goodyears?

Looking at the tire file, we find these values:

Dunlop Historic
FRONT
DryLatLong=(1.485, 1.490) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in dry weather
REAR
DryLatLong=(1.495, 1.500)

Goodyear
FRONT
DryLatLong=(1.515, 1.521) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in dry weather
REAR
DryLatLong=(1.527, 1.530)

Dunlop
FRONT
DryLatLong=(1.510, 1.516) // Lateral/longitudinal coefficients in dry weather
REAR
DryLatLong=(1.527, 1.530)

I'm no expert, but I think these values refer to the coefficient of friction of the tires, and the higher the more grip they have.

And these are roughly the pressure/temperature values (on the left side) I had after finishing 2 laps, taken right after crossing the start-finish line:

Dunlop Historic:
FRONT LEFT 72-72-74 ºC @172 kPa (146 cold)
REAR LEFT 80-80-82 ºC @175 kPa (146 cold)

Goodyear
FRONT LEFT 68-70-70 ºC / @148 kPa (122 cold)
REAR LEFT 77-80-80 ºC @ 154 kPa (124 cold)

Dunlop
FRONT LEFT 75-75-77 ªC / @146 kPa (124 cold)
REAR LEFT 83-84-86 ºC @151 kPa (126 cold)

Looking at these results, maybe the Goodyears, given the fact that tire pressure is similar to the Dunlop, need more laps to go into the optimal temperature ranges? (a) Next time I'll try to find out...

About the car setup, default is not bad and I didn't make major changes, except for tire pressure depending on tire model. Basically increased differential values to 40/40, because with default settings (25/25 I believe) there was too much wheel spin under acceleration and a little more coast made the car more stable under braking and at turn-in; added more caster and camber 8especially at front) and stretched the gearbox to the longer ratio.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back