AC GT3 @ Zandvoort - Sunday 4th September 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
At first I thought you hit casper but in the back of my head, I think I knew it might have been my fault since I had seen your rear going up and not simply a spin.
Ah nope he didn't, though you probably did a bit later but I doubt you ever knew. With about 20 minutes to go, just past turn 13(Where you do a 180 and go for the two fast right handers that end up in the start-finish straight) I got plinked into the wall at high speed(my aero was quite damaged) by a car that hit me tangentially at high speed). I suspect it was the server warping your car straight through the barriers and me due to an internet hickup.

Though I was obviously quite confused what happened!

That's life, had a fun race and spend the first 20 minutes defending against Paul which drained me quite a bit, I ended up making a few mistakes in quick succession that gave him sufficient time to drive away from me! Eventually i started closing in again until the accident mentioned above.

I've been having some freezes of my own, but luckily they didn't show up today.
That's nice to read! Too early to open the champagne, but hopefully it's sorted! Did you do any more research that might be interesting for us or did you just swap some USB slots?
At the start of this week I wasn't a huge fan of this circuit, but after the mx5 race on wednesday, then this one today, I'm updating my rating :)
Haha yeah Zandvoort isn't about overtaking, it's about not-overtaking but almost-crashing in every second corner for half of the race, lol.
If you got a matching opponent in front or behind, or even both!
It can be a lot of fun!
It really is a very difficult circuit to overtake when the car you are trying to pass knows the over taking spots and doesn't touch any grass or spin. I felt like the ferrari was the gt-r :)
Indeed.. If the car in front is a tough opponent, you really have to be creative about overtakes.
I then try to find out where I could put my nose in or get side by side around the outside to have the inside for the turn after that one.
And then it's all about preparing it. Analyzing the difference of the cars and making a plan.

With gt3s you get the issue of dirty air on top so it becomes almost impossible!

But I tend to find a way by keeping some distance to then get a higher speed advantage a few moments later, faking to go either for the inside or outside and then making a very close dodge and swap lanes.

It's dangerous though.. If you get some ping issues or the car in front doesn't behave exactly like planned, you simply crash or lose control over your own car :D
I'll try to get the replay up from my POV but for now here s a photo of you heading underground at T1 taking me with you.
That looks like more than a long ping tbh. Is the track going uphill in that place?
AC does a trajectory estimation so lagging cars continue whatever trajectory they are on.
If the track goes upwards, the lagging car will run into the floor but that photo looks more like the car would be diving downwards...

I guess it would be good if @pcmoreno woukd do a full grid AI quick race at Zandvoort, starting last and open the render stats app to check what his main_t and phy_late values show.

Maybe it was a physics choke!

Both values are in the "Render Stats" app. For me, it's a little "monitor" icon with "60 fps" written in it.
It's not a developer app, so you don't have to set anything up to see that app.

Looks like this:
Render_Stats_App.JPG

MAIN_T should never go above 98% and PHY_LATE should not tick up more than 10 per lap.
Going up to about 50 during race starts is okay though.
When people had bad physics chokes, the PHY_LATE value went up about 1000 per lap :p

What is even more annoying it is that you lose so much time waiting for the tyres to go out of red.
Yeah AC really lacks brake ducts simulation with core cooling.
I do think quickly overheating tyres during a slide and then spinning might be realistic, but how long they stay hot is definitely NOT... :(
First circuit off, the rear got very slightly onto the dirt and then the rumble strip, with full throttle, that was just the bad luck of mis-judging that by 6", just one of those things, silly me.:(
I was convinced I was coasting???
I did the same with the mx-5... Watching the replay like "now the spin happens. Let's see what I did wrong!"
Rear stepped out during corner entry and my throttle went up to 70% and when I touched the kerbs, it went to 100%...
Me sitting there like "yeah well you dumb idiot, no wonder you've spun the car!".
And I'm not even half your age, so it's not an age thing :roflmao:

Last edited:
I guess it would be good if @pcmoreno woukd do a full grid AI quick race at Zandvoort, starting last and open the render stats app to check what his main_t and phy_late values show.
That's a good idea. I'll try that tonight or tomorrow and post what I got here.

I got plinked into the wall at high speed(my aero was quite damaged) by a car that hit me tangentially at high speed). I suspect it was the server warping your car straight through the barriers and me due to an internet hickup.
:confused::confused::confused::confused: but we were, I guess, at least 20 secs apart at that time.

I'm a bit surprised and dissapointed by all these techical issues considering the race with the mazdas on the same track with more ppl went flawless.

It was quite warm on sunday, so my computer temp may have something to do with it.

KWwrwk6.jpg

3XqMIiL.jpg

Turns out it was Colin according to the replay! Definitely a network hickup
though!
I'm a bit confused by that picture. I didn't go off at that point. Was it me that hit you? I was some way away at the time.

Still not got to the bottom of why my ping goes high for a minute 40 mins into a race. What app does @RasmusP suggest I use to monitor network activity?

Last edited:
Well done on one set of mediums. I was going to try that strategy but my rears were more than half worn so didn't see how they'd last a whole race. How much did you have left at the end?

I didn't have an eye left to look exactly but they were in the 30's on sidekicks. RL low 30's I would say.
Last lap was a bit sketchy alright.

KWwrwk6.jpg

3XqMIiL.jpg

Turns out it was Colin according to the replay! Definitely a network hickup
though!

That's the craziest one i've seen in AC!

I had a similar one to paulo and paul at portimao.

The audi was a driver from the US, but I also think my ping was bad for that particular race. Pre my internet upgrades.

It was diagnosed at time as a netcode issue, whatever exactly that means I don't know. Big ping spikes I guess. Again the audi driver here wasn't aware, in my screen i just spun off.

The audi was a driver from the US, but I also think my ping was bad for that particular race. Pre my internet upgrades.

It was diagnosed at time as a netcode issue, whatever exactly that means I don't know. Big ping spikes I guess. Again the audi driver here wasn't aware, in my screen i just spun off.

From inside my cockpit I didn't notice anything - just my ping in the red. I have the ping number in the top corner of my screen so I can monitor it in game. If I see it go high then I try to keep away from others - and in this instance I was some way from Casper when I noticed it going high.

Really quite an annoying bug and I can't find any help online for a solution. Some say it could be OneDrive backing up files but I still get it if I disable OneDrive syncing.

It always happens at about the same time in race. Just odd.

Last edited:
@RasmusP Yeah, I'm keeping the cork in for now, but this was the first race in the last 4 where I had no issue :thumbsup:

To fix it, I did what any good tech support would do, I changed multiple things at once :laugh: Using different USB ports, took out the wireless mouse dongle, updated AMD drivers & windows update, and disabled the internal spinning disk. So something in there might have been the culprit, but what it is I may never know :geek:

Thanks again for the help!

Still not got to the bottom of why my ping goes high for a minute 40 mins into a race. What app does @RasmusP suggest I use to monitor network activity?
Sadly I never had to analyse network stuff so I have no experience about any tools :(
From a theoretical point of view, you'd need to find out where the issue lies exactly.
- router to server
- home network
- your PC to router
- inside your PC
- inside AC

My FritzBox has some priority settings, where I've set my PC to "real time".
So if I'm racing and my partner happens to want to stream on the TV, the iPad and her phone at the same time while synchronizing some 100GB cloud files on the laptop:
MY connection won't see any impact at all and I'll have to listen to complaints about slow download speeds and the videos not switching to HD quality :D

That would only be visible in your router, I think.
Again my FritzBox shows Downstream + Upstream in 5 seconds ticks.
Sadly not for every connected device specifically...

It might also be your PC doing something aside from AC every half an hour or so and you only see it when it happens during a race.
Like you got suggested: onedrive syncing, for example.

That would be visible in the Windows own resource monitor that can be opened from the performance tab in TaskManager.
However it doesn't have a history, which is super annoying!
There's the "perfmon" from Windows but that only tracks aaaalllll the things known to the universe WITHOUT telling you which application did what.

However I've found a little gitHub tool:

After extracting and running the exe, Windows will tell you not to run it. Click on the "details" or whatever the button in the left bottom says in English and then run it anyway.
Most GitHub creators won't pay for the Windows signature stuff so you'll have to trust the creator if you wanna run it.

If you don't have .NET 6.xx, you'll get a little error message asking you if you'd like to download it.
I clicked "yes" and chrome opened a Microsoft page where I could download it.
Installed it and started the net monitor via the exe again.
And it worked :)

It seems to do the job for a first investigation!
Sadly the bandwidth/time graph is not scrollable so you won't be able to find a potential spike, mark the time frame around that spike and filter for applications within that timeframe.

BUT at least it can LOG the usage for all processes!

I started CM, updated all the cars & tracks configs+vao files and then connected to a 32 cars Nordschleife Tourist server for a minute:

NetMonitor.JPG

Maybe let this run during the next race and then check if anything looks unusual?

It was diagnosed at time as a netcode issue, whatever exactly that means I don't know.
Game netcode mostly does:
- data receiving (we send data to the server)

- estimation (server estimated trajectories based on the received data)

- data sending (server sends out the estimated result to all clients)

- tick rate (how often these 3 steps are done per second)

In AC's case it seems that the "estimation" and "data sending" will run infinitely with full collision physics no matter if "data receiving" still works like it should.
So if the car is going over a crest and one client stops sending data to the server, the "receiving" will stop but the "estimation" will continue, causing the car to fly off like a jet.
For whatever stupid reason, there's no filter / checking algorithm that puts the car into "ghost mode" when the receiving data makes no sense.

When you see a car rubberbanding, the "data receiving" part still gets data, but with gaps and way too much latency, causing the "estimation" constantly correcting.

Depending on how well these 3 steps are coded, it's "good netcode" or "bad netcode".
The tick rate changes the theoretical accuracy. Too low and the estimation becomes difficult, too high and it gets difficult to keep things synchronized.

Last edited:
on the performance issue sides, once in a while I get this from Content Manager. I just press cancel since I don't really know what's going under the hood with this and I don't want to screw up my pc. Should I accept it?
1662392965767.png

on the performance issue sides, once in a while I get this from Content Manager. I just press cancel since I don't really know what's going under the hood with this and I don't want to screw up my pc. Should I accept it?View attachment 598015
Don't do it just yet!!
You should look into your render stats first!
So if THIS is the issue, you should see a difference before and after letting CM apply the "fix"!

If you trust it, (I do trust it), apply the changes automatically.
There are threads and videos out there discussion and solving this issue.
As far as I understood it:
Apparently, sometimes Windows can do... Weird stuff and you get a mmmmaaassssiiivvvee log file full of "errors" due to a bug.

It can cause all kinds of problems, from disks being busy with that instead of reading/writing the actual game files, CPU load to no disk space being available anymore.

Last edited:
View attachment 598022this is me on the back of a full grid of gt cars @RasmusP
Looks okay, although there's probably room for improvement with some settings.
We can dive into that, I'll drop you a pm tomorrow.

Can you do one lap with the full grid and have an eye on these stats and check if main_t goes up to 99 or phy_late going up in big chunks while doing a lap?

Then apply the fix and check again. Although the "crash log issue" doesn't always trigger, so maybe it's not happening during your quick test...

If you guys need a race server to diagnose stuff send me a message.

Pingplotter is one i've used before to look at pings/latency/packet loss to servers and routers before.

Can you do one lap with the full grid and have an eye on these stats and check if main_t goes up to 99 or phy_late going up in big chunks while doing a lap?
did not get above 95% that I could see. Also after restart session then the same grid, etc, has just 60% to 80% on main. phys hardly ever been above 60% on the lap.

main got a bit lower 5 to 10% but phys got higher on the same amount. Did not notice any lag before or after applying the fix.

Last edited:
Nice race this evening. Thanks to all who took part. It felt like a much bigger grid than it was, given all the action.

I went for mediums with a 50:50 fuel on 1 set of mediums. Again it proved a more fun choice than the 1 litre stop. Pity @Kek700 spun his maccer and @thom462 had technical issues

Now that i was in the lead the 50:50 fuel was a problem!

With the maccas gone, only a little over 10 minutes in, @H_Belane and @demetri didn't get into a massive scrap and the audi was soon all up in my mirrors. I thought Dmitry would just choo choo past with the first tow he got on the pit straight, out of the last corner, but to my surprise the straight line speed of both cars was pretty similar. The last 2 corners seemed about the only section of the track I could match home for pace! Maybe the dirty air was helping me.

At this point I went full Trappatoni playbook and parked the bus. The ferrari behaved itself and I was able to hold the R8 behind until the pitstops. I was very shocked a lap later to see Dmitry was on the same strategy? Or a 1 litre stop. Either way he made the call to wait for me to pass to resume the fight. Trying to stop Hank getting the undercut on me was gone and the trapp tactics were back! Miraculously the Ferrari behaved itself for another 30 minutes and I could hold him off again.

It really is a very difficult circuit to overtake when the car you are trying to pass knows the over taking spots and doesn't touch any grass or spin. I felt like the ferrari was the gt-r :)

Similar to the 1 litre strategy, maybe the better option was to let Dmitry through straight away and try and open a gap to Hank, but where's the fun in that :). Wasn't going to get much tow of Dmitry either!

Congrats to Hank for the win and well done who all who survived :geek:
I was on a different strategy (last minute stop and +18L), but it would've been utterly pointless last 30 minutes of driving solo, so I decided to stay in the pits longer and slot in just behind you and try to make an on track overtake, which ultimately didn't happen, ha-ha. It's indeed very difficult to pass here, the main straight is not long enough to catch up and move ahead and you can't drive directly behind a car in the last corner due to dirty air induced understeer. So, barring an opponent's mistake a pass isn't happening and you didn't really make any of those. Good job!

Hey, I remember that (I was in the grey Audi). I still have the replay and watching it it looks like the network issues were indeed on your side:

That's very typical for someone with an unstable ping

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.2%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 48 37.2%