AC GT3 @ Watkins Glen - Sunday 10th May 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Can someone give me a bit of help please. I know I have to put more time into practice but I can't get out of the 47's in the Porsche GT3. I don't know if it's me, my wheel settings, or car setup, but the car is just too keen to over rotate, particularly in the toe part of the 'Boot' and the first corner. It's frustrating me almost to the point of packing it in!.I'm too new to this to threaten you fast boys, so please advise :)

Can someone give me a bit of help please. I know I have to put more time into practice but I can't get out of the 47's in the Porsche GT3. I don't know if it's me, my wheel settings, or car setup, but the car is just too keen to over rotate, particularly in the toe part of the 'Boot' and the first corner. It's frustrating me almost to the point of packing it in!.I'm too new to this to threaten you fast boys, so please advise :)
Last night I didn't get out of the 47's also with my R8. I'm usually about 2-3 seconds slower then the fast guys. And the 911 has a tendency to switch from understeer to oversteer very quickly. It is potentially one of the fastest GT3 cars in AC but for me it was to difficult to handle this behaviour so for consistency I switched to the R8.

Edit: Ninja'd by Brian and Han:roflmao:

Hi Mark, first thing I'd say is that if you really are new-ish to this, then the '47's is very respectable especially if you're on medium's with half a tank. I know you hear it a lot here, but this isn't league stuff, it's primary thingymebob is having fun ... so have fun and times will build for you, it does for everyone.

Re your setup, not being a Porsche person (usually), maybe have a look for setups at http://thesetupmarket.com/ and find one that suits your style. Be warned, the website is ridiculously slow, but it does work! You might get @Kek700 chipping in with setup/driving advice for the Porsche, Ernie uses it a lot and (annoyingly:p) gets excellent results with it.

Lastly, Chris Down gives sound advice when he talks about using a car you like and then sticking with it - might be frustrating but you'll build experience very quickly that way.

An example track guide for Watkins & the Porsche below (it's iRacing but same principle), hope it helps, and that you have a good race tomorrow:thumbsup:

Many thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated. I do agree, the primary thing to consider is having fun, and come race time I know I will have fun, whatever position I end up racing for. I also realise from irl racing, most of time is in the driver, not setup :) so I will just have to get better at this sim lark. I will have a look at the video John, thanks. Good luck to you all on Sunday.

By the way, I am not a complete newbie, so don't want to come over as some sort of undiscovered talent! :) I have dabbled in Sims in the past, such as Gtr and Raceroom, and the recent lockdown has rekindled my interest. I have installed and played with all the current sim titles, but entering a race makes it more serious really, and I don't want to mess up and spoil someone's race. I do find the cars in AC generally more of a handful than Raceroom, say, where the cars feel fairly good 'out of the box' so to speak.

Looking @ the times on the practice server can be deceiving, and don't always reflect the lap times of a race. Maybe this video will allay your fears:

Incidently, in the last RD GT3 (multiclass) race @ Watkins Glen nobody picked the Porsche!

@Chris Down I'll give the Mercedes a try. Doesn't feel that bad, wondering why it's barely used.. hope I won't find out :)

What do you guys think about tyre strategy? Is 2x softs possible? or better 1x mediums? Or maybe starting on M and changing to S at the end?

@Chris Down I'll give the Mercedes a try. Doesn't feel that bad, wondering why it's barely used.. hope I won't find out :)

What do you guys think about tyre strategy? Is 2x softs possible? or better 1x mediums? Or maybe starting on M and changing to S at the end?

All of these are possible with the temps we'll be running at. Which is best mostly just depends on how well you can manage the soft temps, or push the mediums, and how much you expect track position to factor in :)

Like on Road America on softs I get the rear left in the red zone which is especially dangerous in the Heel. Don't know if the mediums will hold for the entire race.

If I can give my 2 cents, I would recommend you take your time and watch Chris Haye's excellent setup guide, take notes and start fiddling with your setup following his advices and tips. I'm by no means the fastest on the server, but I'd like to think that understanding how to build my own setups has made me a bit more consistent/aware of what I'm doing, so hopefully this set of videos would be helpful to you as well!

The quick guide:
jpebxpm5nrw11.jpg

@markg88

I hope you took note of what @pattikins said.
I have a setup for Watkins Glen for a 911, it is very stable, almost impossible to loose the back.
I can just get into the 46's with it but It is a 47 second setup, I am sure you can make it faster, but you will return to instability.
I will post if you are interested. I can run a trouble free race with this setup.
I was tempted to use the 911, so much, a more sharper drive, than my Nissan.
You have to run medium's anyway, plus the lighter fuel load required, makes it a very good choice. :)

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 112 88.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 47 37.3%