AC GT3 @ VIR - Sunday 14th February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
To all who didn't read all of the previous posts: There can appear a ballon in your way on the road. You can go through it without damage but it probably will block your sight at an inconvenient point of the track. I had that just now on the practice server. To prevent that you have to remove of rename the files balloon.kn5 and balloon2.kn5 from the map AssettoCorsa/content/tracks/VIR.

Pfft, baloon avoidance is part of the challenge, you know... ;)

If you were using Onboard settings app to set you view position and FOV and didn't click Save button there, then I believe those settings didn't get saved and the next time you launched AC (online or offline, it doesn't matter) everything was back to default
Yes I agree - but I can't turn on the steering or move the position back to what it was before even manually - There was the "auto" setting that I used to use always but that has gone to some weird "face stuck onto the dash" view now, so like I guess I'll just have to make do for now.

Advice to people who can't find their pace on this track. The whole uphill section is flat-out (well, maybe GT-Rs need to lift a bit in the last right-hand corner, but that's it), so if you find yourself having to lift off in order to stay on the track then your line through those esses is probably wrong. You have to straighten them as much as possible by putting your inside wheels on curbs/grass, otherwise you're losing lots of time. As long as the outside wheels stay on the track that's OK.

Advice to people who can't find their pace on this track. The whole uphill section is flat-out (well, maybe GT-Rs need to lift a bit in the last right-hand corner, but that's it), so if you find yourself having to lift off in order to stay on the track then your line through those esses is probably wrong. You have to straighten them as much as possible by putting your inside wheels on curbs/grass, otherwise you're losing lots of time. As long as the outside wheels stay on the track that's OK.
Yes (I don't have any pace to start with .... ) I have a load of trouble getting any decent line through there, it makes a really bad noise as it hits the curbs and one wonders if the engine is about to fly out' the car- I find that moving to the rhs at the first esse helps ... thanks for the heads up mate :)

Last edited:
Just saw @Chris Down WR video on YouTube. I wanted to ask you something with regards to these videos and the race ones: are you using any kind of sound mod? I'm using the 650s as well, but the motor noise seems totally different from yours.

Simresults: https://simresults.net/210214-6Sl

That was a really intense one, so much action and battling. I went on softs 50% strategy, which it seems everyone else did too. My first lap was absolutely terrible -- I'd not had much time to practice so was tweaking my setup in qualifying, and made the mistake of thinking "yeah, it'll be fine for the race too" -- well, it turned out it was really, really sketchy...

Got used to the setup after a couple of laps and was being chased down by @demetri and @Aksu, all of us doing pretty similar pace, until we reached back markers and I got taken out under blue flag. Oh well, these things happen. Aki overtook and I tried my hardest to block off @demetri and catch up, and then Aki also had an incident lapping. This was a tough one for everyone with the blue flags I think :)

Tyres were absolutely trashed by about 2-3 laps from the end of the stint, the car just wanted to fly off the circuit at the fast right hander. Managed to keep it under control and try to do the undercut to gain some more time on @demetri, which worked nicely. A bit risky since there might be traffic, but I was gambling that others were pitting too, which thankfully they did.

Second stint @demetri and me were doing basically the same pace for the entire stint, that was exciting :) In the end we finished with less than a second between us. A lot of fun! Congrats @demetri and @Aksu for the podium, we were all super close on pace :coffee:

Thanks everyone for coming out! Looking forward to racing with you all again next week -- I'm sure there'll be more people since it won't be Valentine's Day :)

Last edited:
So pleased that is out the way, with a bit of luck we won’t be back here for anther 6 months or so. It was for me just survival.

Think I’ll now have a drink.

2C8C081D-2437-44B0-9829-0D48B35174AF.jpeg

Great race today. I almost caught Dean twice, but ran out of laps!

I am getting closer the last couple of races. For this race I used my Monza setup with more wing. VIR is a smooth surface if you stay off the grass.

At Monza, I dropped the ride height and seemed to stabilize the car. I also changed the diff to minimum or close to values. This really settled the car down.

Thanks for the race everybody and thanks for hosting Chris!

So pleased that is out the way, with a bit of luck we won’t be back here for anther 6 months or so. It was for me just survival.

Think I’ll now have a drink.

View attachment 445557
Come on Ernie! Great race, you had the best consistency from the cars that finished and you were the driver that gained the most positions! :thumbsup: You didn't go off like I did twice, did you?

Quite satisfied with this race, except the two times I went off. Good pace, I think Thomas, Andreas and I could have battled for being the best human but my mistakes prevented that sadly:(.

Oh well, every race in which I finish in front of Ernie and not being lapped is a good one:thumbsup::)! And I was the fastest Ferrari today!

EDIT: Just saw I was the only 488 :speechless:

So thanks Chris for organising and also thanks everyone for joining.

Then a little promotion for the midweek races that will be organised first by Brian Walsh and (hopefully) in the coming weeks by Andreas and myself. Especially I'd like to invite the new guys because most of the combo's are not as intens as the GT3 events. Most of the used cars are easier to drive and have far less setup options. As from my own experience I can say that it will help you to improve yourself faster. With cars like for instance the MX5Cup you can focus more on the driving itself because the car is so easy to handle.

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%