AC GT3 @ Imola - Sunday 18th April 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
After two passes where guys basically gave away their positions without putting up a fight and two cars ahead pitting late I ended up in P3

Great drive to survive all that and get a podium! I was one of the aforementioned, this is where experience plays out. When I saw you about 8 seconds behind I figured your pace was probably a 1.5 up on mine maybe more so I had a few laps before I would have to defend, perhaps enough time to just stick to my lines for the last couple of laps and try and get good exits onto the main straight.

Just thinking about it and start I making mistakes! losing time all over the place :(, then you are in my mirrors which made it worse.. So yeah, I didn't defend, let you through and watched my podium dreams disappear on the back of an Audi .:roflmao::roflmao:.

Albeit those faster got knocked about more, I did get the highest race consistency so at my level I am taking that as a win :thumbsup:

Some circuits if you are a faster driver you can get good corners and use them as a sling shot for the next straight. Imola is not one of those circuits, too many narrow high speed difficult approaches.
Unless you run no wing, then that impedes you everywhere, by the time it is of some use, you still will not mostly have enough of a gain to catch on the long straight, due to time lost everywhere else.
Twice I saw overtakes at Variante Alta, it is just impossible to overtake anyone who does not want to be overtaken there. From the 50 meter board it is 100% brakes, there is no room for anyone else, even if you are along side, as the overtaking car, it is your responsibility, the inside man has the racing line, you are just going to have to hit the curb head on, that means you, even with a miracle no contact, will now have to accelerate on the green slippery surface and the other guy will have tarmac. It is hopeless from all angles.
Just in case you think you have some rights here being along side, you will almost certainly be there because of a last second lunge, suck it and see attempt, no one can expect the other driver to be in any way capable of addressing that situation in an all seeing way at that corner.
I really struggled for a clean overtake here, battling with Colin and Dean for many unsuccessful laps, could I have got past, easily, if I had no consideration for either of them. Had many unsuccessful attempts I had to back out of, for obvious reasons.
In the whole race, hit one person, Colin, sorry Colin, did pull back, and let him recover, before I restarted many more unsuccessful overtake attempts. :roflmao: :roflmao:
Sometimes at some circuits you just will struggle to overtake, next circuit it is easy’ish..
I had to watch the replay as I forgot I'd been nudged :) Actually made me quicker round the corner so no worries. I liked this track and had some good battles in the first half of the race. Made up lots of places in the T1 carnage but it was only a matter of time before I was reeled in. Finished 12th so a reasonable result for me.

Great drive to survive all that and get a podium! I was one of the aforementioned, this is where experience plays out. When I saw you about 8 seconds behind I figured your pace was probably a 1.5 up on mine maybe more so I had a few laps before I would have to defend, perhaps enough time to just stick to my lines for the last couple of laps and try and get good exits onto the main straight.

Just thinking about it and start I making mistakes! losing time all over the place :(, then you are in my mirrors which made it worse.. So yeah, I didn't defend, let you through and watched my podium dreams disappear on the back of an Audi .:roflmao::roflmao:.

Albeit those faster got knocked about more, I did get the highest race consistency so at my level I am taking that as a win :thumbsup:

The results make for interesting reading. You're the only one who had a clean race, with zero incidents. The average incident rate for the Imola race came in @ an eye-watering 17.6 :confused: :whistling:. My score was 14 :confused::redface:, but it was nowhere near to getting the Bad Boy Award...:confused::roflmao:

Results aside, that was my worst race in a long time. Playing AC from 7pm to 10.30pm was to much for me.

Congrats to those that made that made it on to the podium, and thanks to Brian & Han for organising the race + Chris for coming out of semi-retirement.

Last edited:
The results make for interesting reading. You're the only one who had a clean race, with zero incidents. The average incident rate for the Imola race came in @ an eye-watering 17.6 :confused: :whistling:. My score was 14 :confused::redface:, but it was nowhere near to getting the Bad Boy Award...:confused::roflmao:

Results aside, that was my worst race in a long time. Playing AC from 7pm to 10.30pm was to much for me.

Congrats to those that made that made it on to the podium, and thanks to Brian & Han for organising the race + Chris for coming out of semi-retirement.
I only had a slightly scratch with a car while avoiding the T1 incident but still SGP counts me 8 incidents, probably counts some heavy contact with the high kerbs as incidents.

PS: i find the SGP platform very useful with the way you can sign in, switch car/livery, the events history etc. I hope that the problem can be sorted out and we can return to SGP :thumbsup:

Just dropping my 2(€)cents here in favour of SGP; talking about our multiclass experience where as far as I remember all went well so far (maybe once we had a crash but in the race end). Don't know whether on Sunday the servers are suffering from the higher load maybe?
I can confirm that both AC e ACC events went well since i joined the club races, the only issues were on sunday GT3.

I only had a slightly scratch with a car while avoiding the T1 incident but still SGP counts me 8 incidents, probably counts some heavy contact with the high kerbs as incidents.
From my knowledge the AC servers register "collisions" when your hitbox hits either "barrier" or "car" hitboxes.
So kerb models are classified as "kerb", so no collision detection for that.

But it counts EVERY contact with another hitbox. So if you do some paint scratching through a turn, you can end up somewhere between 02-80 "collisions" :cautious::roflmao:

Just dropping my 2(€)cents here in favour of SGP; talking about our multiclass experience where as far as I remember all went well so far (maybe once we had a crash but in the race end). Don't know whether on Sunday the servers are suffering from the higher load maybe?

Sundays appear to be the issue, sounds like the platform needs more resource or...

1618835111645.png

From my knowledge the AC servers register "collisions" when your hitbox hits either "barrier" or "car" hitboxes.
So kerb models are classified as "kerb", so no collision detection for that.

But it counts EVERY contact with another hitbox. So if you do some paint scratching through a turn, you can end up somewhere between 02-80 "collisions" :cautious::roflmao:
Well, i don't know what i hit then, i'm sure that i didn't touch any other cars or wall...

Well, i don't know what i hit then, i'm sure that i didn't touch any other cars or wall...
Ah.. mh..
Then my memory has failed me and it's about the physical mesh (not necessarily the visual surfaces) colliding with the chassis. Probably wheels and underbody being excluded.
So it might've been sausage kerbs or grass/gravel if they were deep enough to reach your chassis?

But my point was more about the amount of collisions being through the roof for AC. You can easily get 30 collisions for your own car in a T1 pile up without even spinning!

Last edited:
Ah.. mh..
Then my memory has failed me and it's about the physical mesh (not necessarily the visual surfaces) colliding with the chassis. Probably wheels and underbody being excluded.
So it might've been sausage kerbs or grass/gravel if they were deep enough to reach your chassis?

But my point was more about the amount of collisions being through the roof for AC. You can easily get 30 collisions for your own car in a T1 pile up without even spinning!
Yes, i know pretty well what you mean, in a rookie race at seattle i was hit by the entire grid after turn 1 under the tunnel, i ended the race with 40+ incidents :roflmao:

The calculation is rubbish. I know I didnt had the best race at all, but 48 incidents?
Cant remember hitting a car at least twice per lap.

Last edited:
The calculation is rubbish. I know I didnt had the best race at all, but 48 incidents?
Cant remember hitting a car at least twice per lap.
I think every contact between two cars is counted twice as both report it to the server and if the cars are spinning that could be multiple contacts. On lap 1 I think you slightly bumped into Patrick right after our initial collision and then Andreas hit you as he wrote, that's 2 contacts and 4 collisions reported already.

Told ya the Lambo was a good car for this track :)

Even being 1.5s down pace-wise it is still possible to defend successfully, especially if you're driving a car with good acceleration and high top speed. You just have to be confident and not give out a single inch of space you're not required to. Do that for a few laps in a row and the opponent may become nervous and start making mistakes desperately trying to get a good run on you.

Anyway, congrats for the top consistency and zero incidents race. This track is very hard to be consistent on

Twice I saw overtakes at Variante Alta, it is just impossible to overtake anyone who does not want to be overtaken there. From the 50 meter board it is 100% brakes, there is no room for anyone else, even if you are along side, as the overtaking car, it is your responsibility, the inside man has the racing line, you are just going to have to hit the curb head on, that means you, even with a miracle no contact, will now have to accelerate on the green slippery surface and the other guy will have tarmac. It is hopeless from all angles.
Just in case you think you have some rights here being along side, you will almost certainly be there because of a last second lunge, suck it and see attempt, no one can expect the other driver to be in any way capable of addressing that situation in an all seeing way at that corner.
You can overtake there, but you need to get a very good run out of Acque Minerali and pull slightly ahead for that to be successful.

But if you're behind and are planning to dive-bomb outbrake the opponent into the tight chicane that's not cool.

After watching some parts of the race again. It taught me one important lesson. My times might improved a lot lately. I managed to beat my PB in the "first" qualifying by about 0.8 secs. Second one was a tenth slower. But my racecraft is something else, I got some decent results in some races, but really struggle overtaking "slower" drivers after I fell behind lately.
Had a couple of fights with Andreas in the race resulting mostly in one of us in the gravel of going way too wide. Sorry Andreas for being too aggressive in some places, the race just didnt went well for me at all.
Something I really need to work on in the future. When I start battling I mostly lose 1-2 secs per laps, close range driving just needs a hell lot of practice. I still struggle and miss my break points just to many times. Lets see what the next race will bring to the table.

Also sorry Jack for the punt to the side in lap two. Just couldnt avoid you. Also I dont know if he is here in the thread. But my apologies to Richard for the punt in Variante Alta, you just went in way slower then I expected. Again my race was all over the place...
Stefan thanks for your apology. It was a tough race for everyone with lots of action at the start. I ended up 'out of position' in sixth by the end of the first lap but my lack of practice (I was away all week and hence left playing catchup on Sunday evening!) meant I was slower than normal (only my third RD/SGP full race although I've been racing on AC since December) and I obviously wasn't carrying as much speed as you and the other fast guys at various parts of the circuit including Variante Alta. That said I was disappointed you didn't follow my understanding of club etiquette and wait for me to rejoin the race in front of you but maybe I've misunderstood what you're expected to do if you take someone off? :-(

Anyway no hard feelings - life's too short! :)

Stefan thanks for your apology. It was a tough race for everyone with lots of action at the start. I ended up 'out of position' in sixth by the end of the first lap but my lack of practice (I was away all week and hence left playing catchup on Sunday evening!) meant I was slower than normal (only my third RD/SGP full race although I've been racing on AC since December) and I obviously wasn't carrying as much speed as you and the other fast guys at various parts of the circuit including Variante Alta. That said I was disappointed you didn't follow my understanding of club etiquette and wait for me to rejoin the race in front of you but maybe I've misunderstood what you're expected to do if you take someone off? :-(

Anyway no hard feelings - life's too short! :)
No, you are 100% right. I should have waited for sure. Just coulndt get my **** together this race and hope for a better one this week.
Again apologies to all I might have caused issues too. A day not to remember for me.

You can overtake there, but you need to get a very good run out of Acque Minerali and pull slightly ahead for that to be successful.

But if you're behind and are planning to dive-bomb outbrake the opponent into the tight chicane that's not cool.
Absolutely Dimetri, but you were alongside and then slightly in front, so the other driver knew what to expect, for the vast majority of times, you are not going to get that advantage. ( you did say that though )
You will only get that with a poor exit on the previous corner from the other car, I can almost guarantee that the other Audi got a poor exit from the previous corner. :unsure:

Last edited:
What I saw in the last races, and I am not innocent here (something I need to work on too) is that many drivers try to under cut corners and more or less dive bomb the inside even if they are 0.4 secs behind in the breaking zone. Making it almost impossible for the driver ahead to get a proper corner entry, always having the fear that the apex is suddenly blocked. I think you have to be at least on the same height or only a little behind but at least along side the other car to make a move and claiming the corner.

Or are there different approaches and opinions on that?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back