AC GT3 @ Chang - Sunday 19th July 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks to @Chris Down for putting on tonight's race, and making my job easy tonight! And a big thanks for all that turned out, really appreciated guys:)

Congrats to @erazerr7 Michael and @Evgeniy Neytman for the top places, great pace by you both!

I was far too cautious (nervous!) in the first few laps and lost ground to Evgeniy but apart from that, for the hour the gap was varying between 3 to 6 seconds... so near, yet so far:laugh:

Thanks again chaps for the fair racing, and for next Sunday tag your mates in!... and maybe you can join us for Weds Group C at Sebring:whistling:

Was an enjoyable race with the exception of John being so quick in P3, just couldn't get near him tonight.

Top 3 were in a race of their own. Great combo though.

I used Silverstone setup in the race for info as didn't get a lot of practice in.
I used a 2 yr old Bathurst setup tonight George, my usual base setup didn't work at all - there seems to be a couple of corners with very late apexes that (imo) the Macca doesn't like (lift-off oversteer). It's very hard on rear tyres but with tonight's low temps it just held with softs.

Yeah, love the track, has great rhythm:)

First, I would like to apologize to @hape for bumping into him in turn 1. I am really sorry.
I've had like a brain shut-down for the whole first lap. At the start, I was so ready to go, that I forgot to engage 1st gear and I was reving the engine and didn't know why I wasn't moving, while everybody was passing by ... And then forgot how to brake ...

But after that, I think I've had one of the best drives I've ever done. I've basically started last, or almost last and finished 7th, which was so rewarding after the turn 1 disappointment in myself. All I've had in mind after my turn 1 shenanigans were that I want to finish the best R8 on the grid :) So I did :D

So many great battles with all the guys that were around 10th place:
@neesve, @Luca Badin, @640er - you all drove really good yesterday. Unfortunately, my passes were not based on my skill, but I look forward to our next battles on the track :D
@nash112 - when I finally passed, after 10 laps I think, it was so relieving, too bad you spun, I think?
@Interslice you were going so fast in the last 5 minutes. When all my tires were yellow, I just started to lose 1.5s per lap. It was crazy ... Also, I've didn't want to push too hard, to not make any mistakes, because the lead was quite considerable.

Regarding the setup, thanks @nash112 for pointing that RedBull Ring was a closer match. I've just adjusted the gears, very slightly the camber, and went one down on aero, up to 2. It felt really stable, although a little bit slower on the twist part.

First, I would like to apologize to @hape for bumping into him in turn 1. I am really sorry.
I've had like a brain shut-down for the whole first lap. At the start, I was so ready to go, that I forgot to engage 1st gear and I was reving the engine and didn't know why I wasn't moving, while everybody was passing by ... And then forgot how to brake ...
hi @Raresch
i accept your apologize but after that action my race was over. The next overtaking i was also rammed away.
I hope for the next race hopefully not everyone drives thru my car.
hape

But after that, I think I've had one of the best drives I've ever done. I've basically started last, or almost last and finished 7th, which was so rewarding after the turn 1 disappointment in myself. All I've had in mind after my turn 1 shenanigans were that I want to finish the best R8 on the grid :) So I did :D

So many great battles with all the guys that were around 10th place:
@neesve, @Luca Badin, @640er - you all drove really good yesterday. Unfortunately, my passes were not based on my skill, but I look forward to our next battles on the track :D
@nash112 - when I finally passed, after 10 laps I think, it was so relieving, too bad you spun, I think?
@Interslice you were going so fast in the last 5 minutes. When all my tires were yellow, I just started to lose 1.5s per lap. It was crazy ... Also, I've didn't want to push too hard, to not make any mistakes, because the lead was quite considerable.

Regarding the setup, thanks @nash112 for pointing that RedBull Ring was a closer match. I've just adjusted the gears, very slightly the camber, and went one down on aero, up to 2. It felt really stable, although a little bit slower on the twist part.
It was a fun race man! I'm a bit disappointed in myself. After my best qualifing jet in these RD races, i just couldn't stay consistent. After spinning the tires where redhot, witch led to more spins. The good thing is that you learn so much from these type of races with people who are serious and respect each other. looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:
Just looked at the replay, I remember thinking when I looked in my mirror, that's impressive late braking.:confused:

There was an agricultural line i was taking there every so often where i was sort of braking right through the corner and 'turning in' at the far kerb on the home straight! Again I think due to inconsistent exits from the previous corners :) I nearly killed andreas in Portugal with a similar accidental dive bomb...

First off, congrats to @Medilloni and @Evgeniy Neytman for the podiums. Thanks John for taking over the organization of the event and keeping things running as Chris is on vacation!

Things were a bit quiet on my end but I don't think I've seen such a close qualifying session in the midfield in my time here at RD... Hope you guys had some nice, clean racing, I was looking at the replays and I saw some pretty cool close battles here and there :thumbsup: who would of thought a Tilke track designed in the last decade could bring on such high-quality racing :roflmao: (just kidding, I know people like to hate on the guy because of atrocities such as Sochi or Yas Marina but he does have a couple of good ones, right)? Maybe the layout would have been poor for formula but it felt great for GT!

Anyways, would anyone have the race data file handy? I'd love to have a look but I'm at work so I don't have access to my gaming computer :whistling:... If not I'll try to post it when I get home tonight!

I used a 2 yr old Bathurst setup tonight George, my usual base setup didn't work at all - there seems to be a couple of corners with very late apexes that (imo) the Macca doesn't like (lift-off oversteer).

I might be a tad too late to help with this, but if ever you'd want to fix your setup for a hypothetical next race at Chang, I'd say you have a differential issue, likely the coast value. So I'd play around with that a little (increase it, I believe? I'm not 100% sure, however) and that should cure the lift-off oversteer.

Hmm. Not much to say, probably the worst RD race ever for me (and some serious bad luck :roflmao:), and also the first time I've left a race here before end.. :(
Lesson learned..during summer time, I will skip the races with new tracks and only take part on tracks which I already know. Just not enough time at the moment ;)

Thanks for organising, Chris and thanks for hosting, John :thumbsup:

Anyways, would anyone have the race data file handy? I'd love to have a look but I'm at work so I don't have access to my gaming computer :whistling:... If not I'll try to post it when I get home tonight!
Sorry Michael, I tried uploading mine last night but it's corrupt for some reason:( I too would appreciate if anyone can upload to simresults,net - curious to find where I was losing out to Evgeniy.

I might be a tad too late to help with this, but if ever you'd want to fix your setup for a hypothetical next race at Chang, I'd say you have a differential issue, likely the coast value. So I'd play around with that a little (increase it, I believe? I'm not 100% sure, however) and that should cure the lift-off oversteer.
Thanks for this too!

I hadn't had much time for setup with the 'base' I can normally work with, so used my 'old faithful' Bathurst setup - the back end sticks like a fly on :poop: , and as you say, with coast at 65% it cuts out the oversteer problem. Only problem is it chews through rear tyres:laugh:

That was a quite race - far from the leader, not so close to 3rd. The quali lap was ok, but it’s difficult to make a great race setup in 2 hours:) So i’ve been trying to stay close to Mike for 5 laps or so but then my tires have started to degrade and i had to drop the pace a bit. Grats to Mike, a well done drive!

The guide for not winning:
-download the track 2h before the race
-take your base setup
-tweak only pressures, rear wing and 4,5,6 gears
-drive alone until you’ll fininish

It became really obvious that my braking was so much worse than everyone else.
I have a G920 with the rubber block brake.
I have tried using the free moving clutch pedal too
But it is impossible to control the braking without ABS with these pedals, either too much or too little braking and not possible to judge before applying the brake.
I think I have the suspension sussed[i think] but high ABS settings upset the car too much in the twisty bits and low numbers increase the stopping distance.
So what do I need to do to be able to take of the ABS?
Do I need to change the pedal? What type of pedal? Load Cell?

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 70 58.3%