GT Omega Apex wheel stand review

I don't have enough space for a full cockpit so I've been using an old wheel stand with a single support strut in the centre. Although it worked well enough with my old two-pedal setup, I wanted something a little more solid that would allow me to comfortably use the T3PA pedals which came with my T300RS GT wheel. After looking at several options, I decided on the new GT Omega Apex wheel stand. The retail price for the stand is £149.95 in the UK but it’s occasionally discounted making it even better value.

It was delivered in a heavy-weight cardboard box and comes almost fully assembled. The stand is built like a tank - it weighs in at 14kg without the wheel or pedals! It's surprisingly rigid and is much more substantial than the old GT Omega Classic wheel stand. It's nicely finished in black powder coating with good quality welds and no sharp edges. It has 4 wide, screw-in adjustable plastic pads to level it for uneven floors. The horizontal bar to which the wheel mounting plate attaches slides up and down on a diagonal and I’d think the adjustment would accommodate almost any height user. In addition to the main height adjustment, the angle of the wheel mounting plate can also be adjusted. Even with enthusiastic braking, the pedal plate has no noticeable flex in use and can be set to one of 7 preset angles up from almost flat. Both the wheel and pedal plates are pre-drilled for Thrustmaster, Fanatec and Logitech setups and the pedals are mounted in slots to provide quite extensive fore and aft positioning. Unlike the original stand, it also comes complete with a gear shifter mount which can be attached to either the left or right side and, like the rest of the stand, it feels very solid when mounted. It also comes with 5 adjustable velcro straps to tidy up the wiring and all the fixing bolts you’d need to mount virtually any wheel/pedal combination. A nice touch is the inclusion of spare adjuster knobs and pieces of plastic trim and a number of different sized spanners and allen keys. One big advantage of the stand is that it can be quickly folded for storage with the wheel, pedals and shifter still attached.

Try as I might, I honestly can’t find anything about it to criticise. It’s much higher quality than the price would suggest and is good value even at the full retail price. If you’re pushed for space, or just want a more portable rig, I can thoroughly recommend this stand.

Last edited:
Just as add-on to my original review, there’s now an optional keyboard and mouse tray plus a rear seat frame available to convert the Apex into a full cockpit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I recently bought a TH8A shifter, and now I am looking at wheel stands because I need a better solution than clamping everything to my desk. This is most likely the stand I will go with, but there is one rub. I do plan on replacing my pedals with at least the HE Sprints. So I am trying g to find out how rough one can be on the pedal deck.

Upvote 0
So I am trying g to find out how rough one can be on the pedal deck.

Very! There’s no noticeable flex in the pedal deck - like the rest of the stand, it’s surprisingly solid and well made for such an inexpensive stand. The biggest problem I found was stopping my office chair moving backwards when braking hard with a LC brake. I solved the problem by looping a couple of cheap webbing/cargo straps around the chair arms and the wheel stand.

Upvote 0
A question about the wheel deck. When you mount your wheel, how close does the deck plate get to the overhang on your T300? I'm brain storming to see if the stand will work for an Accuforce wheel.

Upvote 0
There may be fitting problems with the Accuforce hole pattern and the wheel deck of the Apex stand. IIRC the AF and a typical Thrustmaster wheel base share a set of holes with the spacing of 135mm. The AF has identical holes about 25mm north or south of the TM holes. If I try to drill closer towards the top of the deck (from a birds eye view), I am not sure if there's enough space. And from the looks of things, there are 2 elongated relief holes 25mm closer towards the steering wheel side of the plate. Those may not work, trying to cope those holes would only make the AF wheels attachment less secure...

At least, that is what I believe may happen. I don't know for sure and spending $150 just to find out, isn't very appealing. I most likely will have to get the NLR DD wheel stand, even though its twice as expensive. No savings for me. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back