Community Question | Who Here Uses A Dedicated 'Sim Rig'?

Hello

I am pretty new to Racedepartment site and forum, but I started playing F1 simulations back at the days of Grand Prix 2 from Microprose ... :) I was using a race seat rig made out of wood but changed this to aluminum self build one at beginning of this year. Steering wheel and pedals and the seat can be adjusted - if pedals are "in" the rig does not consume much more than an office chair :) All parts have been ordered pre-cut at an "you know the bay" shop. Screen / TV and PC are sitting on a small dedicated desk (also on wheels) but will be mounted to the rig next time ...

Regards, D.
IMG_8143.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you.
That's a Sam Maxwell SMZ1 wheel I got from the Z1 Dashboard website.
https://www.z1simwheel.com/smz1/index.cfm

Thank you very much for your answer Eric. I look since a long time for a Cosworth CCW MKII replica or a kind of, but without success untill now. Your SMZ1, allthought not identical is very similar, I like it. It's currently not available at the moment on Z1 website but I'll keep an eye on it. Again, thank you very much for your reply.

I've created this for a year or 2 ago. It's far from perfect but fits the job. Also there is not much room to put something bigger here, and it gives a better immersion for me than racing on a desk. Could do the paddles a bit better in the future but that's all I would like to change.

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_185851.jpg
    IMG_20201123_185851.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 141
I have a dedicated sim rig set up in my gym, so lucky I have the room. I'm currently using a Playseat F1, which is very solid and easily accommodates my Fanatec DD1. On the down side, the seat is not that comfortable and needed some modification. Also the centre post is a little annoying, but it is very sturdy. The Pedal plate is also flimsy, but placed hard against a brick wall it's as solid as a rock.

Last edited:
I would like to try a dedicated sim construct, but space doesn't permit it. I was hesitant to buy a DD wheel because of all of the horror stories about torque/stability when you attach it to a desk. It depends on the desk. Do what I did, put a nice, heavy pc on the desk and end of story. The Podium DD2 works well. The seat was an issue because of wood floors, but removing the wheel, putting cups in their place and then using piano foot holders solved that problem.

Now all I need is the new 4k,32", 144hz monitors due out next year and one of the vaporware video cards from Nvidia or AMD.

View attachment 421673View attachment 421668
Where did you get those feet as I would like a set for my Titan too....

Dedicated rig? Nah. Got no room for that. Instead a 2m Ikea-table, which might look like halfway solid wood, but in reality is as hollow as a empty pringles can. So it weights about nothing. Re-inforced with extra leg and some other stuff to keep it from breaking in two.
We are also two people sharing this "desk". Which for me doubles up as a office as shown by all the papers. While I may work at multiple football stadiums. I have no office or office-like space at all. So I do all office-related work from home). It also doubled as a home-office during "lockdown" for both earlier this year.
Like I said earlier, the other here play precision-games, often with a mouse. I play sims with FFB wheel. And with a table that weights nothing, that's... interesting.

Due to space there is no way for me to keep the wheel attached to anything, so it causes a lot of "cable-spaghetti" when I take the wheel up and down so often.

I'm not complaining though, it works fine, and while there's no room for two separate desks here, and we have sacrificed a proper dining table to get room for it, the apartment is so central in the city that it's idiotic(ly nice), and it was what was possible to afford when buying something. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather own a slightly small apartment now, but being in the housing market, instead of renting something 15-20 square meters larger, but paying on someone elses loan, and also having to pay more than own mortgage! That's a sacrifice I'll happily do :)

729Lszr.jpg

y8vC9f8.jpg

20201123_200119- Reduced.jpg

Work in progress - Mercedes C Class seat and scrap wood - ex shelf and left over garden decking materials :) Desk / bench is 600mm deep kitchen worktop offcut. Need to sort pedals next.
Will mount the whole thing on castors so when not in use can roll away under desk.
Total cost to date £15 for seat off ebay :D
The seat is on runners of course, has adjustable back, under thigh adjustment and height adjustment - and for added comfort heated seat too !!!!

Last edited:
Since the seat is on casters, mine qualifies as Movable,
although I have no intention of moving the wheel stand.
extruded.jpg

Originally cobbled from scrap 5/4 yellow pine
and a folding clamping Work Bench,
this wheel stand is acceptably stable and rigid,
with movement visible only between its feet and carpet
and not sensed when driving in VR.
In the dark, wearing Odyssey+ HMD, it looks great!
Tactile feedback courtesy of SRS ShakeSeat, SimHub, motherboard 7.1 audio
and a pre-HDMI Denon 7.1 receiver.

Obligatory extra ShakeSeat padding cut from 1/2" interlocking EVA foam mat.
EVAshakeseat.jpg

The (not very) hardest part of tactile was identifying SRS ShakeSeat connector.

AccuForce hybrid step motor was bolted thru 5/4 yellow pine,
subsequently upgraded to 40-8020 extrusion;
cables strain-relieved by a clamp to side board.

When driving, castered swivel seat is strapped to workbench front legs,
which are in turn strapped to a board bolted to G29 pedals,
which are modified with DIY degressive clutch linkage and load cell brake.
Thanks to the magic of triangulation, strapped seating position is quite stable.

Power control by ADCOM ACE-515; cable management courtesy of Mickey Mouse:
My AccuForce is blessed with one of the noisy controller power supply fans,
placed as far as possible from the driving position:.
G29 pedals are connected via an adapter to the AccuForce controller.
DB9.jpg

28 Nov 2023 edit: repaired broken links from GitHub Pages site.

Last edited:
I'm very proud of my unique seat solution, it's genious, Sparco seat and frames from my 2 previous Playseats. This Sparco seat is heaven :)

If someone is interested how to set Sparco seat to Playseat frame so here is some more pictures about how I did it. It was not so easy as it looks, I had to use my brain :)
Hey Kimmo - nice work on the Sparco.

Apologies if this was already one of your hard earned attempts, but in pic 4 that you attached, the offset of the new frame bolt to Playseat frame looks suspiciously similar to the offset of the Sparco seat mount side to bolt hole distance. I was wondering is just swapping the L + R sides of the Sparco seat mount might allow you to mount directly to the Playseat frame?

I'm only asking as I have a playseat base, and as I'm compromised into working from home and simracing on the same desk, and a comfier / sturdier seat has been on my agenda for a while.

Again, apologies if this question is giving you flashbacks of putting it together in the first place :thumbsup:

Sadly enough i had to tick the "movable set up box ".:( There is just no space in our home for a permanent rig.

But i could never imagine that my movable setup would be a SFX-100 + GS-5 combo with a 4-way belt tensioner and it would take me only 3 minutes to set it up :D

I just re-read this after checking out all the cool methods people here have employed in the search of enjoying this hobby.

How is this a moveable object?!!??!?!?!?!?
It's huuuuge

Hey Kimmo - nice work on the Sparco.

Apologies if this was already one of your hard earned attempts, but in pic 4 that you attached, the offset of the new frame bolt to Playseat frame looks suspiciously similar to the offset of the Sparco seat mount side to bolt hole distance. I was wondering is just swapping the L + R sides of the Sparco seat mount might allow you to mount directly to the Playseat frame?

I'm only asking as I have a playseat base, and as I'm compromised into working from home and simracing on the same desk, and a comfier / sturdier seat has been on my agenda for a while.

Again, apologies if this question is giving you flashbacks of putting it together in the first place :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Yes I think somehow it could be possible to fit this Sparco Evo LF to single Playseat frame, but I think it's not so good solution. This my solution is solid as a rock and it looks good. You should notice that I tried to do it the way you think about it but in the end I didn't like the idea. In my solution the Sparco seat mount is bolted to inner side plate as you can see from the image linked below.

I have some more images about my solution if it helps your work,so please see this image also http://www.kolumbus.fi/keni1/SparcoToPlayseat7.jpg

Edit: Also notice that Playseat's original seat is very solid frame bolted to side plates but Sparco seat's mounts are separated so I think it is not so solid solution to bolt Sparco to Playseat frame without any changes. So what I did at first was solid Playseat frame for Sparco seat to prevent lateral movements that can prevent the bench from breaking during use.

Last edited:
I have an electric rising desk and a 49" superwide. Normally use an office chair with it. When racing I lower the desk, bring the screen forward and slide a racing seat underneath. Gives me a decent solution for everything in a relatively small setup.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%