Grosjean Awarded 3-Place Grid Penalty for Monaco

Totally deserved, just unbelievable.
Old french F1 driver Jack Laffite said that he did exactly what you should never do, for people who still have a doubt.

Last edited:
It was a very stupid move...even by Grosjean's standards.
Retarding the spin is one thing...doing a 360 at the start of a Grand Prix to get back on track in an attempt to minimize the number of places lost, is another all together.
By that point he was well up and had lots of cars behind.
Did he really expect a bunch of 'fuel-heavy', fast-charging cars wouldn't collect him, while coming back on to the middle of the racing line?
He'd have 'rooted' the tires with that heavy fuel load and that much throttle anyway...dictating a pit-stop.
Sometimes the end doesn't justify the means.
All he essentially did was destroy Hulkenberg's and Gastly's races...along with his own.

Steiner is not an idiot. He's doing his job as a team boss, which is to publicly defend his drivers. He did it with Magnussen too.
We don't know what he told Grosjean, or Magnussen after Baku, that's Haas internal business.

Steiner is not an idiot. He's doing his job as a team boss, which is to publicly defend his drivers.
Yes, he is. If he defends such behavior, publicly or not, then he's an idiot to me.
Horner didn't defend his drivers after the Baku drama, which wasn't even as bad as what Grosjean did.. Although forgiving, he was very pissed off and showed it in the post-race interview. That's what I call self-reflection.

Horner then was doing pretty lousy job, by your standards LeSunTzu. (damn that's a long name. and complicated.:unsure: how about LST?)
Oh boy, he was so not gentle with his drivers after that Baku -how to ram your team mate- crashgate. Interestingly enough, although they been individually much less guilty than Grosjean now, they were much less self-confident than Gro now. Guess you never know... it's a crazy F1 world...

Last edited:
If Verstappen has had a penalty for its Baku reckless defence, Horner would have said the same as in the past when stewards ruled against Max: too harsh, others do worse and go away with it, for some reason everyone targets Max, etc etc....ie, what Steiner said about Grosjean's penalty.

There are 2 things absolutely 'a death sin' in motorsport:

1. Deliberately sideways crossing the track with oncoming traffic approaching.
2. Driving in opposite direction.

Grosjean is clearly guilty on the 1st one, so no matter your arguments, no-one should defend this kind of behavior. Steiner is making a fool of himself.

Besides, the stewards came up with a verdict which speaks for itself in comparison to Baku, so what is Steiner talking about?

Last edited:
I can understand sticking up for your driver to some degree, but that doesn't preclude agreeing they made a bad decision or a mistake. But Steiner is defending Grosjean by saying he may have done the right thing!

"He tried to get out of the way"

"And he went through and he knocked two [cars] out. If he had stood still, we don't know, maybe he would have knocked five out"

"His car spun around and, yes, it doesn't look good if someone accelerates when you're in the middle of the track, but it's a millisecond decision that he needed to take"

Steiner is not an idiot. He's doing his job as a team boss, which is to publicly defend his drivers. He did it with Magnussen too.
We don't know what he told Grosjean, or Magnussen after Baku, that's Haas internal business.
From Steiner: "I said to him, 'I cannot blame you for this. You tried to get the best start you could, it didn't work out, move on."

Steiner: "He didn't do anything stupid at the start. It's not that he tried to overtake, or brake late, or that he understeered into anybody".

Of course not, he only went full throttle back onto track, but that's 'normal'.

1. Deliberately sideways crossing the track with oncoming traffic approaching.
2. Driving in opposite direction.
L0l they're really deadly, no doubt keto.
What would I add as my personal #3 (although not that huge sin -not so dangerous at least- so make it:) with a smaller font, like #3) is crashing your team mate.
Deliberately is ofc far worse than by accident. Arguably most famous deliberate team mate crash was that 1990 Suzuka when Senna ram Prost in turn 1, lap 1.

The blame lays with Grosjean 100%. Magnussen had a twitch coming out of the corner and Grosjean tried to avoid it but that happens, just classic first lap incidents. No one is to blame for that incident, the part where the blame comes in is Grosjean keeping the throttle pinned and trying to cross a live race track on the first lap by spinning the car. He created a smoke screen making it even more dangerous and with Grosjean making the decision to keep it pinned.

This is not a natural reaction. He gave the option to brake or pin the throttle, however there is a third even more natural reaction: nothing. If he hadn’t done anything and thus let it roll back the entire incident would have been avoided.

And even IF the car had turned around and not hit anyone, the rear tires would have overheated and been damaged from the wheel spin requiring him to pit that lap anyway. So letting it roll and lose some time or burning the rears and having to pit…. I believe that the latter option would still not have been the desired option. Therefore it was not a natural reaction and thus a conscious one and a terrible one at that.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.