Grosjean Awarded 3-Place Grid Penalty for Monaco

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Grosjean Spanish Grand Prix Crash 1.jpg Grosjean Spanish Grand Prix Crash 2.jpg Grosjean Spanish Grand Prix Crash 3.jpg Grosjean Spanish Grand Prix Crash 4.jpg
Grosjean handed 3-place grid penalty in Monaco for his part in the opening lap accident that ended the races of Nico Hulkenberg and Pierre Gasly in Barcelona.

Having lost the rear of his Haas Ferrari in the long radius Turn 3 following an out of shape moment for teammate Kevin Magnussen, Romain Grosjean would be the catalyst for a multi car collision that resulting in an early end to the day for both Renault driver Nico Hulkenberg and the luckless Pierre Gasly, earning Frenchman Grosjean a three place demotion of the grid for the upcoming Monaco Grand Prix, the most difficult circuit on the current Formula One calendar for overtaking opportunities...

Grosjean would be judged to have behaved recklessly following his out of shape lap 1 slide, firmly planting the accelerator in an attempt to save his car but in turn dangerously lighting up the rear tyres and spinning back into oncoming traffic, leaving a good portion of the field unsighted in the plumes of white tyre smoke from the out of control Haas F1 machine.

As well as his costly penalty for Monaco, the race stewards also handed a disapointed Grosjean a two point penalty on his racing licence, bringing his total score to five for the season so far.

"The driver explained to the stewards that he felt that his momentum was going to carry him to the centre of the track, and therefore made the decision to apply power in an attempt to cross to the right side of the track and get out of the way of the cars behind," said the official steward statement.

"However, while crossing he moved into the line of cars #27 and #10.

"The driver stated to the stewards that he made the decision to cross the track, trying to avoid the other cars and that he felt this was his best option.

"The stewards found that while it is speculation as to where the driver's car would have ended up had he chosen other alternatives, it is certain that while crossing the track in front of the following pack of cars, which he chose to do, that a collision occurred.

"Further, in reviewing the video, the stewards found that the car was following the line on the left side of the track and was almost fully off the track, when he made the decision to cross it."
Following his second DNF in a row after crashing out under Safety Car conditions in Baku, Grosjean remains without a point in the championship standings while team mate Kevin Magnussen rides high in ninth overall, with 19 to his account so far.

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think the penalty for Grosjean was deserved? Was Grosjean right in his actions during the lap one crash? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointed by Grosjean's start of the season.. of course he was not to blame in australia but then, only mistakes. Penalty is deserved in my opinion, it was a very dangerous move for him and the others. "Luckily" he has hit only 2 cars, things could have been much worse.

Certainly deserved. The worst action one can make. An instant one-race ban would've been more appropriate if it was for me to decide. The 2 penalty points on his licence are a laugh as a driver can have 12 points within a year before it results in a penalty. He has 5 penalty points so far so that won't hurt him.

Reactions: dud
I can't really understand why he full throttle when he know there are like 10 cars coming and he want to spin the car into the track... meaby someone can open my mind on this, but this action is seriusly horrorific to see in f1

Last edited:
Last edited:
Silliest move I have seen since Lewis and that impossible gap

He destroyed 3 cars when it was totally avoidable
He should get a 1 race ban at least, give the reserve driver a chance
All he would need to do is not crash and he has done a better job

Reactions: dud
Deserved, I think. He was out of control in traffic, the only reasonable course of action in that situation is to lock them up and let physics dictate your fate. Instead, he chose to floor it, causing a massive smoke screen and putting himself back across the racing line. Yes, it all happened very quickly, but if we are to believe these are the best drivers in the world, this behavior needs to be punished.

This guy should not be driving in F1. It's a miracle that he's survived so long. Wonder how long it will take people start to notice.

Penalty is deserved. It's a dangerous move. We can't see that at this level of that competition. Like the second move of Verstappen against Riccardo at Baku. But FIA give a penalty or not... One can think about what he did, the other one nope... :/

When asked if it was the correct move to keep his foot on the power, he replied: “I think it's the natural thing to do". :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ning-a-lot--hulkenberg-after-lap-1-crash.html
I agree that it is the natural thing to do, it was panic. The thing is, those guys are meant to be the best in the world and prepared for situations like that. I would have expected that in a junior formula but not in F1, especially from a pro with a few seasons under his belt.

I agree that it is the natural thing to do, it was panic. The thing is, those guys are meant to be the best in the world and prepared for situations like that. I would have expected that in a junior formula but not in F1, especially from a pro with a few seasons under his belt.
That's exactly what I've been thinking. I dislike it when it happens in simracing, let alone in real racing.
Never saw so much stupidity from a real racing driver.

i hope there was a better button than those simple "agree or like or beer and ...." there should be a "you have said the most accurate thing and i will accept you as my prophet" button lol

It's when you see something like this that I start see what Brundle means now by the drivers feeling too safe and protected.......

Whenever i was karting or even track days if i span i'd want to be off track as soon as possible...not heading back to it..
Madness.
Not to mention the tyres would be shot so you have to go to the pits anyway...what was he trying to achieve..

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%