Grand Prix 4 Touring Car Championship - Season 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
but does this mean that race stuff will be overpowered now? Sure, you get sponsor money for quali, maybe. About race 3, I think it could get slightly buggy, I don't care for the extra work, most likely I'll somehow make Excel do the work for me.
But what if Ben finished 1-14, and Joel finishes 14-1? Who starts ahead?

my aim is to make the pair almost equal, at least at season start, to have varying strategies.

edit: oh, and sorry for the late reply, I was in a rush
well I look at it this way: You buy quali and hope that you don't retire and you'll get 2 great races out of it. That is how it is right now.
Under this system you can try that again, only now you hope you can make up positions in the second race as well. Less emphasis on quali for sure, but all about risk vs reward again.
those that take race have to balance it too, they want to get the maximum points available. They can rest on their laurels and hope for a race 2 result, but if they retire from even just one of those races, they're in trouble. Going for race is always riskier than a quali car, because whereas quali is mostly straightforward when out in front, there is no guarantee you will finish the race.
That is the basis of my suggestion. Every other GP4 game seems to be very quali orientated, lets have one that is closer to equal or even race orientated.

As for how to figure out race 3, well I leave that to you. Any number of ways. You can go off race 1 or race 2 results, best qualifier, fastest lap from the two races, fastest overall time from the two races combined, championship position, whatever you want.

Let me propose a crazy idea...
Let's start from fresh ( all the cars all the drivers start from the same performance value)
Then everyone starts with 500 bucks to spend.
Also reduce ai mistake probability
For race 3 maybe the grid can be decided by the fastest laps timing.

Let's start from fresh ( all the cars all the drivers start from the same performance value)
a) that gets done
b) well I don't see why that amount, the way that the basic system works is ok, I feel that championship rewards are the problem here
c) that happens all the time
d) that is fine, but I've seen in GP4 that fastest lap goes to those who are in clean air. so those at the front will end up being faster, so while it is a good idea, I don't think it'll work in the way you think it will

the AI mistakes were reduced already this season. Unless I make them 0.
no for 500, I don't want that little money to spend. But the rewards will be given before the cut-off as you guys voted, so everyone who saved money starts with 2000.

and finally, Aidan, the current way once you get up to speed, race will count too. But, by your method I think race is the only thing that will count really. You'll have to hope you start last, to start first for race 2, win and start first again for race 3. (if I use the race one results for race 3, then one DNF in race 1 would ruin your entire weekend, I don't want that, and as you said fastest laps don't quite work on this game)

and finally, Aidan, the current way once you get up to speed, race will count too. But, by your method I think race is the only thing that will count really. You'll have to hope you start last, to start first for race 2, win and start first again for race 3. (if I use the race one results for race 3, then one DNF in race 1 would ruin your entire weekend, I don't want that, and as you said fastest laps don't quite work on this game)
I get that mate, but to say once you get up to speed, race counts too: Well it doesn't help when you have a dozen laps to get past 21 other cars and find that the person ahead of you has 1HP less. So naturally you go nowhere. Quali focus is going to mean that they get quali sponsor, probably get R1, might get R2 and by that stage who cares for R3, probably get points again. This way means now we have quali focus cars get quali sponsor, probably R1, arguably won't get R2 and R3 anything can happen. If they win R1, they'll start somewhere up high in R3. That'll produce an interesting race for sure, as some quali focus cars are going to be smack bang in the middle of race focus cars, with a dozen laps to see what happens.
But the big thing here is that now instead of quali focus arguably gaining 3/4 sponsors (aggressive sponsors mind you), now they gain 2, the aggressive sponsored race focus gain two as well theoretically.

That is why I say that. All that would be left to do is to balance rewards and sponsors so it is relatively equal.

This way means now we have quali focus cars get quali sponsor, probably R1, arguably won't get R2 and R3 anything can happen. If they win R1, they'll start somewhere up high in R3. That'll produce an interesting race for sure, as some quali focus cars are going to be smack bang in the middle of race focus cars, with a dozen laps to see what happens.
But the big thing here is that now instead of quali focus arguably gaining 3/4 sponsors (aggressive sponsors mind you), now they gain 2, the aggressive sponsored race focus gain two as well theoretically.
what way? Race 2 is reversed, and what about race 3?

and really I was hoping for someone else to give some comments on this aswell.

oh, and finally, I'll be the last one to announce this now very important rule change. Tobi and Aidan already said it, you probably have heard of it already, but here goes:

Variation. It works -x to 0 to x, right? Well, not quite right. Variation like we never thought before: it makes the car go faster as you increase it (not just a chance, but it actually does every time!), and there is no negative effect.
The season being over is a blessing and a curse at the same time, I don't have to make any mid-season rule changes about variation (and sure they were needed as Vimal boudgt 60!! for both quali and race. Could this have cost him his debut win?), nor do I have to give refunds, but I will have to be the first one to make the "new" variation market. I'll test it out and see what's the best option.

we may end up increasing the value quite a bit after this aswell.

Last edited:
I think changing race 2 to the reverse grid, this way people who buy quali will maybe finish race 1 good, but then having a disadvantage for race 2. So people who buy loads of race skill, may finish low in the first race, but then having a very good chance in race 2. And for race 3 using the race results for race 2. This way people with race skill have a good chance of winning race 3 due to race 2. I think this will balance stuff out.

I think changing race 2 to the reverse grid, this way people who buy quali will maybe finish race 1 good, but then having a disadvantage for race 2. So people who buy loads of race skill, may finish low in the first race, but then having a very good chance in race 2. And for race 3 using the race results for race 2. This way people with race skill have a good chance of winning race 3 due to race 2. I think this will balance stuff out.
So you'd rather see the race 2 results become the race 3 grid?

money wise, sure. But points wise, the ones who go for race get more points that way. I prefer Aidan's idea of race 3 tbh,race still gets more points but it still brings a risk on its own in race 3, the quali guys are still there.

money wise, sure. But points wise, the ones who go for race get more points that way. I prefer Aidan's idea of race 3 tbh,race still gets more points but it still brings a risk on its own in race 3, the quali guys are still there.
If I'm not mistaking that's what we wanted right. Not having every GP4 game being based on quali skill/bhp

but at the same time we don't want a complete reversal and an unhealthy reliance on race pace. you want to be closer to equal
exactly. Perhaps giving quali guys a slight bit more money but race guys more points (from race 3)? That could get interesting near the end of the season I think.

however it still hasn't been shown enough interest by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes