GPU Requirements Triple Screen

IIRC it's possible to flash a Vega 56 with Vega 64 firmware - I don't know the details because when Vega proved to be rather underwhelming for gaming I lost interest in it ( it's extremely good for compute solutions, I just don't need any of that right now ), but I remember that tidbit. If you're going SLI/Crossfire make sure you have enough PCIE lanes to cope with that & any other bits plugged into the PCIE bus ( onboard stuff can count there ).

I'm probably going to end up with a nvidia 2080 even with freesync screens to fill in the gap between now and AMD producing something decent again.

Cheers I have an 860 watt psu. Looking at the vega 56 now!!

It's £299 @ overclockers.co.uk. I bought it when it was released last year and at the time I had no problems running it in VR or on a triple monitor setup (1920|2560|1920) . Unfortunately I sold it during the bitcoin-mining craze & bought a 1080ti for the same price... only to discover how poor (non-existent) Nvidia's driver support is for mixed monitor setups. The irony is that in most of the sim games that I own my system is cpu limited, so I can't even take advantage of the extra few fps that my 1080ti gives.

Hi everyone, David here. I'm new to the sim racing and pc gaming world. Always was a console guy. I am currently building my rig and just purchased 3 27" 144hz MSI Monitors - https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG27C on black Friday without even knowing about FreeSync & G-Sync. My GPU is Nvidia so can someone shine some light on if my computer will be able to run them at high settings or what should i do cancel them ??

Would really appreciate some help here as i don't want to buy something that wont work properly.

Here is my pc.

Cpu: i7 7700k 4.2ghz
Cpu cooler: h100i v2 corsair
Mobo: asus tuf mark 1 z270 rgb
Ram: 8gb ddr4 2400mhz corsair vengeance
Gpu: palit super jetstream gtx 1080
Hdd:4tb seagate
Ssd: m.2 toshiba 256gb
Psu: corsair cx650 modular

Thanks so much

David

My GPU is Nvidia so can someone shine some light on if my computer will be able to run them at high settings or what should i do cancel them ??

The specifications say:
Display Port: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 144Hz)
HDMI: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 120Hz)

This implies you should be able to turn off Freesync inside each monitor and successfully send a high refresh rate signal to the monitor. However, if your fps falls below the refresh rate, the monitors won't adjust to match it and you could get screen tears. Plenty of people manage without adaptive sync of any sort, so it's not a make or break situation. On the other hand, if you're highly bothered by screen tears, then cancel the order and get Gsync monitors.

The specifications say:
Display Port: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 144Hz)
HDMI: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 120Hz)

This implies you should be able to turn off Freesync inside each monitor and successfully send a high refresh rate signal to the monitor. However, if your fps falls below the refresh rate, the monitors won't adjust to match it and you could get screen tears. Plenty of people manage without adaptive sync of any sort, so it's not a make or break situation. On the other hand, if you're highly bothered by screen tears, then cancel the order and get Gsync monitors.

Oh really. Is screen tearing common and is it just because it's free sync. On a Nvidia GPU. If I have the settings on high not ultra would that help with not having it tearing.

Also is the computer powerful enough to run the 3 monitors ?

Thanks for the response

You should be fine. I run three MSI Optix Mag32CQ monitors at 2560 x 1440 (7680 x 1440) with a GTX 1080ti. I don't notice any screen tearing.
Your computer with the GTX 1080 should be able to run 5760 x 1080 without much problem, and if you need to you can turn down your graphics setting in game down from ultra to high to gain fps.

KO

You should be fine. I run three MSI Optix Mag32CQ monitors at 2560 x 1440 (7680 x 1440) with a GTX 1080ti. I don't notice any screen tearing.
Your computer with the GTX 1080 should be able to run 5760 x 1080 without much problem, and if you need to you can turn down your graphics setting in game down from ultra to high to gain fps.

KO
Thanks so much for this. I'll keep them so. Have you been running that setup for a while?? Are your rig mounted or Monitors stand any recommendations which one. I'd like the screens as close to the wheel base.

Thanks again

I've had the MSIs for a couple months now, I came from triple Dell 20" LCD 1600 x 1200 that I've had since 2005. BIG upgrade :)
I have a triple monitor stand from Fast Track Sims...Hated spending that much on the stand but it fit my needs perfectly. I can slide the stand away from me to get out of the seat and slide it up to just behind the steering wheel after I get into the seat.
I don't know if the 27" mount is the same as the 32" you may need to look for a VESA mount that has clearance for the mounting stud of the stand.

KO

Also is the computer powerful enough to run the 3 monitors ?

I currently have a GTX 1080 with a slower CPU than you have at 5760 x 1080 in Multiview. I "have all the sims" except ACC. The only one that gives me trouble is rF2 with the S397 GT3/GTE cars (turn down graphics) and when it rains (don't even bother with rain because performance is sooo bad with triple screens). Screen tearing isn't much of a problem for me.

I've had the MSIs for a couple months now, I came from triple Dell 20" LCD 1600 x 1200 that I've had since 2005. BIG upgrade :)
I have a triple monitor stand from Fast Track Sims...Hated spending that much on the stand but it fit my needs perfectly. I can slide the stand away from me to get out of the seat and slide it up to just behind the steering wheel after I get into the seat.
I don't know if the 27" mount is the same as the 32" you may need to look for a VESA mount that has clearance for the mounting stud of the stand.

KO
Thanks again man this will help alot. Super excited can you receommend which is the best game to start with

Dave

I currently have a GTX 1080 with a slower CPU than you have at 5760 x 1080 in Multiview. I "have all the sims" except ACC. The only one that gives me trouble is rF2 with the S397 GT3/GTE cars (turn down graphics) and when it rains (don't even bother with rain because performance is sooo bad with triple screens). Screen tearing isn't much of a problem for me.

Great as i was worried about them. Delighted i got great deal on the monitors on black Friday.

Cheers for the reply

Dave

I've purchased an additional 970 to Sli and intend to OC my CPU to 4.2 (3770k). I wonder will that be enough for me to run decent graphics/fps. My monitors are 1080p 75hz. Would I be able to max them out does anyone know?

I've purchased an additional 970 to Sli and intend to OC my CPU to 4.2 (3770k). I wonder will that be enough for me to run decent graphics/fps. My monitors are 1080p 75hz. Would I be able to max them out does anyone know?
For triples, you're low on GPU and will probably have to back down the graphic settings. 970 in SLI will perform about like 75-80% of a GTX 1080. As titles become more detailed, textures will become increasingly large and the 970's RAM will soon be overwhelmed. Unless you're dead set on having triples, a large single monitor or VR would probably serve you better.

For triples, you're low on GPU and will probably have to back down the graphic settings. 970 in SLI will perform about like 75-80% of a GTX 1080. As titles become more detailed, textures will become increasingly large and the 970's RAM will soon be overwhelmed. Unless you're dead set on having triples, a large single monitor or VR would probably serve you better.

Ok cheers. The second 970 was cheap and only a stopgap until I can stump up for a better single gpu after Christmas.

Ok cheers. The second 970 was cheap and only a stopgap until I can stump up for a better single gpu after Christmas.
Can second this btw. I'm on a 1070 with 8gb and overall across my games the vram usage is between 2-5 GB. Since the 970 only got 3.5gb of quick vram (Google for the debacle if you haven't yet), you might have too much gpu power for the vram size in sli.
Should be doable by reducing texture settings or graphic setting in general. You just need to keep an eye on it with some hardware monitor :)
Funnily the games vram usage isn't really what you would expect sometimes. Some games just manage it extremely well while others just fill it up without making sense!

Can second this btw. I'm on a 1070 with 8gb and overall across my games the vram usage is between 2-5 GB. Since the 970 only got 3.5gb of quick vram (Google for the debacle if you haven't yet), you might have too much gpu power for the vram size in sli.
Should be doable by reducing texture settings or graphic setting in general. You just need to keep an eye on it with some hardware monitor :)
Funnily the games vram usage isn't really what you would expect sometimes. Some games just manage it extremely well while others just fill it up without making sense!

Yeah I expect I will be ok. I think when the 3.5gb is maxed it starts to use system ram and I have 16gb so should be ok. But its slower so can cause stutter. Would really love 1440p gysync with 1080ti but im already smashed from rig and bolt ons. But cant wait either...…….

Yeah I expect I will be ok. I think when the 3.5gb is maxed it starts to use system ram and I have 16gb so should be ok. But its slower so can cause stutter. Would really love 1440p gysync with 1080ti but im already smashed from rig and bolt ons. But cant wait either...…….
First it will use the slower 0.5gb of the graphics card! :p
Afaik the moment that happens you'll already get some stuttering and when the system memory is used... It will drop!
Just keep an eye on it with openhardwaremonitor or msi afterburner or similar. You should definitely be fine. When you get stuttering you know where to look at.
Enjoy your new build man! :)

I have similar PC specs i7 3770k, 16 GB DDR3 with triple screen 5760x1080 ...and I finally decided to make the jump to the new RTX 2070 coming from a GTX690...and what a difference and massive performance increase I had by just adding the new RTX 2070 had on my old PC system.
I can now run rFactor 2's laser scanned 'Sebring' with 'Full' graphics settings and 15 cars in the Rain and get 99 -149FPS compared to my old GTX690 that was getting only 9-25FPS on low to medium graphics settings....although I did have some problems setting up the new RTX card to start with as there are some issues that needed to be sorted out with the RTX line of cards...might be something to be aware of if you decide to purchase a new nVidia RTX GPU....but all in all I am very happy with the upgrade to the RTX 2070 so far now that the card is running without any issues.
Screen shot below rF2 laser scanned Sebring with MSI Afterburner data...
6 rF2 URD T5 2018 MSI Data COPY.jpg

That's a beast of a card for sure. I have 3x Iiyama Black Hawk 1080p 75hz freesync monitors on route so I will probably jump to AMD next card to get the freesync benefits. I know very little about AMD stuff tho.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back