G29PS4 GIMX hack for DD oscillations

GeekyDeaks

Staff
Premium
In prep for GT7, I hooked my Simagic Alpha-mini up to my PS4 via a DIY GIMX adapter. The result was a little disappointing, with wild oscillations even with the car at standstill. I dumped the axis and constant force values and noticed there was a bit of a jump near the centre, probably to overcome the dead'ish zone of the G29, which I suspected might be the culprit. Unfortunately, GIMX doesn't support masquerading as any other wheel on the PS4 than the G29, so I figured I'd do the pragmatic thing and try and reverse the amplification of the constant force near the centre. EDIT: I made a real schoolboy error at the start of all this and ended up capturing and reviewing the evidence with a huge amount of confirmation bias. After properly reviewing more evidence I realised the problem is actually when the FFB changes direction, not when the wheel moves over the middle point. This mod now smooths out the FFB values as they approach zero irrespective of the axis value, not all FFB values when the axis is near zero.

It's a proper gnarly hack, but it works fairly well and makes it a lot more usable. If anyone is interested, the code for it can be picked up here: https://github.com/GeekyDeaks/GIMX/tree/g29-correction-v2 and the latest release notes with instructions here: https://github.com/GeekyDeaks/GIMX/releases/tag/v8.0-g29c.4

You have to add an extra XML node to the force_feedback section of the config profile, after which, the profile will not load back into the config GUI, so I'd recommend making a copy and editing that instead.

Example snippet:

Code:
<force_feedback>
    <device type="joystick" id="0" name="alpha feedback wheel simulator"/>
    <inversion enable="0"/>
    <gain rumble="100" constant="100" spring="0" damper="200"/>
    <g29_correction min_gain="20" range_start="1000" range_end="10000"/>
</force_feedback>

The min_gain determines the minimum % FFB gain that will be applied at the range start. The range_start and range_end define the range in which the FFB values will be smoothed out. The example values above are working pretty well for my setup.

Last edited:
Hi ,

I also having center issues when using my Simucube 2
May I know how apply your fix ? is it only added few lines under the config file ? or need the special version of GIMX ?
Thanks.

Thanks GeekyDeaks for the great fix!!! I have got your exe from GitHub

do you think you can implement the Hori Mini pad instead of the original Dual Shock 4 to start the GIMX ?
currently we need to use Drivehub + GIMX combo to support PS5.

do you think you can implement the Hori Mini pad instead of the original Dual Shock 4 to start the GIMX ?
Funnily enough I was looking at this earlier in the week. Unfortunately, I don't have access to either a Hori or a PS5, but I have been thinking about getting the Hori so I can leave everything hooked up but still use the DS4 as normal. I'm going to see if I can get a response from the gimx team first to see if this is already their approach as I don't want to duplicate the effort. It kinda depends how much I end up playing GT7 too....

First of all, thank you for your efforts.
But when I added your code,

<g29_correction min_gain="20" range_start="1000" range_end="10000"/>

It was not working on GIMX launcher.
Does any other program or way to use xml file with that code?

Ah, yeah you need the 'modified' version of GIMX. It's frowned on posting links to external downloads here as it's open to abuse, but you can find details of where to get it and some simple install instructions on my github account here: https://github.com/GeekyDeaks/GIMX/releases/tag/v8.0-g29c.4

(hopefully that link is in the spirit of the rules)
Thank you SO MUCH!! ;)

Hi geeky will this hack work on gt7 ps5 I'm using gimix and drivhub and hori pad ps4 and ps4 pad with my simucube it all works fine but get oscillations.

Hi geeky will this hack work on gt7 ps5 I'm using gimix and drivhub and hori pad ps4 and ps4 pad with my simucube it all works fine but get oscillations.
It's probably worth trying it. There are a couple of simucube users on the gimx forum that have found the hack reduces the oscillations for them. Some have reported that they still get them, but that they no longer go wildly out of control.

It's probably worth trying it. There are a couple of simucube users on the gimx forum that have found the hack reduces the oscillations for them. Some have reported that they still get them, but that they no longer go wildly out of control.
Ok thanks geeky will try your pacth have you watched the video i sent you?

Ok thanks geeky will try your pacth have you watched the video i sent you?
Not yet, but I'll take a look after work. Is there something specific in the video you want me to pay attention to?

EDIT: ok, I just watched the video. The oscillations shown are not too bad. I get way worse on my alpha mini and it has a kind of 'positive feedback' so they get bigger and bigger.

Last edited:
Not yet, but I'll take a look after work. Is there something specific in the video you want me to pay attention to?

EDIT: ok, I just watched the video. The oscillations shown are not too bad. I get way worse on my alpha mini and it has a kind of 'positive feedback' so they get bigger and bigger.
Ok so shall i just download your pacth file then mate

Hi buddy so the geeky pacth will fix osilation then and does his fix make wheel line up one to one in game
you will need to use the patch with the simucube profile from paddock, "GIMX with oscillation fix"

make wheel line up one to one in game >>> sorry not understand what is the problem

you will need to use the patch with the simucube profile from paddock, "GIMX with oscillation fix"

make wheel line up one to one in game >>> sorry not understand what is the problem
steering wheel in cockpit in game does it line up with the same rotation in simucube profile

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back