Formula W: A New Series for Female Racers Announced.

A racecar knows no difference between a penis and a vagina. The capability of the driver is what makes the difference.

Seriously, screw this idea. A gender-diverted series might make sense in other sports, but not in motorracing.

This is a completely wrong direction.

You kidding ! never mentioned women drag racers who have been World Champions for decades

Shirley Muldowney 78 is a living legend
1174a4d0d09e93c078b755f4bbcd2a05
I guess we're here to acquire knowledge...

Great if it succeeds. Some issues though like in all sports. Men usually draw bigger crowds and more eyeballs. Mostly because of the strength, aggressiveness and explosiveness which brings crazy physical talent that is fun to watch. Men also, in general, have a higher risk/reward thinking. This is not debatable either. This is biology/psychology. It goes back far in our evolution where men had to provide for and protect people, and women had to be less risky to not harm their babies/children. Risk/reward is important when it comes to sports that can kill you. Where being at the very limit of death but mastering it through skill. Like racing. Sure its much safer today so that speaks in favor for this. Again, if it succeeds, great! I sure aint against it, but it wouldnt surprise me if the audience is smaller and then the obvious harpies (who are few but loud) will come out and call it "patriarchy" and "toxic masculinity" as a cause for the smaller audience. All those childish tantrum hallmarks of rabid feminists. :D

Anyway, godspeed to the ladies. :)

Generic motorsport does not discriminate, this is ****. And it will fail by it's own height. Women now are more in racing in 10 years we will have more womans in true racing, not segregating one. Now racing series for blak people, for redhaired, and transexuals, a good idea to put barriers and ban other people to enter.
The things you need to enter in motorsports today are, talent and money, more the second than the first, not to be black/woman/ugly/gay...

The majority does not even consider Drag Racing a Motorsport lol

I just saying maybe look how they did it

Where are the junior titles in all the top Motorsports ?

They have more women champions and title holders then the rest put together

https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/nhra...eastern-conference-finals-set-bristol-dragway
https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/prit...le-2018-sam-tech-factory-stock-showdown-crown
https://www.nhra.com/news/2018/erica-enders-heads-texas-work-do-she-hunts-third-world-championship

Last edited:
As a son, husband and father of a daughter, I try to keep things in perspective without going overboard on any of these issues. I like women that drive fast cars well and I like Pit Babes that use motorsport for part of their career. If women can perform, be it in their own class or with men, and compete what's wrong with that? Remember a time when we didn't have motorsport? Sponsorship and corporate funding came along to help the gentlemen drivers develop some pretty awesome racing series over the years. You may disagree with me and that's fine. I would just like to see us keep it civil.

Here are a few of my favorites, just to name a few:

Sabine Schmitz my personal favorite:

Michele Mouton
27Michele-Mouton-01.jpg

Shirley Muldowney
hrdp_0904_01_z%2bshirley_muldowney%2bfire_burnout.jpg

Lyn St. James
hqdefault.jpg

Marie-Claude Charmasson
574f54a8799a0.jpeg

We start like this... then we'll have transgender series, gay series, lesbian series, LBGTQ+!!!! series and all sorts of ramification.

Racing is about talent and money. It just happens that women are far more less likely to enjoy racing than man. Just go to a freaking race and watch the grandstands...

I am a father of a 2 year and 9 months old daughter and she just loves racing and she says that she will be a driver one day. Of course she is just a child, but I will fully support equal conditions, not this BS

This series is utterly ridiculous. What happened to equal opportunities? Now it seemed like they want equal outcomes where most other feeder series needs the team to find their own funds while this new series is full funded for a specific gender. How is that fair?

We are dividing our own species to 2 different factions. I do not think that is good in the long run.

Very cool, I'll definitely keep an eye on the series. I wish it wasn't necessary and women would be everywhere in professional motorsports, especially F1, but there are still many barriers and biases that prevent progress of that kind to happen. Hope this will be a stepping stone for talented women to mix up the fields. Thank you for sharing the information.

• Deleted member 113561

Discrimination of men, that is how far this world has come. Actually you could probably sue them for that, as this goes against most anti discrimination laws.
There is no physical reason why a female should be less equiped to race a car.
Yes there are physical reasons. Average females are smaller, less muscular and can't endure that long. All facts. But that shouldn't be a big problem in most series.

For me, it's just like women in MMA: They need their own series to keep it fair.

Homo Sapiens has sexual dimorphism and our sporting endeavors should reflect this reality.

Very cool, I'll definitely keep an eye on the series. I wish it wasn't necessary and women would be everywhere in professional motorsports, especially F1, but there are still many barriers and biases that prevent progress of that kind to happen. Hope this will be a stepping stone for talented women to mix up the fields. Thank you for sharing the information.
It's not "bias" that's keeping teams from signing women, I can assure you.

If a team could find a female (and occasionally they do - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simona_de_Silvestro) who could turn consistent laptimes faster than a male (and then perform in races) - They would absolutely love to sign that woman for a contract. Why? Because racing is just an extension of marketing. And the publicity of a fast female driver would be priceless.

The reason females might need their own series is the same reason they don't compete with men in MMA. We aren't Orca's or some bird species: We actually have sexual dimorphism.

When You say - Talent, that means is equal to the others, no mather rase, natonality, gender, skin colour. If You set up special series or category just because they are women, use word Talent is overrated. If You are good You dont need special category, You just good to compete with others on the same level, with the same possibilities. My son drive karting and they are in race girls too, and hee is slower as 2 of this girls and must deal with that, because they are just better in this moment...And I say - way baetter. Thats I call Talent, rest is only a blind spot.

If a team could find a female (and occasionally they do - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simona_de_Silvestro) who could turn consistent laptimes faster than a male (and then perform in races) - They would absolutely love to sign that woman for a contract. Why? Because racing is just an extension of marketing. And the publicity of a fast female driver would be priceless.

The reason females might need their own series is the same reason they don't compete with men in MMA. We aren't Orca's or some bird species: We actually have sexual dimorphism.
I don't discuss with creeps who:
A) refer to women as "females"
B) deny structural, systematical bias that favors men AND makes the sport itself unappealing for most women to get into in the first place
B) and believe women can't compete with men

Dumb your garbage elsewhere please.

I don't discuss with creeps who:
A) refer to women as "females"
B) deny structural, systematical bias that favors men AND makes the sport itself unappealing for most women to get into in the first place
B) and believe women can't compete with men

Dumb your garbage elsewhere please.

So you are saying the society is patriachy? Really? There are some differences in men and women at fundamental level that has some influence on their behaviour. Rather than creating affirmative actions to cater certain gender or group of people which FW is trying to do, why is it so difficult to stick to merits? Equal outcome is not equal opportunity.

Also, there is a reason why men generally more interested in motorsports, men in generally tend to be more likely to be interested in things than people. It is also why some profession such as nursing is dominated by women because many women prefer working with people than things.

Here is a 26 pages journal describing men are likely to be interested in things, women are more likely to be interested in people: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19883140

There are plenty of fast women drivers around right now, some top level winners this year already & Kat Legge might well be IMSA GTD champion. Unsurprisingly, they seem to be happy to be treated as drivers rather than women drivers.

MMA is not remotely comparable to motorsport, it's an athletic event, not one you just need to be fit for. If women can fly fast jets like they do perfectly successfully, they can drive racing cars. You don't need to wrestle most modern cars. Women have been proving they can drive endurance races for decades. There is no job in motorsport that both genders can't do equally well, it should be a total non issue.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back