Cars Ford Transit 2005 (WIP)

Pretty good for a first attempt :) I was going to say that it looked too dark, almost smoked, but comparing your with the real ones I think the tone is pretty close. I think the difference lies in the glass in front - the real light lenses make the reflector look out of focus, more diffused. Plus, you have a sharp transition from the surround to the reflector (possibly the same lack of fuzziness through the glass.

Ooh, dangerous posting a direct side-by-side with a real one - making it too easy for everyone to see the faults! :confused::p But good points, I was hoping that the normal maps would provide that effect, but evidently not.

Not wishing to be picky, but the VRM/numberplate looks a bit off??
Either the font spacing and gap around the edge is out, or a combo? Maybe also a bit too white?
Also I think in 2005 you needed the plate printer details on there, which adds some extra non-descript details on there too.

Yep, I recently did some van renderings and did a Transit (new shape), and was fighting with Mental Ray to get this effect really nice.

It's a glossy reflection on the external plastic, but the back side (interior face) isn't smooth.
How you'll achieve this with the AC shaders on offer is another matter... hmmm.

This is where not having real geometry underneath is probably better, and a geometry that holds pre-blurred details of the light, but with the same material definitions.
That should work better.

Hmmm

Dave

Cheers for the input, always appreciate it! I'll have a look at the number plate - the shader could well need some work. Not sure about the letter spacing, it was just an overlay of a standard reg plate, but I'll check again - after all I'm modelling it on the actual EO05WJL :D Probably should add the small details at the bottom, but its not very visible on the real one in the video.

Good point on the pre-blurred geometry, I think that must be the way to do it.

How soon we can see your Ford Anglia and Transit?

You can see them now. Here:

2WC0zpjh.jpg

qI26Isbh.jpg

Last edited:
so what percent they are ready?

Hmm, very difficult to say really.

Transit - Exterior like 90% done, interior like 30-40% done (ie I basically need to redo everything). Physics 95%+ done, aero tweaks coming soon.

Anglia - Exterior maybe 75% done, not started texturing but most details done. Interior probably 30-40% too, and physics probably like 50% done, as I need a lot of suspension work as the data I have is confusing :S.

So yeah, could be a while if I do it properly.

Gary, as per numberplate, a good way to generate them is just use an online numberplate retailer who gives you relatively high res previews.
Iirc they're often in the region of 512px wide, and they are technically correct font, letter spacing, previews afaik... I forgot who I used last time I did it for my van project rendering.

But like you say maybe there is some fun in having it wrong because it's a dodgy plate haha. If the van tells a story, like cloned plates, forced locks on the rear doors etc, that might be quite cool :D

Dave

Hmm, very difficult to say really.

Transit - Exterior like 90% done, interior like 30-40% done (ie I basically need to redo everything). Physics 95%+ done, aero tweaks coming soon.

Anglia - Exterior maybe 75% done, not started texturing but most details done. Interior probably 30-40% too, and physics probably like 50% done, as I need a lot of suspension work as the data I have is confusing :S.

So yeah, could be a while if I do it properly.
Huh( i realy want to look at this car in and in this condition( If you can do an alpha test(

Huh( i realy want to look at this car in and in this condition( If you can do an alpha test(

Once the exterior and physics are done, I'm thinking of doing a closed beta for anyone who might want to make some cool videos or something (and get liveries made). I'll see closer to the time, but I'd like to keep numbers down, as its easier to manage. If you have a popular youtube channel then you are welcome to test :p

Nothing exciting, but got the remaining underside bits textured, so basically all the moving bits (struts, springs (coil and leaf, non-compressing I'm afraid, its beyond me for now), lower arms, shocks and calipers). Just disks left to do, I think.

I forgot how badly these bits were modelled, but they're not very visible so I won't be redoing them :p

Very dark pics, but hopefully its visible. Nice to not get glimpses super clean and bright springs etc, looks a bit more natural.

oeAWaLih.jpg

dGf9BMWh.jpg

DZg0R7ch.jpg

rQXvr9oh.jpg

OGBp8eAh.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements