Focusing on a Single Sim

I focus on a single car type in two different sims. The 911s in R3E and AC. Although I think R3E does a much better job in simulating the vintage 911s than what Kunos created for AC.

I agree it's difficult to switch between sims if you don't have much time to spend into them, i pretty much only play pCars2 for casual online (no time for leagues), RF2/PC2 for offline racing and RBR for rally. I have all the sims but iRacing, but the only one that has some interesting content that brings me back to it sometimes is R3E. AC, ACC and automobilista are not even more on my HDD, the first two because the phisics/FFB are different enough to need to re-learn them every time, the latter because of no VR support.

But then, i think it's also about publishers going too much all into the same direction, there are LOTS of interesting racing categories, yet no sim offers complete grids for Group C, Can-AM, supertouring, JSGT, '00 DTM, etc.
I'd like to see some free-roaming sim, something wreckfest-like, an hillclimb sim, there are LOTS of unrepresented forms of racing, i know GT track racing is obviously liked by fans, but it's also obvious that nobody really "needs" more sims having it, pCars has like 14 GT cars, rFactor 5+mods, ACC only them, etc. I think we have enough choice even if you don't like some company/sim.

As a newcomer, I have been worrying about this issue. I started asking myself if jumping around between AC, R3E, AMS, ACC and GT Sport is not hindering my development in the long term. I like them all for different reasons. I usually go through phases where I play one sim more than all others.

Last night, I rediscovered AMS single player mode and I ended up going to bed at 3h00am! :D

I have them all, well all the ones people call sims. Mainly so i could have a better understanding of each so when i am getting called a 'troll' i can say that i have them all and play them all, but God forbid have a favorite one...
I know....shocking right? I have a favorite sim....
And even better it wasn't even made by a dev!!
Well the 'base' game was...but the rest of it not.....

I find them all pretty easy to switch between. AC with the mods and shaders patch and sol has got me obsessed though.
Any free time is mainly spent in Content manager mainly hot lapping.
iRacing is the only one i don't play anymore simply because of time constraints.... £10 or whatever a month is cheap...if you play it.... but pointless expense if you don't.
I will dive back into iRacing at some point though, i did love it.
Choice paralysis is real though.... just picking a sim to go on is hard enough then you have which car then which track!
Either way i can kill time happily with any of them.
Just wish the community would grow up a bit and stop with this tribal ****.... it's not brexit!!!

No one has ever asked me to pick one game to play for the rest of my life and pledge alligence to it and to slag off all others... so not sure why some people act like they have...

The amount of choice can be dizzying. Do you choose the GT cars that Studio397 are focusing on or are you more into the GT cars Kunos are focusing on. Then there is the choice way out of left field in iRacing where they tend to focus more on GT cars instead :roflmao:
Don't forget that PCARS 2 has gone a different route and offers a great choice of GT cars! Don't deprive people of choice.

If you could swap every single day your hardware wheel with which you intend on sim-racing with completely different models, wouldn’t that totally scramble your driving, making impossible for you to get consistent results?

Why would it? This implies that we're some kind of machines designed to do one thing and nothing else and I think this article offers a very pessimistic view of something that's actually fantastic: that there's a lot of variety in simracing right now.

And I don't even know how could someone believe that doing something else would hinder your ability to do something lol I like pizza and I eat more things, that doesn't diminish my ability to enjoy it. If you go to the gym and exercise your abs, then your chest, is that bad for your abs? of course not. My native tongue is Spanish, did learning English hinder my skills in Spanish? no, you can even learn as many languages as you want at the same time. Getting good at something depends on the ammount of effort you dedicate to the specific thing not on the number of things you're doing at the same time.

I think the opposite of what is mentioned is actually true, if you're practicing for a race in sim A and you go play and learn some sim B with different physics, wheel, etc.Then you go play sim A again, you will get better at both or at the very least you sure will not get worse at any. The brain is able to learn as many things as you want, it's not some hard drive where you would overwrite your knowledge in sim A by playing sim B.

In my humble opinion people should hop around between sims however much they like. It won’t make you slower or worse at another sim. Besides you are robbing yourself at another nice experience. Don’t ruin the fun for yourself by trying to tunnel one sim, car or track, as you will only burn yourself out.
Comparing it with different wheels, is comparing apples to oranges.

It is pretty difficult to write my opinion about the topic without doing any kind of comparisons why I think some sims are better than others.

I think the main reason I don't play certain games is because they either are just bad experience even if some bits are excellent or just because there is something in there I really dislike. Or something is missing that I really like. In iracing I dislike the physics and the waiting for races to start. If I want to race skippy I don't want to wait an hour or plan my evening around it. While it has car skinning it is not enough moddability wise and the monthly fee keeps me out during those moments when I feel I could give it a go. Raceroom on the otherhand feels very rfactor1-like to drive and does not even have skinning. Pricing is very unattractice and feels wrong. The only draw is the excellent car selection and loong list of tracks. Just doesn't do what I want.

I think the first sim I would like to play more but don't is automobilista. It has such fine track selection and the cars are very fun to drive. It does not have the variety of ac but it definitely has its own type of content. I think the reason for me not playing is lack of modding and dead online. If I start ams and drive a car I can easily spend hours and then afterwards mention about it to everyone who gets too close. But for some reason I just don't play it. Maybe it is the limited online user numbers. I really like two things in my sims. Racing and modding and while racing against good ai can be pretty fun it just is not as good as against with people. With real people you don't restart everytime you make a mistake (unless you are gamermuscle!) so the racing feels more engaging.

Maybe I have cornered myself into the small niche inside sim racing and only way to get into something different is to give up something. But just like with sims I don't really like playing multiple games at the same time. As such I very much disagree with the idea that one should or even could buy all sims and play them all for their strengths. Some sims just feel that their strengths are either not relevant for me or are not even strengths at all. It is not like I feel like I have to make a choice. It is that I can and I'm happy that there is at least one I can play. I've been sim racing a long time and there have been periods when there is nothing interesting out there for years.

Yes, i have AC, ACC,rf,rf2,F1 codemaster 2014...19,R3E
But by now the only i have installed into my HDD are AC and ACC, for AC i do not use mod (i have RSS,VRC,URD pay mod buy)...by now i use ACC "stock" install with all the official DLC.
I prefer focus my mind into one only games and play it very well.
I like see my lap-time become more fast day by day and feel the different from different car.
I like GT3 cars for endurance race, and in AC i play 3h race whit AI ad I enjoy .... in ACC too!

Its a good problem to have. If AC was the only one in the market, I'd be sent to the mental hospital from all the GT3@SPA. I basically browse all sims for a populated cool combo.

We can also approximate the experience between them by choosing correct FOV and mapping the same things to the same keys and buttons. The differences in physics are abstract, much like driving cars with different characteristics. You get on with it.

But if you want to compete and win, you do need this sort of dedication and to surround yourself with other talented drivers, assuming you have the time and financial support.

i enjoy Raceroom, and their business model is better, compared to Iracing, handling goes well. But its only for online for me.

AC1 wins in basically every category, i just got ACC but thats a long way from being the game everyone wants it to be.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back