Focusing on a Single Sim

This topic is pure gold! :thumbsup:

It‘s exactly the problem I have for months now. I‘m jumping between all those sims, because all of them are having its pros and cons, for me there is no sim who’s standing out really. AC with its sandbox design and modding is awesome, R3E with its official content of german racing series, rf2 physics & rain, automobilista with its awesome cars, DR2 and finally ACC which is getting stronger and stronger in every aspect but sadly no multiclass racing. On top switching between offline and online racing is making it a hard time for me to choose from all those options often, experiencing „testing“ one sim against another just to proof my decision was right or false that time. :O_o: Sounds weird but thats quite the dynamic I personally came into, especially with little time to spend. I wouldn‘t say that I‘m not having fun, but it is indeed frustrating as you could race 24/7 with all this great content available.

Last edited:
I'm a "Fanboy" of all the Sims I own (generally just drive VR supported Sims these days though), I tend to pick whichever one tickles my fancy at the time I boot up the PC. I certainly don't see any problem with hopping from one to another, when I pick one up that I havn't driven in a while it doesn't take long to get used to the way it feels and I'm soon back "on pace" so to speak. If I had more free time then yeah one would get more time over the others, but as time is precious I don't see a reason to do that with what little time I have at the PC.

Of course the choice we have is outstanding these days, each Sim has it's strengths and its weaknesses but I look past the problems and enjoy each one for their good points in their own right. It's certainly not just a Golden Age of Sim Racing in my eyes but also a Golden Age of Gaming as well I think, if anything when I look at my Steam List there's too much choice and nowhere near enough time to enjoy all the games...let alone all the Sims!

As a member wrote before, this topic is pure gold ! :inlove:

Well... I began "simulations" on a Amiga 500 with "Geoff Crammond Grand-Prix" using a joystick "Gravis" ! ^^
After and obviously It has been on PC (486DX2 66) and passion never dies with a constant evolution on my PC and wheels.
It stills a lot of my hobby time today, after a loooong period on "Grand-Prix Legends" and with it, I learnt humility, I got desperate moments, but with a huge intensity and pure thrilling moments !

I bought all the famous simulations during last around 30 years (Whoooaaa), It stills a passion generated by mechanical and engineering ways first, obviously motor sounds are very important to me.

Anyway I can't play both "simulations" at the same time !
During last years, I alternated between rally (my most favorite driving by the way) with "Dirt Rally" and "Assetto Corsa" for tracks, even if I bought other simulations and got a few moments with it... by pure passion again and curiosity !
I'm not a "fanatic" of any simulation, I will not fight about "the best is", not my way !

During one period I will stay focused on Rally and after It will be more on pure tracks, I have to adapt again my handling each time.

Cheers and thank you again for this very interesting topic ! :thumbsup:

GPL (childhood sentiment, I wish there was a follow-up GPL2 in VR :sneaky:
Rfactor 2 S397 (my favorite sim to go psygics..., psygics..., psygics....,)
AMS.. (same like Rfactor2 can drive the whole day)
Raceroom experience VLN multiclass Nordschleife..

which I don't use much
AC... sometimes I play but the crazy ffb psygics, maybe I must try another wheel?
ACC.. candy eye sim...but is not finished yet.

And Racedepartment, for everyday nice people and forum news. Love this community. @ Paul Jeffrey
with all his dedication :thumbsup:

Between all the sim i already played: ACC, AC, PC2, LFS, RaceRoom, my first choise is Rfactor 2. Me and my dad spend good hours playing together. He even bought a g29 (came from a driving force pro that we bought long time ago to play gt3 on ps2 heheh). A 62 year old gamer hehehehe.

I own every single track in RRE and every just about every single car. I rarely fire it up anymore but now with the release of the Group C cars and the 964 I may. I used to race AC every single day. Now that ACC has come, I rarely pick it up unless I want to take a an actual road car to Hell.

I think MOD's honestly is what keeps a SIM interesting. One make SIM's are also great because you know you wont see an ADAC car mixed in with LM or IMSA cars. Same for the F1 series. I love what direction Kunoz has taken. I only hope they get licensing for the European GT4 Championship.

I used to really enjoy the heck out of '24 Hours of Le Mans' on the Sega Dreamcast. I once did a 6 hour event with compressed time ticked on. You could actually select a real time race if you wanted too. Gran Turismo is the SIM that started it all for me though.

With one make race SIM's you are almost guaranteed to see every official livery, car and track. With 'Jack of all Trades' not so much. I still remember the old TOCA days. I was probably the only American in 100mi who liked those cars.

I race a different SIM every weekend aside from RR sponsored events. Right now since it's Spring may main is iRacing. I think in May when the season rolls over I will be a Ferrari GT3 Challenge guy until September =o).

I own all of these or had them:

• Pole Position
  • F-Zero
  • TOCA
  • 24 Hours of Le Mans
  • Gran Turismo 1 - 3
  • Tourist Trophy
  • World Superbike 2007, 2010 & 2011
  • Moto GP '06 - '15
  • GTR
  • GTR Legends
  • Forza 1-6
  • Race 07
  • R Factor
  • F1 1999 - 2001, 2006, 2009 - 2011, 2016 - 2017.
  • Race Room
  • RIDE 1 - 3
  • Simraceway
  • iRacing
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione

Stand Alone SIM's I want

• IMSA Weathertech Sports Car Championship (including GT4) 20**
  • Ferrari Challenge 20**
  • McLaren 570S Cup
  • World Endurance Championship 20**
  • World Super Bike Championship 20**

It's really a golden era for sim racers ;)
sims.jpg

I took the 911 GT3 Cup car in iRacing for a few laps at imola last week. Before I knew it I'd clocked up 30 laps and lost an hour of my life. Time well spent indeed. Its got me thinking about this week's circuit and if I'll be able to find another hour...

I race AC & iR; no difficulty going between them other than the few minutes to get used to different dynamics - I have rF2 also but I've never liked the feel of it. I have pcars2 & Raceroom installed also but I can't call either sims, they are a fun experience for a bit though, just like Wreckfest is.

iRacing is really starting to show it's age these days, sadly. I have to agree with whoever posted that all the sims have something that really annoys them - but there is another issue and that's the near future. Let's look at the big ones:

* rFactor2's physics were never finished - I haven't kept track of ISI but what are the chances of a successor? I would think there'd be noticeable excitement at any scrap of news. Same as iRacing, you can't just keep plastering makeup on forever.
* iRacing: old, creaking at the seams and development is *glacially* slow. There comes a point you can't patch up a mess any further, you have to start clean; until there's a challenger to the whole platform rather than just the sim part then nothing much is going to happen. Even if it did I can't imagine how long iRacing2 would take with their development speed.
* Kunos: AC is terminated, ACC has extremely limited and predictable scope as the SRO's esport platform, and also hasn't been finished so we don't know if it'll even be any good long term. I believe it will, personally. I don't much like GT3 myself - GT4s would be nice & quite likely to happen I'd imagine, but that is not a lot of variety still.

So, one platform being built, the two others being milked as long as they can. Like 2014-2017 LMP1, we should make the most of this era.

Personally I like and have all of them...being a hoarder of Sims, once I purchase them 'they can never leave'...LOL... I still have GT Legends, GTR2 on my system and fire them up on occasions and like to have all of the Sims at my fingertips when the mood strikes as this is the way I really enjoy my Sim Experience.
It's maybe like having a great Art collection, each painting has a different feel and emotion attached to it.:D...that's my take on having all the Sims.

I have all them, like and played all them but now I just focus on iracing for several reasons.

Continues to add new features to the base engine.
Covers the most racing deciplines.
Offers both tarmac and loose surface physics
Very populated mp with ranking system
Excellent vr performance and runs well on my ancient PC i5 3570k with gtx 970 ssc

A father of 2 and working full time to support a family along with my multiple hobbies I have very little time or money to put into videos games, let alone continually drop money on upgrading my system just to run the latest sim cause they added a new graphics engine or feature.

Much rather put my money towards RL experiences than virtual :)

I dont know if this is just me, but i find myself getting sim overload sometimes. I would turn on my rig and sit and try to decide which i want to play ( i have them all besides iracing ) and end up playing nothing because i cant choose. lately I find myself playing AMS a lot less though because of lack of VR. I remember a year ago, I would laugh at people who said no VR no buy. And call them elitists. But after going all out on my new rig ( 2080ti - 9700k - samsung odyssey+ ) I find myself leaning more towards VR titles. With that being said, I find the most enjoyment out of rf2 lately. For whatever reason it now performs the best in vr. AC and raceroom are great too, but RF2 has a better image quality in vr and the latest content just feels fantastic.

I get the same thing with mods, cars, skins, misc. updates

Work out how long to drive all car and track combos in AC before you you even get to modding
Yet people barely use that content online

Thing I wish is more sims were like iRacing and Raceroom

I like to gorge myself obsessively on one sim at a time until my eye sight deteriorates, my ears bleed, I'm full to the brim and I can't sleep properly because of the flashbacks. Bloated and exhausted I'll then move on to the next one. I just can't seem to find the exit door at the all you can eat restaurant, and whenever I get close they go and refresh the menu with mods and content. I'm trapped. Please help. I don't even know what food I like anymore :D

Come on, I know I'm not the only one?

In the past I mostly focused on AC and accumulated 2000+ hours. Nowadays, with less time overall and more options thanks to more useful hardware, my choice of sim to drive depends on what content I want to drive - If there is a specific piece of content I'll use the sim that does it best imo, else I usually go by what I want to do:

Hotlapping/Cruising - Assetto Corsa
Offline Racing - rFactor 2 & Automobilista
Online Racing - iRacing
Everything GT3 - ACC (when fully released)

What's that?
FCY = full coarse yellow ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back