Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Kubica 3.jpg

Formula One testing concluded today at the Hungaroring, with a fastest time for Sebastien Vettel and a show stopping performance from none other than Robert Kubica.

With the second and last day of in season testing concluding in sweltering conditions yet again, it would be the championship leading combination of Sebastien Vettel and Ferrari who would end the day with the most satisfaction, topping out the times across the two days of running and recording another 100 laps between both championship leader Vettel and the evergreen Kimi Räikkönen.

F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Vettel.jpg

Sharing driving duties throughout the day, Vettel would wind up just under three tenths of a second ahead of probably the most impressive driver of the test, British youngster and 2016 McLaren BRDC Driver Award winner Lando Norris, making his Formula One debut behind the wheel of the McLaren Honda car and impressing all present with his mature, and incredibly fast performance in the often reluctant orange cars.

F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Norris.jpg

Norris would complete a respectable 91 laps on his way to second place, rounding out the day just under half a second clear of the Räikkönen in third, and a further seven tenths up on the man who perhaps all eyes have been trained on throughout the day, Formula One returnee and fan favourite Robert Kubica in the Renault.

F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Kubica 2.jpg

Kubica would be having his first taste of a contemporary Formula One car since his near career ending accident in 2011, and would prove very little of his steely determination and outright pace have been diminished in his time away from the sport.

Clocking up an impressive 142 laps throughout the eight hours of running in Hungary, Kubica has gone a long way towards proving the driver is capable of putting himself in contention for a race seat heading into the 2018 season.

Confirming no ill effects from his injuries presented themselves during the day of running, and confirming everything is physically in order to allow him to once again compete at the pinnacle of world motorsport, Kubica did express a certain level of dissatisfaction of his performance during the test session, confirming that despite running with strong pace and consistency throughout the weekend, more is still to come from the winner of the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix.

When asked by reporters if he was satisfied with his performance out on track, Kubica warned against getting to excited at such an early stage of his recovery programme;

"Yes, but not 100 percent happy.. The biggest difference is this car has nothing similar or same as the cars I have been testing lately.

“When you have so many things that are different, it normally takes a bit of time to adapt.

“Coming here, actually Nico Hulkenberg said the same, that once I will be able to drive here, probably I’ll be able to drive everywhere.

"You can predict it wasn’t easy, which I’m not hiding, but it was good. I could drive, I think, tomorrow easily so fitness level is good, which is a good sign.
Kubica would give plenty of food for thought throughout the paddock with his performances today, well and truly opening up the door to a potential return to the grid for the 2018 season.

F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Auer.jpg

Other drivers looking to lay down a marker for 2018 would be Lucas Auer in the Force India, once again getting seat time with the Silverstone based team and performing admirably in the pink car he shared with Russian Formula Three driver Nikita Mazepin, lapping the track in 1.19.242 to end the morning running on 49 laps and seventh in the times, some four tenths up on his car share partner Mazepin, who concluded the test for the team during the afternoon session.

F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Russell.jpg

Sitting between the two Force India youngsters would be George Russell in the Mercedes car, concentrating on longer runs than his immediate rivals and completing his program of work with a solid 90 laps under his belt, further adding to his Grand Prix experience alongside his current GP3 campaign.

F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Ferrucci .jpg
F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Ghiotto.jpg

Highly rated Frenchman Pierre Gasly would once again take the reigns of the Red Bull, making a solid 107 laps of the track as the Austrian team overcame their reliability issues from day one, beating Williams debutant Ghiotto by just under a tenth of a second. Haas F1 test and reserve driver Santino Ferrucci would follow up yesterday's running with more valuable time behind the wheel of an F1 can and Sauber debutant and F2 race winner Nobuharu Matsushita would round out the timesheets in 13th, almost five seconds adrift of the pace setting Ferrari.

F1 Hungary Test Day 2 - Matsushita.jpg
F1 Testing Day 2 - Times.jpg

If you missed it yesterday, don't forget to check out our Day One review HERE.

For more from the world of Formula One racing, check out our Formula One sub forum and involve yourself with the community today!

What do you think of the performance from Kubica and Renault? Can the Polish driver really secure a fairy tale return to F1? Is Lando Norris really THAT good? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Yea, there so many good young drivers out there that they should get a chance in a competitive car. I hope to see new faces in 2018 with chances for championship points.

Are there no young American drivers ready for Formula 1? Would be nice to see at least one...Haas, you call yourself an American team but why not give an American driver a chance?..lol

“Coming here, actually Nico Hulkenberg said the same, that once I will be able to drive here, probably I’ll be able to drive everywhere.

Really? Let's put you at Texas Bobby. #getoveryourself

I predict Bobby will get a ride. Not because of a rich Daddy or a sponsor, but because he brings more...a massive bank return for F1 and a proven record that, at least in his prime, was stunning. I still say you can smell and feel fast drivers in person. I was not a fan when I saw him at Spa, but he was just too good to ignore, at least to the trained eye.

So true about the talent that is wasted because of politics and money. F1 never had the corner on featuring "the best drivers" as that's strictly an IndyCar claim. Ask Fernando. But I will admit that "the best road course driver in open wheel" is about their speed.But even that is in jeopardy, since talent is not getting through in F1. I think it's time for some serious competition, and not just from overseas.

But to the point, I'd love to see Bobby back. Palmer is making alternate plans about right now. lol.

Another interesting thing here, is the money Renault put in a possible comeback from Kubica.
its a beautiful story, the guy is still very very fast with one and half an arm.(right foot still working very well apparently )
i'd love to see him at Monza in the RS 17 , Daddy Palmer has paid until Spa for Junior.
So Kubica cannot join Renault before Monza.

Reactions: Rob
Great to see kubica back where he belongs. I want him to win everything!

get this palmer papoose out Mr Abitboul please...
he does not have the required level.
and give to this RS17 a real driver with titanium balls, someone who gave a lot to motorsport racing, someone who deserve to be in the car.
someone called Robert "****ing fast " Kubica.

ps: i hope this "halo thing" will not cause some problem to him, he have to perform an extract from the car in less than 5 seconds.
it will be harder for him with the Halo.

excuse my english guys

Think Palmer, Magnusson, Kvyatt are all clenching a bit harder?

Not K-Mag. They confirmed he will be back next year. Haas is not stupid when it comes to drivers, and they pay them. Complain all you want about Ferrari, but they will always have my respect for their choice of driver. Other teams could well learn, instead of scooping up their rejects like the second coming. (Dear Fernando: You are forever a Champion, and get a pass).

I think I'm more impressed by Lando Norris. A rookie splitting the experienced Ferrari drivers in a Mclaren! Someone sign him now! :confused:
Yeah he is great, always in front in F3 atm. I just wanted to make sure you know, that the ferraris probably didn't go for fast laps but tried out new stuff :D But yeah he is a great guy and would deserve a cockpit. Norris and Leclerc really do. Hope Leclerc gets a seat next year.

I'd love to see Robert back and I think this will happen soon :)

Lando Norris though, incredible performance, I just have a great hopes that someone will give him a contract for 2018...

my god, Kubica in 1'18"500 :confused:
that is the time Palmer did on qualifs, saturday afternoon....with better conditions than Kubica , cooler conditions for palmer.

quite amazing after being seven years retired from F1.
he is already as fast as Palmer...:O_o:
he did use ultrasofts. on the same tyre he was 5 tenths slower . Having said that his potential is clearly better than Palmer in better conditions such as qualifyiny like you said. also this is a physical track.

Never heard of Lando Norris before this weekend. But the fact that he beat both Vandoorne (comprehensively) and Alonso's Q3 times shows the kid has a future. 17 years old and then go as fast as that. In a McLaren ffs. New Verstappen? Or Raikkonen (who also went straight to F1 from F3).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back