Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Testing - Santino Ferrucci .jpg

Formula One continued beyond the Grand Prix weekend on Tuesday, with all 11 teams in attendance at Budapest.

Not unlike the recent Hungarian Grand Prix it was Ferrari on top at the end of the day of running, however it would be a new name in the form of Italian up and coming GP2 driver Charles Leclerc who would be behind the wheel of the scarlet machine on this occasion.

F1 Testing - Charles Leclerc .jpg

Leclerc would be making his 2017 Ferrari debut on Tuesday and put in a composed performance behind the wheel of the championship leading SF70H, topping out the times just under a tenth of a second ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne in the McLaren and a further nine tenths up on Mercedes Hungarian Grand Prix podium finisher Valterri Bottas in P3.

Bottas running almost a full second away from the front running pace can be explained away by his involvement in Pirelli 2018 tyre testing duties, with the Finnish star engaging in a substantial workload as Mercedes clocked up over 100 laps each for both Bottas and junior driver George Russell. Russell would also be finding himself in a 2017 specification Formula One car for the very first time in Hungary, completing a trouble free programme of work on his way to securing the fourth best time, just under half a second behind his more experienced team leader for the day.

With Felipe Massa still suffering from the effects of his Hungarian Grand Prix weekend illness, Lance Stroll would be called up to the Williams team on Tuesday, completing plenty of running in something of a hybrid FW40 in Hungary. With the once great British team struggling for podium challenging pace this season, Chief Technical Officer Paddy Lowe has confirmed the team are running some fairly dramatic technical enhancements during the two day test:

"There are some fairly significant bits that we're trying," said Lowe. "We're doing some interesting bits of R&D. Some are relevant for this year, but some are things we need to learn and understand for next year. There's some important work going on, actually.

"It's a set of experiments, that's the best way to put it, which is how we always conduct our testing. Where that leaves us in terms of what we take racing is a downstream consideration."
Stroll would have a reasonably uneventful day in the Williams car on his way to fifth in the final timesheets, clocking in a mammoth 137 laps and ending the day 2.1 seconds down on the pace setting Ferrari team.

F1 Testing - Nikita Mazepin  Force India.jpg

Next up on the scoreboard would be Force India F1 rookie Nikita Mazepin, making his first appearance for the Force India team as the Russian takes time out of his European Formula Three season to share driving duties with another Formula One rookie - Mercedes DTM driver and two time DTM race winner Lucas Auer, who would end the day seven tenths down on his co driver on Tuesday in ninth positon.

F1 Testing - Nicholas Latifi .jpg

Settling in between the two Force India drivers would be Renault test driver Nicholas Latifi in seventh, and Indonesian F2 racer Sean Gelael, who suffered a fractured day of running as track time was cut short with various technical issues on his Toro Rosso car. Despite a difficult time earlier in the day, Gelael would concentrate on longer runs in the afternoon and eventually wrap up running with the sixth highest total of laps courtesy of 100 tours of the hot and dusty Hungaroring track.

F1 Testing - Santino Ferrucci  Haas.jpg

Haas’s American test driver Santino Ferrucci would end up in tenth position with 101 laps to his name, ending the day ahead of a troubled Max Verstappen in 11th position and F2 racer Gustav Malja last of all in the Sauber car.

F1 Testing - Gustav Malja .jpg

Testing continues tomorrow, where fan favourite Robert Kubica continues his comeback attempt with the Renault team.

F1 testing times - Tuesday.jpg

For more from the world of Formula One racing, check out our Formula One sub forum and involve yourself with the community today!

Impressed with any of the drivers in today's test? Looking forward to Kubica in a modern car, running an official session, for the first time since his accident? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Why on Earth are Renault persisting with Robert Kubica??
A first class driver in his day but to be frank he's too old.
I admire his courage and determination but I have more than a suspicion that this 'return' is a PR exercise for Renault that will go nowhere, much as we would like it to.

I admire his courage and determination but I have more than a suspicion that this 'return' is a PR exercise for Renault that will go nowhere, much as we would like it to.
Back in his day he was the man to watch ,
I agree , I wanted to win and his racing was top class ,
maybe the guy his still fast ,
but like I said last week when this was mentioned ,
these drivers are animals and there fitness is 110% rock solid ,
over a full GP weekend , this is needed , maybe the guy can do 20-30 laps at fast pace ,
but 100,s ?

What a hell has just happened here:

f1-hungaroring-august-testing-2017-robert-kubica-renault-sport-f1-team-rs17.jpg

:confused::alien:

C'mon... the guy has just recover from one accident... oh you people... :cautious::x3:
Where's Magnussen now ? He was right after all... Hulk is really a bully !!! :roflmao:

edit:
You can even see a video of this tiny incident - on https://twitter.com/F1
DGNpPI1WsAASLz5.jpg

Last edited:

Really a 32 year old Robert Kubica is too old same age as Lewis Hamilton but a 36 year old Fernando Alonso & 37 year old Kimi Raikkonen is fine :whistling:

Makes sense :laugh:

R. Kubica
Lap Time 1:18:952
Laps 121

mmm?

So 1st day in the car ever and just under 0.5 behind Palmer's qualifying pace? Yeah he's ****ed is Jolyon :laugh:
...and it aint over yet :) :laugh:

we have to take 2 things in consideration,
+ the heat, there is now waaay hotter then on Saturday, its 38 degC,
- he is on ultra soft. I think they didn`t use this compound whole weekend.

That lap was Supersofts. He is now on ultra's and gone quicker 1:18.572

The sky blog suggest he was on Supersofts for that lap :)

Also he's done a 1.18.572 but doesn't say which tyres.

Kubica 4th fastest with hardly the best car on the grid, and he drove the equivalent of 2 GP's in terms of laps.

Guys, I think this could really happen. If it does, this will be the happiest F1 fan on the planet who lives outside of Poland.:)

What an amazing comeback story it would be for all the people out there who have suffered serious injuries and subsequent disability.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 298 13.4%