F1 steering wheel replica - Mercedes-Benz Petronas AMG 2013

The design is finally finished!
Presenting my steering wheel replica of the Mercedes-Benz Petronas AMG 2013 team. The project took about 1.5 years. It's hybrid of a Hamilton's and Rosberg's versions (for those who are in the topic :)). It includes complete electronics.
Short specification:
- SIMR-F1 display;
- 16x pushbuttons;
- 5x rotary swtich
- 2x rotary encoder (ratio 1:1);
- 2x analog potentiometer
- DSD adapter
- kit weighs - 986g (including adapter and cable)

Cheers

Im very well aware that CF is conductive. What does that have to do with anything ? you afraid of a little 110v ? :laugh:

CF dust in the light wall socket ? is that a joke or something ?

Ive Also had CF sliver's before when working on my Many grades of CF ive played with over the years, Pre Preg from Boring, Twill, plain and Uni directional from Bristol AeroSpace, Also got to play with a bunch of kevlar impregnated stuff...., and OMG what do you know, I STILL have all my fingers....lol

At least Wicked looked at what i've built and realized im not some Joe blo who spews BS on the forum.

PS speedfr sorry for the derailment, but when some one tried to scare a user with false info, i tend to speak up.

Upvote 0
hi Moxley6969, i would like to say sorry for all the false information regarding what i have said in my post, obviously moxley6969 has not seen the issues caused by carbon fibre, i have so it must be misinformation. moxley can i ask you a question, when you work with cf how do you sand it ? do you use protective gear ? if you do why ?. oh and by the way i still have all my fingers as well but i know the person that has lost his. just because somebody has not seen the effect, does not mean its not true.
you also say your well aware that cf is conductive, how many people are not aware

Upvote 0
Been cutting and playing with Real CF for years.....Your All Taking things WAY too seriously. Fiberglass is also not exactly healthy for you, but Trust me. your reading into thing's a wee much. ;)
Ah you know how Uni works eh. They teach you to be overly cautions. Much like how we had to do math for even the simplest things, things you'd just eye-ball in real life. Thats how school works haha.

Anyway ,not saying it's bullshit, but probably very unlikely, but that said, people have died from the weirdest , rarest things.

Upvote 0
Ah you know how Uni works eh. They teach you to be overly cautions. Much like how we had to do math for even the simplest things, things you'd just eye-ball in real life. Thats how school works haha.

Anyway ,not saying it's bullshit, but probably very unlikely, but that said, people have died from the weirdest , rarest things.
just wish i was old enough for uni

Upvote 0
This is just stunningly beautiful, I do not know what to say.
I am in the Design Phase of making my own W04 wheel, but I never hoped to get ner to the real thing. Yours is just fantastic - very professional.
If I May ask, how exactly did you do it? Did you ''just'' construct the body from wood and send it to a professional carbon factory?
Also, which pushbuttons did you use and how did you design the shifter mechanism?
Thanks, Mirco

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Mirco Hußmann

You are correct buddy! I couldn't afford CNC cutting, so I did wooden model by myself. Than had to finish the surface 'as mirror'. Finally I've send it to carbon factory. I'd love to do it by myself, but I don't even have any garage. So I don't have space for propper stuf.
At least I used a tactile switches as pushbuttons. Here in Poland, I bought THT switches - MEC3FTL6. They are very high quality ones and gives a really good feeling. What's more there's another construction under the front panel, which supports buttons.
Shifter mechanism is quite simple, and works perfectly. There's one axis in the middle, which allows flap to rotare. There are pushbuttons on both of sides of the flap, with additional spring for harder resistance. Try do it as simple as possible, preserving the original shape of it. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back