F1 steering wheel replica - Mercedes-Benz Petronas AMG 2013

The design is finally finished!
Presenting my steering wheel replica of the Mercedes-Benz Petronas AMG 2013 team. The project took about 1.5 years. It's hybrid of a Hamilton's and Rosberg's versions (for those who are in the topic :)). It includes complete electronics.
Short specification:
- SIMR-F1 display;
- 16x pushbuttons;
- 5x rotary swtich
- 2x rotary encoder (ratio 1:1);
- 2x analog potentiometer
- DSD adapter
- kit weighs - 986g (including adapter and cable)

Cheers

Looks absolutely stunning.

How much did it cost you in components? I've been thinking about doing something similar myself (but with a GT rim) But I am not sure how technical one needs to be to put something like this together. I know very little about electronics.

Upvote 0
Yet again Seeedfr absolutely stunning, Hats off !!
is this your only replica your building or are you going to do more ?
next to that, do you have your own machines to compress or do vacuum Carbon pressing ?

Greetings
Cloudini5

Upvote 0
was wondering as well , is that carbon layed up with resin , or prepreg and baked in an oven??

any pics of the actual carbonparts being made??

verry nice work!!

Upvote 0
@Cloudini5 - so far it's the only one, BUT I'm thinking bout some next (maybe even commercial ones) version. Ofcourse W06/W07 style. I don't have vacuum ect. It would generate enormous production costs. I did the wooden matrix of main body and gearshift flap (handmade, no CNC), and send them to the carbon fiber company. It was the cheapest way of crafting this beauty :)
@Johand - the main body, and the gear shift flap are prepregs baked in an oven. on the other hand I did the clutch flaps by myself. I've bough 3mm carbon fiber plate, than cut propper shapes and glue them with resign.

Upvote 0
@Johand - I paid about ~1600zł (~370€) for the main body and gearshift flap:)

@Azfalt Racer - thank you! so far i'm not sure if any commercial version is goin to appear :) if so, my speculations are 1000€ - 1100€ (all electronic included) ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Seeedfr, beautiful wheel you have made, i just have 1 word of caution, please be very careful when using carbon fibre. the problem is that if a splinter enters through your skin you will not be able to remove it, it is like very fine strands of fishing hooks and it will eventually enter your bloodstream and can possibly stick in your heart. i am a compound archer, i use carbon arrows and i have known people who have had to have fingers and hands removed to save their life. so please be carefull, as i said i love your wheel but want you to be safe. a lot of people do not know the dangers of carbon fibre. sorry for the miserable post .

Upvote 0
Hi Seeedfr, beautiful wheel you have made, i just have 1 word of caution, please be very careful when using carbon fibre. the problem is that if a splinter enters through your skin you will not be able to remove it, it is like very fine strands of fishing hooks and it will eventually enter your bloodstream and can possibly stick in your heart. i am a compound archer, i use carbon arrows and i have known people who have had to have fingers and hands removed to save their life. so please be carefull, as i said i love your wheel but want you to be safe. a lot of people do not know the dangers of carbon fibre. sorry for the miserable post .

Lol I call BS on the surgical removal of limbs.

Upvote 0
Lol I call BS on the surgical removal of limbs.
If Carbon Fiber is anything like Glassfiber, it's infact very dangerous.
When I studied Mechanical Engineering we worked with some fiberglass. It required us to suit up in white plastic suites, wear masks that covered nose mouth and eyes., gloves, boots.

Because the particles that come off sawing fiberglass are like tiny spears, incredibly small. If you breath in those they get stuck in your lungs, and unlike dust, you can't cough them out. They can cause serious breathing issues.

Fiberglas can also get in your blood if you cut yourself on it after it's freshly sawn, which is super dangerous, however, very unlikely to happen if you wear proper protection. I never heard of anybody had to amputate anything. But, if carbon fiber is anything like fiberglass, it can indeed be very dangerous to work with.

EDIT: Just saw the DIY Thread on your setup. I suppose I didn't have to tell you any of this haha:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hi Moxley6969, did you know that carbon fibre is also electrically conductive ?, when using power sanders on carbon fibre the dust can get into the trigger and it can cause electrocution. it can also get into light switches so when you go to put that light on your lights could go out. i like people who are blaz'e about safety, they cannot be bothered to find out the correct information. you call BS on limb removal, that is entirely up to you. i wrote the original message to let the guy know that it CAN be dangerous, just take the right precautions. obviously safety in your eyes is not important, in my eyes it's very important, it's up to the individual to make that decision. here's an idea, find a bit of rough edged carbon fibre run your hand down the edge and then see how painful it is with carbon fibre strands embedded in your skin and see what happens. it was a safety warning to the guy to be careful

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 394 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 266 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 254 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 186 7.7%
  • < 5 years