F1 Possibly to Race on the Monza Bankings in 2022

Jim Rockford said it best when he was zipping around in a fake 1967 F1 car, that it's just so damned bumpy and it feels like the car is going to come apart at any second. Maybe that's not the exact quote, but he looked like he was getting jostled around so I believe it. On the other hand, nobody has mentioned anything yet about actually driving a modern F1 car on this track. Go get in Assetto, get in your SF70H and do a few laps. I will agree, the front wing would come back into the pits with very rounded endplates, but its actually fantastic. These are all just nitpicky little things though, the real issue with driving on the banking is staying inside of the haybales on the way in there.

When I first read the headline I thought they meant from a classic point of view. Running some historic F1 cars around say 70% of the old banked track (at demo speed) would be a sight to behold.

But modern cars? No way. Not safe enough. Never will be unless you seriously beat up the old track. I would prefer it to be restored so classics could demo run on it.

There was some talk about trying to reuse some of the brooklands banking for
Classic events but the track condition was so poor the idea never got off the ground. At least in monzas case they have more of the original track.

did they even have the money to like refresh the banking section to make it driveable and safe?

Well the funny thing is some years ago my dad and I stopped off at monza and we walked onto the track and had a look around. My dad thought it was in a terrible mess. The track infrastructure is so old it does make you wonder why Bernie had it in for silverstone so much.

Great track but very worn around the edges so to speak. So yeah. Where they'd get the money from I have no idea.

• Deleted member 6919

Can we start a pole now to who dies first...:whistling:

[QUOTE = "Gopher04, bericht: 2817769, lid: 6919"] Kunnen we nu een paal beginnen met wie als eerste sterft ... : Fluiten:[/ QUOTE]

We hebben Hallo :verward::lach:

Well, silly/impossible idea or not...it's still a very cool and welcome idea in the sea of unpopular decisions and boring racing F1 has had to offer for the last couple of years...

The bottom bit is still in use for a few events - perhaps that's the bit they meant. It's not like they have to worry about anyone passing there, given it's F1 :p

But seriously they'd need to rebuild the entire thing from scratch. Well, if Liberty want to fund it...

Let's have a little competition to see what a Tilke-designed banked track would look like.

Monza track directors may even want that but racing on high banked session is not that simple. And who would trust Pirelli to do a tire for it? They almost cant get "normal" tracks let alone an oval.

It seems Liberty Media is also considering to host all the GP’s in that year on historic and iconic F1 tracks. The old Spa circuit, Norschleiffe, Hockenheim and Zandvoort already have been confirmed and more to come. This is going to be awesome!!!

Mosport?? Let's see who has the balls to tackle it in a modern F1 car.

As for the Monza banking? It is making a few headlines if nothing else but in the safety minded world we live in I can't see it ever being a realistic goal. There's a reason they stopped racing on these tracks or parts of these tracks many years ago..

Monza, who, last I heard, was already haggling over nickels & dimes regarding the finances of financing an F1 race at all, is going to go out and spend the money to make the oval section not just driveable but safely driveable per FIA regulations. I'm not holding my breath!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 68 29.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 47 20.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 46 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.1%