F1 Possibly to Race on the Monza Bankings in 2022

I was there last month, and that cement infrastructure for the track is in pretty bad shape, but considering how old it is I was pretty surprised, even If it was resurfaced a short time ago.
It sure would be dangerous though. The drivers might have to worry about racing the track instead of crashing into one another.
Imagine too having to compromise a setup, and not having it dialed in to the nth degree. the drivers might have to try just that little bit harder.
I don't think it'll happen either, but it sure would be interesting to see all those little pieces of aero fall off a bit at a time .

This will never happen. I hope so, anyway. It would be suicidal to drive modern F1 cars on such a steep oval. If the drivers have an iota of common sense, they will shut down that idea quickly...

Actually, after the Wickens accident at Pocono, I'm beginning to think that modern open wheel cars should not run on any oval track. I know that many people will not share this point of view... I would make an exception for Indianapolis, but even that track is too dangerous... But tracks like Texas or Pocono are just too fast. I'm surprised there are not more fatalities.

I'm sorry if I insult anyone doing this research........Put the bong and Tide Pods away please. Then again, why not? F1 just needs a track to really test out the halo.................( I'm kidding ).... This would be a death trap waiting to happen. I say fake news for hype fest.

a bit of Insanity is what F1 nowdays actually needs. If they do this I'm sure they will redo the concrete on that section and perhaps redo the angle of banking...

But hey if they pull this off, what is next?
Remaking the old Hockenheim?

Even supposing the finance was there to completely modernise and resurface the old banked section, I cannot see this happening for safety reasons alone. The banking is far too steep, fast and dangerous for modern, high downforce open wheeled cars.

I dunno, maybe I'm completely wrong, but somehow this just feels like some kind of aspirational dream or a publicity stunt or something. However we'll see. Time will tell.

Jim Rockford said it best when he was zipping around in a fake 1967 F1 car, that it's just so damned bumpy and it feels like the car is going to come apart at any second. Maybe that's not the exact quote, but he looked like he was getting jostled around so I believe it.
They wouldn't just use the old track, they'd have to rebuild the hole thing. There's no way it's going to pass any F1 safety regulations.

They would need to rebuild to take more weight (because of down force), and figure out a way to catch cars crashing out at the top of the curve.

Overall I don't think it would make much difference to an F1 car, down force would mean it would be no different to taking any other long corner. Modern building would mean a smooth surface. It would be a lot of money for nothing really.

What I want to see is an upside down corner to see if these cars really have enough down force to drive upside down, banked curves are so last century.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back