F1 | Mercedes Running Controversial Steering System In Barcelona

Cheating. Plain and simple. But they'll probably allow it and just think how stupid the racing will be. Hamilton is already way out front. So now we'll have him lapping P2 on down the field. Should be great for an already marginally boring series. Shame. I had hopes it would go the other way.

I'm not a fan of this new system, but this definitely isn't cheating, in fact it can't possibly be cheating as:

1. The FIA were fully informed of Mercedes intention to run this system, were completely kept in the loop during it's development, and have given it their blessing, although probably reluctantly seeing as it's now outlawed next year.

2. Mercedes have now demonstrated the system to the world before the season is even underway, and have been clear about what the system does - although not the intent of it. This now allows other teams to either petition the FIA to get it banned, develop their own variation of the system - which honestly should be a relatively simple task for any competent F1 engineer, or decide that the difference it would make would not bring anything to the table.

Everything about this has been done completely above board, both with respect to both the FIA and the other teams. I'm also sure that Mercedes have developed this in such a way that the steering system can easily be converted to standard should it be banned later down the line.

Basically what Mercedes have done is said "Hey, we want to use this system, so complain now if you don't like it". Which is fair I think.

Its DUAL-axis steering, right? Or is it really DUEL? The axis'es are duelling to the death? Maybe the steering wheel coming off isnt so far off from reality after all. :D

I understand how the system will make nose stable in braking zone. and raise stopping power and improve brake cooling. But this system is banned in 2021. so teams will be reluctant to copy it. The Budget cap in 2021 will hurt the big 3 so this is there only chance before they have to cut costs. And mid pack teams can push forward.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.